Paradise lost

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Paradise lost

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 am

Sounded like such a nice place. Too bad. Are those people in the photo?

At least 9 dead in wildfire that destroyed Paradise, California: 'There wasn't anywhere to go'
More than 1,000 structures have burned
https://www.channel3000.com/news/nation ... /853806124

"The blaze broke out early Thursday and has grown at an astonishing rate of 80 football fields per minute. It charred 20,000 acres Thursday in less than 14 hours and has burned an area larger than Manhattan, according to CNN meteorologists."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Paradise lost

Postby Shorty » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:54 am

48 dead so far, many still missing.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Camp Fire

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:22 pm

From one of the relief resource pages.
The Sikh Temple- 2468 Tierra Buena Road, Yuba City, is extending an invitation to evacuees from the Camp Fire to come to the temple for food and shelter. Temple President Sunny Singh says for more information please call the temple at 673-9918.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Shorty wrote:Sounded like such a nice place. Too bad. Are those people in the photo?

At least 9 dead in wildfire that destroyed Paradise, California: 'There wasn't anywhere to go'
More than 1,000 structures have burned
https://www.channel3000.com/news/nation ... /853806124

"The blaze broke out early Thursday and has grown at an astonishing rate of 80 football fields per minute. It charred 20,000 acres Thursday in less than 14 hours and has burned an area larger than Manhattan, according to CNN meteorologists."

i wonder if that spread out equally in all directions -- doing the ciphering in my head that comes out to a flame front moving at ~50 km/h at a bare minimum . . . i think the geometry for that 2003 fire near san diego moving four times as fast was different -- a narrow, elongated section of the fire -- so the spead in square metres, yards, chains per hour what have u may be comparable . . .

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:34 am

More than 1,000 missing. Not good. I wonder if this will approach Peshtigo levels? Deadliest fire in US history was Great Peshtigo Fire, a firestorm that ravaged the Wisconsin countryside in 1871, leaving more than 1,500 dead.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilde ... us-history

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 am

The Peshtigo Fire burned down telegraph lines and so the rest of the country didn't learn about it until days later. Also the Chicago Fire occurred on the same day and although very few lives were lost (compared to Peshtigo) it received immediate national attention.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:44 am

"I wish it weren't a Republican versus Democrat thing": Wildfire photographer Stuart Palley on climate change and California's devastating blazes
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/856 ... w-abnormal

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:23 pm

i notice that 2003 was about average for the period so those fires apparently happened in a short, intense burst, which sounds about right . . . i am thinking that if the graph went back 50 years and had a moving average line the message would look even more ambivalent. why? presumably variability especially in immediate and shorter time frames is part of climate change too, which also means floods and other non-precipitation and non-anomalous precipitation-related events with new twists like central pressure, wind velocity and the like. though given the close proximity of fuels and possible ignition all over the state most of the time, a 300-k/h wind storm even if it were a blizzard would have a fire accompany it before too long, it seems . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Shorty wrote:More than 1,000 missing. Not good. I wonder if this will approach Peshtigo levels? Deadliest fire in US history was Great Peshtigo Fire, a firestorm that ravaged the Wisconsin countryside in 1871, leaving more than 1,500 dead.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilde ... us-history

not only chicago but the much of the iron range of minnesota, holland, michigan, the "thumb" region of michigan, and a region of ontario were on fire at the same time . . . back before the "dirty snowball" theory of comets was prevalent, there was a theory of the fires on 8. october 1871 that a comet broke up and started it all . . . though in all of those cases it was a month or more without rain, and in the forest fire cases myriad smouldering piles of branches and wood chips, then 100 km/h+ straight line winds and at least two fire tornadoes* several miles across in the peshtigo case, pumping the temperature up up up up and burning up several counties in what in some cases appeared more like an atomic bomb afterwards . . .

---
* hence the name of the memorial in door county:
Last edited by gozer on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Last week I picked up a Life magazine from 1963. Inside was a story titled Hell Breaks Loose in Paradise. It was about a teacher in Paradise CA. named Virginia Franklin whom some parents accused of trying to subvert young minds with what they considered a leftist philosophy. One student went so far as to secretly record her using a hollowed out textbook.

Many similarities to the political climate we have in the country today, and an eerily prescient title.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Last week I picked up a Life magazine from 1963.

Was it in a dentist's office? I wonder if there are still copies of Boy's Life lying around.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:27 pm

once i went to a dermatologist in the spring of 1999 and i swear that amongst other interesting things there was a successful farming magazine from 1938 in the pile . . .

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 am

gargantua wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Last week I picked up a Life magazine from 1963.

Was it in a dentist's office? I wonder if there are still copies of Boy's Life lying around.

No, just at someone's house. I love Life mags from the 50's & 60's. The ads are beautiful.

Haven't seen a Boy's Life for a long time.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Meanwhile in Finland, the wild Woodland Roomba quietly goes about its all-important work of cleaning the forest floor.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:20 pm

i think there is also a flying roomba they use to screw with the conspiracy crowd . . .
"the government isn't disclosing all they know about flying saucers &c"
hej conspiracy dudes and dudettes, there is probably an uncommonly good reason, which could range from intellectual property concerns on vertical-takeoff-and-landing, contrabaric shielding, and/or electromagnetic propulsion work going on to the fact that if there really are aliens they want to eat our arse . . .

Return to “Headlines”