American Carnage Continues

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

American Carnage Continues

Postby david cohen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm

For a minute this morning, I was in panic. I woke up to find the news plastered with stories about a gunman murdering 12 people in a Thousand Oaks, Ca. club, on college country music night. Thousand Oaks straddles metro LA and Ventura county, and I quickly came to my senses that my son is no longer in a country band that plays the cowboy circuit in Southern California. Literally a minute later, my phone rang. It was my son, asking if i had seen the news. He never played that specific club, but he played all the other ones, from San Juan Capistrano to Bakersfield to Ventura to Santa Barbara to Redlands to the San Fernando Valley, for the better part of a year. Paying your dues shouldn't mean facing gunfire, but I digress. Once again, a mass shooting happens, and we are so numb to these acts that really, someone could walk into a daycare center (or a church or a synagogue) and kill all the kids and we would do nothing. New Zealand is looking awfully fucking inviting right about now. Will this nightmare EVER END? Probably how folks in Chicago or Baltimore or New Orleans or Atlanta or ______ have felt for a long time, eh?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: American Carnage Continues

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 pm

I caught that news on a radio as I was leaving a store today. Yes, we seem to be pretty damn numb right now. I have gone through that sort of momentary panic with my daughter. Along with the thought of what all those relatives and friends are going through right now, we also have the many thousands who didn't know whether one of their loved ones was there too.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 pm

We need more gun control laws.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Beaver wrote:We need more gun control laws.

I agree completely but we know that will only mean fewer shootings, not none. In this case it looks like the shooter was an honorably discharged veteran marine. I think he would have been able to circumvent any regulations we put in front of him.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 pm

You guys need to man up. Dying while having a drink and listening to some country music is the price we pay for freedom. I'm allowed to buy a gun and shoot up a nightclub, so why should I expect that others don't have the same right? Drug dealers can buy guns, so why can't I? That dude down the street who's schizophrenic and hates blacks and Jews? He can buy a gun... shouldn't I be able to purchase a gun to protect myself from him?

The problem with gun laws is that they prevent the people without guns from protecting themselves from all the people with guns. Duh.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:02 am

The shooter had a large capacity ammunition clip so he wouldn't be stopped from shooting during a reload. Why are such clips allowed as they are not used for defense, but only to insure many people are murdered in a short period of time?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 am

pjbogart wrote:You guys need to man up. Dying while having a drink and listening to some country music is the price we pay for freedom. I'm allowed to buy a gun and shoot up a nightclub, so why should I expect that others don't have the same right? Drug dealers can buy guns, so why can't I? That dude down the street who's schizophrenic and hates blacks and Jews? He can buy a gun... shouldn't I be able to purchase a gun to protect myself from him?

The problem with gun laws is that they prevent the people without guns from protecting themselves from all the people with guns. Duh.

What I'm saying is that THIS particular person would have been able to find firearms, clips, and ammo whether or not there were any laws against it.

In just about every other case, yeah stronger laws would help. And in fact I'm wondering if maybe all those other shootings were encouragement enough to help him decide to actually do it. That might or might not be the case, we might never know.

What we got right now is a demographic of violence-prone white males with no support network, minimal validation, lots of stress, easy access to violence propaganda, and easy access to firearms. Removing or minimizing any one of those parameters would mean fewer mass shootings.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:13 am

GUN CULTURE in America has been developing since 1492. It needs to be changed, but I'm not sure how. I think the Parkland Kids have the right idea, and 35 Pro-NRA Congresspersons were defeated on Tuesday...but we got a long way to go, baby.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:31 am

david cohen wrote:GUN CULTURE in America has been developing since 1492. It needs to be changed, but I'm not sure how. I think the Parkland Kids have the right idea, and 35 Pro-NRA Congresspersons were defeated on Tuesday...but we got a long way to go, baby.

I think back to the fifties and sixties and remember that we all knew tobacco wasn't good for you, we all knew long term smokers with horrible hacking coughs and non-smokers the same age who were so much younger looking and healthier, and it still took us another what, forty or fifty years to finally figure it out? Like, longer than one generation?

The gun subculture is locked much deeper into our society than cigarettes were, and it has much more validation from powerful members. The Parkland kids have given the change a good solid push but they'll be old and in the way before we get where we oughta be.

Return to “Headlines”