The NRA: America's ISIS.

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

NRA: America's ISIS?

Postby DCB » Fri May 11, 2018 8:58 am

penquin wrote:Mr. North sounds just as dumb with that comparison as jonnygothispen does with his.

Maybe a week ago I would have agreed that the comparison was silly.
After hiring an actual terrorist, the comparison is more real than silly.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The NRA: America's ISIS.

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon May 14, 2018 11:30 am

Get this man a rubber room... or at least a rubber. One Oliver North is one too many.

https://www.themaven.net/theintellectua ... K5XlwUpLA/

"Oliver North: Gun Owners Are As Oppressed As Blacks Were Under Jim Crow"

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/u ... kland.html

“He’s just continuing to spread fear. He’s definitely a good fit for his new job,” Ryan Deitsch, a senior at the school, said in an interview during his lunch period on Friday.

"Never knew that not wanting to die by being shot by an AR-15 in my classroom was considered terrorism,” Lauren Hogg, a Stoneman Douglas student, said...

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NRA: America's ISIS?

Postby penquin » Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 am

DCB wrote:After hiring an actual terrorist, the comparison is more real than silly.

No doubt he's a slime-ball, as well as an illegal arms broker and possibly a drug dealer as well. But I don't see how "terrorist" would apply to North. Could you explain how you got to there?

Lauren Hogg wrote:Never knew that not wanting to die by being shot by an AR-15 in my classroom was considered terrorism

That's not why Oliver North used the "terrorism" word. Rather, it's because some people were using threats and vandalism in an attempt to intimidate their political opponents.

fwiw, I don't agree with his opinion that the attacks he mentioned rises to the level of "terrorism".

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 am

Confusing toxic politics are what they are,
Popping Oliver at the helm is a tell.
Reasonable opinion is disregarded yesterday-today-& for our foreseeable future.
"#Sad"

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 am

Ollie's drug trafficking clinic for wannabe armers of dictators who kill their own people...

https://theintercept.com/2018/05/12/oli ... an-contra/

... North’s connections to drug trafficking were so egregious that in 1989 he was banned from entering Nicaragua’s neighbor Costa Rica by Óscar Arias, the country’s president and 1987 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NRA: America's ISIS?

Postby DCB » Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 am

penquin wrote:
DCB wrote:After hiring an actual terrorist, the comparison is more real than silly.

No doubt he's a slime-ball, as well as an illegal arms broker and possibly a drug dealer as well. But I don't see how "terrorist" would apply to North. Could you explain how you got to there?

He illegally sold weapons to Iran, which was prohibited because Iran was considered a leading supporter of terrorism.

He used the profits to illegally fund the Contras, which was prohibited because they Contras were a terrorist organization.

If you want to quibble, you could say he was a sponsor of terrorism.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 am

i would label Oliver North a terrorist.

This is someone who ran drugs and guns to support terrorist organizations and a terrorist state. This made him part of a criminal conspiracy to commit terrorism.

Others may disagree about the semantics.

In some other posts I heavily criticized Angela Davis as a terrorist, because she ran guns for a terrorist organization. (Although she was actually acquitted of criminal charges, which either means they didn't have enough proof or that whatever she was doing might not be LEGALLY considered terrorism, but I would morally consider it terrorism).

I convinced my daughter not to join a Woman's March because Angela Davis was one of the sponsors of the march.

Needless to say, i would consider anyone who still supports the NRA after North ascending to their presidency as either ignorant or immoral. I think ignorant is a real possibility, because in Right-Wing World, North is treated as a hero. Seriously, he is. So anyone who is stuck in the Right-Wing World echo chamber might not realize what a scum bag he truly is.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

Paleo2 wrote:Needless to say, i would consider anyone who still supports the NRA after North ascending to their presidency as either ignorant or immoral. I think ignorant is a real possibility, because in Right-Wing World, North is treated as a hero. Seriously, he is. So anyone who is stuck in the Right-Wing World echo chamber might not realize what a scum bag he truly is.

I suppose it's possible that there are NRA members who don't know what North has done.

But the majority of them do in fact know exactly what he's done and approve of it. Part of it is cognitive dissonance but most of it is that the NRA's current membership is pretty much a whole bunch of little wannabe Ollie Norths. They know his back story and he's a role model.

He's a success. Sure, those damn libs messed him up a little bit but he's back, he's flush, he's on top, and now he's messing up them damn libs. What's not to love?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: what do we do with terrorists?

Postby penquin » Mon May 21, 2018 11:25 am

I still disagree with the comparison, but for the purpose of this discussion I will stipulate that the NRA is a terrorist organization akin to ISIS.

So now what? Launch cruise missiles at the homes of their leadership? Lock up their members in Gitmo indefinitely? Bring in for questioning anyone who is publicly making comments against gun control? Freeze the bank accounts of anyone engaged in supporting the goals of this group?

What exactly should be be done in regards to terrorist organizations, especially ones that are on our own soil?

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon May 21, 2018 11:28 am

Ban them from buying elections.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon May 21, 2018 11:45 am

jonnygothispen wrote:Ban them from buying elections.

What laws or actions would you like to see enacted that will prevent terrorist organizations from "buying elections"? And is that the only thing you beleive we should do in regards to terrorist organizations?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 pm

Repealing Citizens United and banning all dark money from campaigns would be a good start.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 pm

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: what do we do with terrorists?

Postby penquin » Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Repealing Citizens United and banning all dark money from campaigns would be a good start.

On this, we agree. Tho it would be difficult to actually implement I think we should work towards such goals.

But I hardly think that is all we should do to combat terrorist organizations - is that really the only actions you wish to see taken to combat enablers of death and murderers of children?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 am

Don't put words into my mouth, Mr. Question.

Return to “Headlines”