"Surefire Intelligence"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Weather Bob
Forum Addict

"Surefire Intelligence"

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm

PRICELESS!

Wohl declined to comment on his involvement with Surefire Intelligence. However, his email is listed in the domain records for Surefire Intelligence’s website and calls to a number listed on the Surefire Intelligence website went to a voicemail message which provided another phone number, listed in public records as belonging to Wohl’s mother.

Wohl stopped responding to NBC News after being told Surefire’s official phone number redirects to his mother’s voicemail.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Re: "Surefire Intelligence"

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Another example of "Surefire Intelligence" at work:

(alternate link) https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1057 ... 74016.html

My little Jacob Wohl story: August 2016, we're sitting around the trading turrets at my office on a bored to tears slow day. Our receptionist said someone was here for his 2pm appointment. None of us had an appointment on schedule. Who is it? we ask? Some guy named Jacob Wohl...
Last edited by Weather Bob on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:02 pm

More background on this too-clever-and-yet-also-stupid attempt to simultaneously prank the media and attack Mueller's office:

https://hillreporter.com/special-counse ... ault-12207

Fascinating:

The "woman" who started this entire thing doesn't appear to exist. The law firm says she never worked there. The phone number of the intermediary who allegedly offered the cash has been disconnected.

FWIW, Jack Burkman is a GOP activist who was responsible for the vile Seth Rich allegations:

@Jack_Burkman is behind a GOP scheme to offer women money to make up stories about Robert Mueller's alleged sexual harassment. The Special Counsel's office has referred the matter to the FBI. I was privy to this scheme. This thread will detail my experience. [more]

I don't think the FBI will be amused.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:53 pm

The plot thickens. While Wohl and Burkman apparently tried to troll the media with emails from a nonexistent woman claiming to have been offered money to accuse Mueller ... they also apparently tried to convince actual, real women to do the same.

You geniuses probably should have stuck with one plan or the other, rather than trying to do both simultaneously.

Jennifer Taub, an associate professor at Vermont Law School, received an email from a man using a Surefire Intelligence email address around the same time, on October 22. "It's my understanding that you may have had some past encounters with Robert Mueller,” he told Taub, according to the email she forwarded me on Tuesday afternoon. “I would like to discuss those encounters with you.” (Taub told me she has never had any encounters with Mueller, though she does appear on CNN at times as an expert commentator.)

“I believe a basic telephone call, for which I would compensate you at whatever rate you see fit (inside reason), would be a good place to start,” the man continued. “My organization is conducting an examination of Robert Mueller's past. Tell me a decent method to contact you by telephone (or Signal, which would be ideal) and a beginning rate to talk with you about all encounters you've had with Special Counsel Mueller. We would likewise pay you for any references that you may have. Lastly, I would appreciate your discretion here, as this is a very sensitive matter." Taub told me she forwarded the email to the special counsel’s office, noting that she did not plan to respond.

And the Special Counsel's office alerted the FBI. And Jacob Wohl's name is on the "Surefire Intelligence" paperwork.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Their "Tel Aviv Station Chief" is an Israeli supermodel. Their LA "Private Investigator" is British model/photographer Nick Hopper. Their "Head of Government Relations" also works as a model for stock photos.
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/ ... ence-pics/

Their website claims "World-Class Cyber Capabilities". Ehh, not so much. We (presumably including the FBI) can only hope that they actually go ahead with Thursday's big announcement.

Please proceed, gentlemen. Please!

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 pm

So Wohl used his mom's phone number and a bunch of stock photos to set up this company? Apparently under the impression that there's no such thing as a reverse image search?

NBC has updated their story (linked in the OP):

Gateway Pundit has now posted a message on its site that says, "Earlier today we were given information on accusations against former FBI Director Robert Mueller. We took the documents down and are currently investigating these accusations. There are also serious allegations against Jacob Wohl. We are also looking into this."

Normally gatewaypundit is perfectly happy to spread complete and utter fabrications, so this is a bit surprising. Maybe they aren't quite so reckless as usual when it's suddenly become a federal case.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:01 pm

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Is this idiocy graded on a curve? If so, we’re going to have to upgrade Watergate to “second-rate break-in” or better.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 pm

Cadfael wrote:So young to have made such a name for himself.
The guy was 19 in 2017.

Yep. From the link in the 2nd post:

Jacob Wohl, for those out of loop, gained quite a bit of notoriety for becoming the youngest guy to ever get himself barred for life from the financial industry.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 pm

I can't decide if this is shocking or hilarious so I'll go with hilarious.

It's telling evidence a certain sector of the populace has political activity conflated with performance art. Whoever gave them that idea?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:54 pm

I am much more interested in his rise than his fall. You don't get to be a disgraced hedge fund manager until you actually are a hedge fund manager.

And he was 19. How the hell did he do that? I thought rich people had some sort of selection process for people who took care of their money.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:05 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's telling evidence a certain sector of the populace has political activity conflated with performance art. Whoever gave them that idea?

Uhh, politicians?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:I can't decide if this is shocking or hilarious so I'll go with hilarious.

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, but there is nothing funny about this shit anymore. Conservative activists will stop at nothing to break into the coveted propaganda circles that will start making them money. This is nothing but another blossoming James O'Keefe trying to position himself for a spot on FoxNews. They lie, they cheat, they steal... and they don't care about any of it because the GOP propaganda machine rewards their trickery even when they get caught.

This guy will be a hero to conservatives. He's speaking "truth to power".

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 pm

pjbogart wrote:This guy will be a hero to conservatives. He's speaking "truth to power".

He could certainly make a comeback but freakin gatewaypundit dumped him and they did it in a sort of angry annoyed way. They probably made a few belated phone calls of their own and they're acting like they heard some harsh words from people with deep pockets. He's not making the kind of news they want to hear right now. I don't think he's on the fast track any more.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Cadfael wrote:I am much more interested in his rise than his fall. You don't get to be a disgraced hedge fund manager until you actually are a hedge fund manager.

And he was 19. How the hell did he do that? I thought rich people had some sort of selection process for people who took care of their money.

Ah. I see. He built the hedge fund himself, so there wasn't any selection process, other than the ability to convince a group of people with hundreds of thousands of dollars in their pockets that he was the very model of the modern hedge fund manager.

Still. The story of how he got himself that far has got to be interesting. How did he get the connections? Did he have any seed money? How did he learn to sound like he knew what he was talking about?

Return to “Headlines”