Bishop of Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
frankiewhalen

Bishop of Madison

Postby frankiewhalen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:28 am

Bishop Molino dead at 71.
My thoughts immediately go to his successor. Will the mold be broken?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bishop of Madison

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:02 am

Will anybody care?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:47 am

I wonder if some people won't be relieved...

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:49 am

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not a practicing Catholic anyway, so to an extent my feelings don't matter. But while I didn't agree with him on much of anything, he did his job. He followed, and taught, traditional Catholic doctrine. So while I thought I had problems with him, the real issue is that I had problems with his church. Too bad for us, and too bad for him, that he was such a bad fit for this diocese.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:44 pm

Always seemed to me that during the Morlino years, Catholic anti-semitism among youth in Madison saw a resurgence....but maybe just there was a resurgence of asshole parents....at least on the north side:(

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Will the powers that be replace him with someone better or worse?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Not being Catholic or even Christian, I'm struck by the very restrained, almost overly polite words being offered by the parishioners. This of course is only decent.

I wish them well with the replacement. If you're going to belong to an authoritarian organization over whose governance you have little or no control, you need all the luck you can get and I hope they come out OK.

At the same time it makes sense not to blame the leadership here for a dropoff in participation, because that appears to be nationwide. This is a very ancient organization not entirely relevant or suited to modern life, and it's struggling in many ways.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am

I know this is a blow to many of you. Try not to get too upset. Diocese press release with more information:
https://madisondiocese.org/documents/20 ... lino-1.pdf

snoqueen wrote:If you're going to belong to an authoritarian organization over whose governance you have little or no control, you need all the luck you can get and I hope they come out OK.

Sounds like the WI government. And Madison gvmnt.
Last edited by Beaver on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:21 am

Not Catholic. Morlino seemed to have his priorities less toward Jesus and more toward Satan. Rejecting people might make you feel superior in your religious belief, but it was something Jesus not only spoke against, but showed with his actions. Rest in turmoil, Bishop Morlino.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:37 am

Several well intending sounding groups gave him awards. He must have been doing something good.

"In 2006, the national Alliance for Marriage joined with the Congress of Racial Equality to present Bishop Morlino with their Lifetime Achievement Award, for his promotion of the fundamental rights of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion. In 2008, for his work in defense of the dignity of the human person, Bishop Morlino was awarded Human Life International’s Cardinal von Galen Award, named after the famous German bishop who worked actively against the Nazis. That same year, he also received the St. Edmund’s Medal of Honor, awarded to Catholics who have used their God-given talents in promoting the common good. In 2015, he was the recipient of the Relevant Radio Christ Brings Hope Award and earlier this year, he received the St. Thomas Aquinas College Medallion".

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:44 am

"Well intending sounding" heh. I could pretty much guarantee that anything called the "Alliance for Marriage" is in the business of discrimination and hate. I will go out on a limb and say any organization holding this person up as worthy of an award is an organization I likely wouldn't support. "Congress of Racial Equality" has a nice ring to it, though, maybe they're cool.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:17 pm

massimo wrote: "Congress of Racial Equality" has a nice ring to it, though, maybe they're cool.

Maybe not.
According to an interview given by James Farmer in 1993, "CORE has no functioning chapters; it holds no conventions, no elections, no meetings, sets no policies, has no social programs and does no fund-raising. In my opinion, CORE is fraudulent."

CORE has been criticized for its efforts promoting DDT use against malaria in Africa by environmentalist groups. An article in Mother Jones magazine accused the group of selling influence, writing that, "is better known among real civil rights groups for renting out its historic name to any corporation in need of a black front person. The group has taken money from the payday-lending industry, chemical giant (and original DDT manufacturer) Monsanto, and a reported $40,000 from ExxonMobil." In his book, Not A Conspiracy Theory: How Business Propaganda Hijacks Democracy, Donald Gutstein wrote that "In recent years CORE used its African-American facade to work with conservative groups to attack organizations like Greenpeace and undermine environmental regulation."

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Shocker!

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:00 pm

So many North Americans - with a measure of justification, it's true - point a finger at certain Shiite Islamic denominations, claiming: "They need to evolve from a 16th Century world view to a 21st Century one." Well, the same imperative applies to the Catholic Church as it exists in the United States today. Mr. Morlino's demise may provide an opportunity for just such an evolution locally, but I wouldn't count on it.
"Madison Bishop Morlino dies at 71 from apparent heart attack:"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... 0a7ed3f014

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:06 pm

You'd almost think that religions were externally imposed on mankind as an impediment to human scientific and social progress.

Return to “Headlines”