"All Jews Must Die"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "All Jews Must Die"

Postby david cohen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:55 pm

I agree that it's a very complex dynamic, much like racism. I have plenty of conservative republican friends who (I assume) like me personally but still feed into the MAGA/Trump/WASP exclusivity. One even told me not to worry, if the blacks ever rise up, he's packing heat and WILL defend his friends! I know staunch Christians who attend church and even work for the church and they see Jews as some sort of revered white buffalo type of thing and have a strong desire to "save" me. They are unable to separate Jews from Israel and see the Holy Land as their ultimate resting place when Christ returns. But they are also peaceful people and not what I'd consider to be alt-right. Still, they are as hypocritical as I can possibly imagine- staunchly opposed to abortion yet some of them have had multiple abortions when we were college kids together, staunchly born again yet harbor animosity towards immigrants, LGBTQ community members etc. Like I said, it's really complex.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:44 pm

david cohen wrote:And let's NOT FORGET that a white guy hunted down 2 black strangers in Louisville this past week and murdered them in cold blood for no other reason than to watch them die....after he unsuccessfully tried to get into a black church to kill people:(

I saw "BlacKKKlansman" at The Market Square theater last night. As the movie ended and the credits rolled, a woman out of our 'crowd' of about 20 cried out something like, "OMG! OMG! Do you see what I see. (Mumble) Trump that son of a bitch. We're living in a fascist state! RIGHT NOW!!" Not her exact words... the effect of the movie combined with footage of the Charlottesville protests at the end was overwhelming and really drove it home. Everyone seemed a bit stunned, and speechless, not knowing what exactly to think or say.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Here's a little clue for Jews. The righty Christians who love Israel don't really like Jews, unlike the mainstream Christians who look askance at some of what Israel does, but love Jews. To righty Christians, Jews are holding Israel for the time being, until they convert to Christianity, in other words, until they cease to exist as Jews.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Donald wrote:Here's a little clue for Jews. The righty Christians who love Israel don't really like Jews, unlike the mainstream Christians who look askance at some of what Israel does, but love Jews. To righty Christians, Jews are holding Israel for the time being, until they convert to Christianity, in other words, until they cease to exist as Jews.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I am wondering how you know this. Just trying to determine if this is an assertion or a fact.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:53 am

in the view of some fundamentalist groups, the return of the jewish diaspora to israel is a sine qua non for the beginning of the final countdown to the second coming of j c , for good or ill -- jimmy swaggart and especially pat robertson make reference to this all the time.

the alternative forms of christian philo-semitism are a lot more straightforward . . . the latter day saints know the history of less than perfect religious tolerance in the country and therefore have been outspoken about anti-semitism, anti-muslim bias, and other similar narrow-mindedness which seems to only be getting worse. after all, the latter day saints movement back at the beginning was run out of several towns on their way west and joseph smith was murdered. . . .and they are also cognisant of the fact that j c was a jewish carpenter and he did not declare the old testament null and void.

there are eastern orthodox and non-chalcedonian christian churches like the ethiopian orthodox tewahedo church which observe saturday, or in that case both satuday and sunday, as the sabbath, keep kosher, and observe a number of the jewish holy days . . . there are protestant and evangelical denominations which also observe the saturday sabbath and the rest of above because they believe that the lost tribes of israel wound up in the british isles or elsewhere. there was a small splinter of this movement which evolved into something almost diametrically opposite, viz christian identity, and provided an excuse for people groups like the aryan nations and the covenant, the sword & the arm of the lord, which said that they ("aryans") were the lost tribes and the others were satanic imposters; not very nice people, and in keeping with a complaint hitler voiced in mein kampf, the nazis tried to start their own churches to compete with the roman catholic and lutheran et al churches within the reich and referred to the ideology as "positive christianity" something that the roman catholic church read out of the church in the early iii. century in coming out against the heresy of marcionism which rejected the entire old testament and any parts of the new testament written by jewish converts, and the 1937 papal encyclical mit brennender sorge . . .

there is a spectrum of opinion as to the relevance of the old testament and the effect of the new covenant handed down by j c -- ranging from hard supersessionism that the new completely supersedes the old to the soft supersessionism amongst various denominations which emphasises the incompleteness of this and the fact that the old and new covenants, to outright non-supersessionism in the case of the majority of the latter day saints and others who declare both are in full effect . . .

my own personal opinion* is that christianity is the fifth branch of judaism and islam is the sixth; furthermore i am close to 100 per cent certain that when j c comes back he is going to have the 12. imam (and/or others as the ismailis, zaydi (houthis), alawites, druze and others theorise) with him and am inclined to take what mohammad, joseph smith, and others in the time in between at nearly face value; confucius, buddha, plato, darwin and others too . . . what of all this makes the most difference is down to historical and cultural reasons and so forth . . .

---
* as a croatian byzantine catholic, an eastern catholic denomination having always been in communion with the vatican, much like the maronites in the levant various near eastern, armenian, coptic and other churches . . . not exactly the official version . . .
Last edited by gozer on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:56 am

Ten years ago when people suggested that the GOP was using "Nazi-esque" tactics to build support, they were immediately slapped down with Godwin's Law. Now, with a lock-tight propaganda machine and a base constituency that responds best to scapegoating and fear-mongering, the Nazi comparisons weren't simply foreboding, there are ACTUAL Nazis gaining a foothold in our political discourse. They're still considered fringe extremists, but their message has a lot of mainstream components, the most obvious of which is the outright hostility shown to minority groups.

The United States could use a serious dose of pessimism these days. Rather than assuming that the Republican Party will right its own ship and move away from the scapegoating, fear-mongering and outright propaganda that has successfully put them in charge of all three branches of government, let's instead assume the worst. Let's assume that we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg; that American society is NOT "basically good-natured" and that voters will NOT "make the right decision in the end". For the sake of the people currently under assault, let's not gamble their lives just because we don't want to believe that our neighbors are pieces of shit. Because sometimes they are.

Any political party that simply invents their own network of "facts" can never be good for democracy. Even if you assume that people are basically good-natured, democracy depends upon an informed electorate. I have faith that the United States can survive the current incarnation of the GOP, but it's going to be a bumpy road. Republicans don't care about truth, they care about power. And they're going to continue using the tactics that gave them power as long as the tactics work. A mail-bomber and a synagogue shooter might temper their language, but if you think they're going to quit obsessing over "the caravan", I think you're sadly mistaken.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this week will be worse than last week. Because our future just might depend on a healthy dose of pessimism.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am

pjbogart wrote:Rather than assuming that the Republican Party will right its own ship and move away from the scapegoating, fear-mongering and outright propaganda that has successfully put them in charge of all three branches of government, let's instead assume the worst.

Steve King is still an elected official representing Iowa. He receives no censure from Republican leadership. He does not face any primary challengers.
In an interview with a website associated with the party, King (R-Iowa) declared that “Western civilization is on the decline,” spoke of the replacement of white Europeans by immigrants and criticized Hungarian American financier George Soros, who has backed liberal groups around the world.

King is not a fan of "diversity", and he is very stupid.
“What does this diversity bring that we don’t already have?” King said in the interview. “Mexican food, Chinese food, those things — well, that’s fine. But what does it bring that we don’t have that is worth the price? We have a lot of diversity within the U.S. already.”

King is just saying openly what the Republican party stands for today. There is no reason to expect them to change.

Return to “Headlines”