Pipe Bombs sent to Dems

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Pipe Bombs sent to Dems

Postby Shorty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:33 pm

Reminds me of Judge Robert Vance attack.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cnn-presiden ... 04747.html

"Hours after what the Secret Service described as “a potentially explosive package” was recovered at CNN’s New York offices, similar to the ones sent to Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and George Soros, the head of the network released a statement that pointed the finger at President Trump and his administration.

“There is a total and complete lack of understanding at the White House about the seriousness of their continued attacks on the media,” CNN president Jeff Zucker said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. “The President, and especially the White House Press Secretary should understand their words matter. Thus far, they have shown no comprehension of that.”

The package sent to CNN was found in the mailroom of the Time Warner Center in New York City, and it triggered an evacuation of the building that lasted several hours. It was addressed to former CIA Director John Brennan, a commentator on MSNBC — not CNN — who is frequently critical of Trump."

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pipe Bombs sent to Dems

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:49 pm

False flags. Republicans never do things like this. It's a violent band of murdering progressives who will stop at nothing to achieve their goal of forced gay marriage and unfettered abortions.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 pm

My wife informs me that some right wing yokels on Facebook are claiming that Democrats are doing it to influence the election.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:24 am

gargantua wrote:My wife informs me that some right wing yokels on Facebook are claiming that Democrats are doing it to influence the election.

That was the theme among right-wing radio talk show hosts yesterday. Perhaps the most disturbing screed was, predictably, Rush Limbaugh. He basically condemned violence against Democrats, but did so in a very strange tone, almost as if he was being sarcastic or at least somewhat jovial. He would then take phone calls from listeners who accused Democrats outright of trying to tilt the election by sending the bombs. Of course, he found all of their points "very interesting". Perhaps most interesting was how he talked about the situation in his usual tone and vocabulary, referring to Debbie "Blabbermouth" Schultz and Barack "Hussein O". None of these people, he asserted, were appropriate targets for a bomber because they are no longer important within Democratic circles. This despite the fact that Rush Limbaugh routinely ridicules these very same people every day on his radio program.

Even if we were to assume the worst case scenario of a "false flag" operation, we need to assess whether it's appropriate for our public airwaves to carry a non-stop litany of verifiable lies and political propaganda. The airwaves belong to us, the American people. Political operatives who use those airwaves to spread false information should receive some sort of strike and endanger their FCC licenses for continued abuse. I'm not talking about differences of opinions, I'm talking about verifiable lies that they tell every day in order to confuse, frighten and divide us. The First Amendment does not protect your right to tell lies.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:34 am

Trump blames the media. Probably for reporting all the threatening statements he has repeatedly made towards his political enemies.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:49 am

How does a person even get the mail address for Obama, Clinton, Holder, etc? Just do a search?

http://www.fanmail.biz/110194.html

dooley
Forum Addict

Postby dooley » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 am

pjbogart wrote:Even if we were to assume the worst case scenario of a "false flag" operation, we need to assess whether it's appropriate for our public airwaves to carry a non-stop litany of verifiable lies and political propaganda. The airwaves belong to us, the American people. Political operatives who use those airwaves to spread false information should receive some sort of strike and endanger their FCC licenses for abuse. I'm not talking about differences of opinions, I'm talking about verifiable lies that they tell every day in order to confuse, frighten and divide us. The First Amendment does not protect your right to tell lies.

I don't disagree with this. I'm not above listening to a bit o' Rush or a bit o' Vicky McKenna and both shows are just commercials for Republicans between commercials for testosterone pills. A few weeks back, McKenna was waxing about how social media was so toxic and even something as simple as pumpkin spice could make people turn on each other. She seemed to be seeking a kinder, more gentle discourse about things like pumpkin spice. Afterward she went back to talking about the vitriol of the radical left and the harm they wish to inflict on our country with a guest from a conservative think tank.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:35 am

Imagine if pipe bombs had been sent to the Bushes, Cheney, Rush, FOX, etc, instead. Repub leaders would call for an end to the Dem party and a liberal media blackout, right wing nuts would get out their guns and patrol cities looking for Dems to shoot at.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:15 am

Maybe the Russians did it.
I'm not kidding. Look at how mad everybody is.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:24 am

Shorty wrote:Imagine if pipe bombs had been sent to the Bushes, Cheney, Rush, FOX, etc, instead. Repub leaders would call for an end to the Dem party and a liberal media blackout, right wing nuts would get out their guns and patrol cities looking for Dems to shoot at.

It was a little over a year ago when a (self-described) left-wing activist attempted to assassinate several Republican members of Congress, sending four people to the hospital. I don't recall the reaction from Repub leaders and/or right-wing nuts being as extreme as the one you are envisioning in this scenario.

That aside...those who mock any possibility of the pipe bombs being a "false flag" operation aren't much different than those who insist it must be a false flag operation. There aren't any facts at all in right now about who is responsible, and thus both those claims/attitudes are nothing more than ugly & divisive partisan politics...which is doing far more damage to our country than a couple of intercepted pipe bombs have done.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:36 am

OK fair point. But the baseball targets were lower profile targets than the pipe bomb targets. That shooter was killed and we knew who to blame.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 am

penquin wrote:
Shorty wrote:Imagine if pipe bombs had been sent to the Bushes, Cheney, Rush, FOX, etc, instead. Repub leaders would call for an end to the Dem party and a liberal media blackout, right wing nuts would get out their guns and patrol cities looking for Dems to shoot at.

It was a little over a year ago when a (self-described) left-wing activist attempted to assassinate several Republican members of Congress, sending four people to the hospital. I don't recall the reaction from Repub leaders and/or right-wing nuts being as extreme as the one you are envisioning in this scenario.

That aside...those who mock any possibility of the pipe bombs being a "false flag" operation aren't much different than those who insist it must be a false flag operation. There aren't any facts at all in right now about who is responsible, and thus both those claims/attitudes are nothing more than ugly & divisive partisan politics...which is doing far more damage to our country than a couple of intercepted pipe bombs have done.

We have to wait for the investigation to find out what who did it and what the motive was. There are a lot of folks on the right it could be, but there are some people on the left (the chem-trailers and Steiners) who are just as loony as the deplorables. And, don't forget the Russians and any other foreign government or organization.

I don't monitor any righty sites anymore. It got too depressing. I expect they are expressing sadness that the bombs didn't go off.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:11 pm

pjbogart wrote:Even if we were to assume the worst case scenario of a "false flag" operation, we need to assess whether it's appropriate for our public airwaves to carry a non-stop litany of verifiable lies and political propaganda. The airwaves belong to us, the American people. Political operatives who use those airwaves to spread false information should receive some sort of strike and endanger their FCC licenses for continued abuse. I'm not talking about differences of opinions, I'm talking about verifiable lies that they tell every day in order to confuse, frighten and divide us. The First Amendment does not protect your right to tell lies.

I was informed a few years ago that actually yes it does, as long as we are not costing anyone any money when we do it. I cannot remember the law I was quoted, but the beginning of the end was the Reagan administration and the rise of Fox News.

The gist of the conversation was that money is now the big decider. If it can't be proven that our lies have deprived someone of money somehow, we can keep on lying.

We can change the law to something like Canada has, but right now I'm pretty sure our laws are not being broken by Rush Limbaugh.

Wouldn't mind at all if someone were to prove me wrong but it sure seems like there'd be a few more lawsuits and federal charges filed if it were illegal to lie on the teevee.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Don't the libel and slander laws cover that?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Don't the libel and slander laws cover that?

According to "that guy," those are are all we have. Fox News has to try not to libel or slander anyone but that's all they have to do.

There is no law that says "when you say something on TV, even it's news, you're supposed to at least try to tell the truth."

They can lie through their teeth. And they do. As long as they keep their lies out of the slander and libel laws, they're fine.

Return to “Headlines”