Oregon's on fire

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Oregon's on fire

Postby Cadfael » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 pm

What with all the Canadian fire threads, Trump threads, old threads, dead threads, empty threads, Katrina threads, Harvey threads, and all those other thread threads, it seems like we missed Oregon's forest fires.

Hundreds of thousands of acres are ablaze across the state, with the largest fire, the Chetco Bar fire, burning nearly 143,000 acres of Southwest Oregon as of Saturday. The Oregon Department of Forestry said there are four wildfires, or wildfire complexes, larger than 20,000 acres in the state.

Most of the state's big fires are in the Cascades, spanning from the Washington to California border.

Not too far from Portland, a new fire ignited Saturday afternoon in the Columbia River Gorge, leaving 140 hikers stranded overnight. The Eagle Creek fire quickly spread to the east, growing to about 3,000 acres by Sunday.

Hope you didn't use up all your donation budget on the Harvey victims.

Oh, and here's a map of all wildfires in the country:
http://wxshift.com/climate-change/clima ... -wildfires

frankiewhalen

Re: Oregon's on fire

Postby frankiewhalen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:09 am

Relatives just arrived here from Eugene. Along with prolonged high heat, the choking smoke from the fires is being held near the ground. Miserable and dangerous conditions.
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... r.html.csp

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:17 am

i am wondering if the smoke from the various fires which made it higher into the atmosphere was what made it possible to look directly at the sun for a while this morning, at least from the south-west side of madison . . . i would have thought i could have made out sunspots, but not quite . . .

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:03 pm

gozer wrote:i am wondering if the smoke from the various fires which made it higher into the atmosphere was what made it possible to look directly at the sun for a while this morning, at least from the south-west side of madison . . . i would have thought i could have made out sunspots, but not quite . . .
You may want to have your optical sensors checked, just in case there's any damage.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:22 pm

Actually its much of the NW US.
(until just now, I did know that there was a website called "Wildfire Today").

And also in LA.
And also in British Columbia

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 pm

And there are wildfires in the Arctic, including Greenland, to an extent not seen at least since the last Ice Age.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

California on fire

Postby Beaver » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:50 am

By Madison Park. She should move here and work for the city parks.

At least 11 dead as fires rage in Northern California
By Madison Park and Ralph Ellis, CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/califo ... index.html

"• At least 11 people have died since Sunday night when most of the fires began. Seven deaths were reported in the city of Santa Rosa in Sonoma County, two in Napa County, one in Mendocino County and one in Yuba County, according to officials.

• About 1,500 homes and businesses have been destroyed by the three largest fires in Northern California alone -- in Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino counties, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesman Daniel Berlant said Tuesday.

• More than 100 people were being treated at Napa- and Sonoma-area hospitals for fire-related injuries or health issues, including burns, smoke inhalation and shortness of breath.

• Wildfires were burning more than 119,032 acres in California as of Monday night. "

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:01 pm

At least 21 dead in horrific California wildfires, hundreds missing
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/thousands-fle ... ories.html

Couple, 98 and 100, Who Died in Fire ‘Just Couldn’t Be Without Each Other’
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/us/w ... .html?_r=0

"There were few tangible signs left of his parents’ long life together, from their childhoods in Hartford to the University of Wisconsin-Madison where they both graduated, or from their far-flung travels during World War II to Charles Rippey’s job as an engineer for Firestone, the tire company.

The Rippeys got married before the war took him to North Africa, France and Italy; when he returned, they settled down to have children, five in all.

Ms. Rippey was always busy, playing bridge, golf and tennis, and taking care of the home while her husband worked. Mr. Rippey doted on his wife, buying her jewelry and calling his wife “the Queen.” (Everyone knew him as “Peach,” the nickname his mother had given him as a child.)"

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 pm

I do some consulting work for a company in San Francisco.

I got an email today that the company is handing out masks for employees who need to walk outside. The air is really that bad.

Normally when I travel to San Fran for business trips I walk around some for sightseeing, and I walk a few miles every day for exercise. If this mess hasn't cleared up by my next trip, it might be Uber uber walking.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

California on fire

Postby Beaver » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 am

Northern California blazes now largest in state history
https://www.yahoo.com/news/twin-califor ... 37310.html

"Twin Northern California blazes fueled by dry vegetation and hot, windy weather grew Monday to become the largest wildfire in state history, becoming the norm as climate change makes the fire season longer and more severe.

The two fires burning a few miles apart and known as the Mendocino Complex are being treated as one incident. It has scorched 443 square miles (1,148.4 square kilometers), fire officials said Monday. The fires, north of San Francisco, have burned 75 homes and is only 30 percent contained."

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 am

Some articles say the problem is global warming,

Then, the right wingers say, no, the problem is improper forest management, plus too many houses being built in forested areas.

The answer is, all of the above.

Due to improper forest management, there really is too much flammable bush on the ground, which adds most of the fuel to the fire.
Due to a much drier climate, the trees and brush are much drier, and burn more easily.
Putting houses in the forest doesn't help at all, either.

Lots of blame to go around.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 am

Paleo2 wrote:Some articles say the problem is global warming,

Then, the right wingers say, no, the problem is improper forest management, plus too many houses being built in forested areas.

The answer is, all of the above.

Due to improper forest management, there really is too much flammable bush on the ground, which adds most of the fuel to the fire.
Due to a much drier climate, the trees and brush are much drier, and burn more easily.
Putting houses in the forest doesn't help at all, either.

Lots of blame to go around.

Yup. It's easy to blame the ground fuel for the increase in the numbers of fires but it gets a little more difficult to use that, or all the new dwellings, to explain why the fire season is three months longer than it was in the 70's.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:48 pm

there was mention of one of these fires moving faster than had been seen in the past, quite a shocking thing given that in the autumn of 2003 one of the fires near san diego had a flame front moving at ~100 km/h/60 miles per hour -- probably a mode of propagation which is quickly self-limiting i would imagine, in that case i think it reached the pacific ocean in a short time, which even that fire could not have jumped . . . i believe the most common measure of that kind of thing is in chains per hour, a chain being about 66 feet/20 m per hour . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:10 pm

smoke's headed this way -- we will be able to look right at the sun most of the day coming up perhaps . . .

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Little smoky in Minny yesterday.

Return to “Headlines”