Wisconsin is the most segregated state in America

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Wisconsin is the most segregated state in America

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 am

This doesn't look good for Wisconsin, especially for its black residents.

Median Income Gap: 48th

Labor Force Participation: 50th

Unemployment Rate Gap: 48th

Poverty Rate Gap: 50th

High School Diploma Gap: 47th

Standardized-Test Scores Gap: 45th

Voter Turnout Gap: 33rd

Infant-Mortality Rate Gap: 39th

Wisconsin also ranks 46th among states that have made the most racial progress, a poor indication that circumstances will soon change.

Full report.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wisconsin is the most segregated state in America

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am

And your Zip Code is probably the most segregated Hank :lol:

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:07 am

No, that would be Republican controlled areas surrounding Milwaukee.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:20 am

Henry Vilas wrote:No, that would be Republican controlled areas surrounding Milwaukee.

C'mon you old Bolsehvik. Near West Side? Lilly white rich old hippies and professors....tisk, tisk.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am

DC is worse than WI. In general, Southern and Rocky mtn states rate highest, Northern states rate lowest. Probably one reason is Southern states have highest non-White percentages and Northern have the lowest. Hard to explain Rocky mtn states. They have Native Americans and Hispanics but I thought they were mostly white.

In other words, the Red Repub states rate highest and Blue Dem states rate lowest generally.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:37 am

Ned hasn't been here in a while. I live near Hilldale. That's near west side. There are black people in my neighborhood. This area isn't wealthy, just middle class. There is a large Asian population in this area, and I met a new immigrant from Mexico the other day. Sure, a four-square block area west of UW is a wealthy white ghetto, and areas around Monroe Street are largely white, but some are not that wealthy. The southwest fringe area, which was largely white now has a large black population.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:18 am

My zip code includes Bayview and much of south Madison. Ned doesn't know (or care) what he is talking about.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm

As we all know, correlation does not mean causation. Nor does it eliminate causation.

For example, Madison has one of the highest percentages of autistic children of any place on the planet. What is in the water? Or it could be that the UW has a world class facility for dealing with autistic children, and there are families who move to Madison to be close to that facility. The father of an autistic child told me he moved his family to Madison for that reason, and he knew of many other families who had done the same.

Here is an example of a scenario in which Wisconsin could be the most wonderful place in the world for African Americans, but would still see the same results:

Suppose the white population of Wisconsin were above average in education, income, etc. Is this the case? It is at least for education. The New England Yankees, Germans and Scandinavians who settled Wisconsin in the 1800s were generally peoples who valued education, and that extends to their posterity.

Suppose the conditions in Wisconsin were much for favorable for a low income black family than, say, Chicago or other parts of northern Illinois. Then, one would expect a large number of low income black families from Northern Illinois to move to Wisconsin. For example, such a family might feel their kids would have a better chance of going to school and back without getting shot. I am sure we all have met families who moved to Madison from Chicago for that reason.

What does that mean?

I am not saying there is no racism in Wisconsin. I am part of a mixed race family, and family members have had first hand experience with racism.

I am saying that statistics give a snapshot, but they don't say what CAUSED that snapshot. Is it systemic racism, or some completely external cause? Most likely some of both.

Consider Hawaii, which has the LOWEST gap between whites and blacks of any state in the Union.
Other than some suburban schools, the public schools in Hawaii are terrible. No surprise that three of the largest private high schools in the US are in Honolulu (Kamehameha, which gives free education to students of Native Hawaiian ancestry; Punaho, which was founded by New England missionaries and was mostly white for many decades -- Obama attended Punaho; Iolani, which was founded by Asian immigrants who wanted a good school for their kids -- Sun Yet-Sen attended Iolani. ) So, the white kids, unless they are at Punaho or Iolani or one of the good suburban schools, aren't getting a good education. As for the black kids -- a very large percentage of the African Americans in Hawaii are associated with the military, or are families of veterans. So the average black kid in Hawaii is very likely the son or grandson of a serviceman or a veteran. (Obama was the grandson of a white veteran).

In other words, one would expect the average white in Hawaii to be below the national average in education, while the average black kid would be substantially above the national average. Therefore there would be a smaller gap. That doesn't mean racism doesn't exist in Hawaii.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:01 pm

If only the reporting on this is or would be as nuanced. But I don't expect it to. What I expect is a lot of anguish about what terrible people we are to have such numbers. And it's understandable, because we don't really have any other metrics, do we? So, we use what we have, and attempts to put it into context risks being seen as excusing racism.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My zip code includes Bayview and much of south Madison. Ned doesn't know (or care) what he is talking about.

Hank pretends he hangs out in the projects. In real life, he's off on one of his cruises or trips to exotic locales. :wave:

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Tell us about your zip code, Ned.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:44 pm

gargantua wrote:If only the reporting on this is or would be as nuanced. But I don't expect it to. What I expect is a lot of anguish about what terrible people we are to have such numbers. And it's understandable, because we don't really have any other metrics, do we? So, we use what we have, and attempts to put it into context risks being seen as excusing racism.

Recently there was an article in the Atlantic discussing how, in many ways, Anti-Racism was becoming a religion. The author was of the opinion that Anti-Racism has turned into a hunt for people with Bad Thoughts. Nobody wants to be accused of being a racist, since that can destroy one's life or at least career. The big problem is that the hunt for racists and racism often gets in the way of people doing things that could actually help out blacks. (The author is black, so he concentrated on blacks).

So, now we have had efforts for decades to "close the gap", but the gap isn't closing.

Are we even asking the right question?

Here is a different question:
What can we do to improve education for EVERYONE in Wisconsin, regardless of color. If we can improve education for EVERYONE, then minority students will greatly benefit. So will white students.

What can one person do?
Not much. I started by voting for Tony Evers. My feeling was with a lifetime professional educator in charge, at least we have someone who will try to improve things. With Walker, the quality of education was going down for everyone. I don't know if that made the gap bigger or smaller or kept it the same. All I know is it screwed over all the kids, including minorities.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:04 pm

How did teaching to pass the standardized test degrade our educational system?
In my opinion this discouraged teachers from individualizing and vary their teaching styles.

How has this data changed over time? I grew up in the Milwaukee area, which was very segregated. The areas settled by European immigrants were segregated by national origin.
It still had very ethnic neighborhoods when I lived there in the late 70s.

Hopefully we can improve our stats with our new governor. It's tempting to blame the last one, but this is part of our history.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Madsci wrote:Hopefully we can improve our stats with our new governor. It's tempting to blame the last one, but this is part of our history.

True. My knee-jerk reaction was to blame Walker, but these problems pre-date his time as Governor.
But it would be fair to say that he did little or nothing to improve the situation.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 am

Nice to see Ned and Henry having fun again. Don't worry, Mandela will work on this.

Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes to speak at UW MLK Day celebration
https://news.wisc.edu/lt-gov-mandela-ba ... lebration/

Return to “Headlines”