Foxconn sweatshop

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Foxconn sweatshop

Postby jman111 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:32 am

massimo wrote:Will we still be on the hook for $3B+ if Foxconn predictably scales back their plans?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/23/foxconn- ... ory-plans/

Astonishingly, despite all the denials, Foxconn will scale back their plans for the WI site, after all.
While two economic-impact analyses prepared last year and the state’s contract with Foxconn say the company will build a type of factory that carves display panels out of immense sheets of wafer-thin glass, Foxconn now says it first will erect a plant that uses much smaller sheets of glass.

Such factories typically are much smaller and less-expensive than the sort of plant Foxconn originally planned, industry observers say.

Foxconn scales back plans for its first factory in Mount Pleasant

I'm just shocked. SHOCKED, I say. Who could have possibly foreseen this?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm

10K + new jobs? Sounds like a #MAGA moment to me.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:10K + new jobs?

Keep drinkin'.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:00 pm

jman111 wrote:
massimo wrote:Will we still be on the hook for $3B+ if Foxconn predictably scales back their plans?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/23/foxconn- ... ory-plans/

Astonishingly, despite all the denials, Foxconn will scale back their plans for the WI site, after all.
While two economic-impact analyses prepared last year and the state’s contract with Foxconn say the company will build a type of factory that carves display panels out of immense sheets of wafer-thin glass, Foxconn now says it first will erect a plant that uses much smaller sheets of glass.

Such factories typically are much smaller and less-expensive than the sort of plant Foxconn originally planned, industry observers say.

Foxconn scales back plans for its first factory in Mount Pleasant

I'm just shocked. SHOCKED, I say. Who could have possibly foreseen this?

I'm so surprised.

Walker literally, explicitly thinks building a resource-demanding manufacturing plant in one corner of the state is the way to turn Wisconsin into the next silicon valley. He does not get the tech economy of the future, which will require a critical mass of highly educated people not a few guys operating robots on the shop floor. The manufacturing is a result, not a cause or a prerequisite. The tech-educated employees and startups come first. You don't just import the whole thing from Taiwan (China), but that's what he's trying to do.

There are no shortcuts to building a thriving, innovative tech community of the future. Like it or not, Judy Faulkner got it right and Scott Walker does not get it at all.

In addition, this does exactly nothing for the towns and cities upstate, who do not even have reliable broadband. I hope they notice, but they might not due to the limited stream of information they receive.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:Walker literally, explicitly thinks building a resource-demanding manufacturing plant in one corner of the state is the way to turn Wisconsin into the next silicon valley. He does not get the tech economy of the future, which will require a critical mass of highly educated people not a few guys operating robots on the shop floor. The manufacturing is a result, not a cause or a prerequisite. The tech-educated employees and startups come first. You don't just import the whole thing from Taiwan (China), but that's what he's trying to do.

I think you give him too much credit when you say that he's trying to turn Wisconsin into the next Silicon Valley. He's not trying to do anything, long term or short, except please his bosses. He doesn't know anything about economics, logistics, or manufacturing. He's doing what he's told and using the talking points someone else is giving him, which are meant only to delay and obfuscate things while the state is carved up and divided amongst his bosses.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:50 pm

I wonder if it is healthy for such a big company and UW to cooperate? Not that this would be the first...

UW-Madison, Foxconn announce $100 million research partnership
https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt- ... ec552.html
Through the agreement, signed Monday on the UW-Madison campus by Blank and Foxcon CEO Terry Gou, the company and university will partner to create the Foxconn Institute for Research in Science and Technology, or FIRST, which will host research and development initiatives in areas including medical science, materials science, computer science and data-driven science. The institute's primary location will be at the Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park near Racine, with an off-campus location.

The partnership "combines the strengths of two global leaders," Blank said during a ceremony announcing the arrangement.

"We share a deep commitment to pushing the boundaries of knowledge through interdisciplinary research," she said.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm surprised that they didn't announce it closer to election day. Of course Walker will take credit for it anyway, not mentioning that this is our money they're using.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm wondering if Foxconn might dictate what UW researchers can and cannot do? It's like Mr. Koch saying,"I expect something in return."

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:59 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm surprised that they didn't announce it closer to election day. Of course Walker will take credit for it anyway, not mentioning that this is our money they're using.

Why should we leave the University's spending priorities up to the bumbling legislators? Much better to have it dictated by foreign tech companies.

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Or we could leave the University's research priorities to the folks who make research their business. Can you imagine what a group of cutting-edge researchers and educators could have done with $3 billion?

Instead they are supposed to perform their tricks for one thirtieth that amount tied to the end of Foxconn's string, in Foxconn's facility, far removed from any chance of creative synergy or multidisciplinary collaboration or a stray genius idea over beers on the Terrace or anything that Foxconn hasn't fully planned out and doesn't fully control. Which pretty much spells death to any real innovation coming out of this chump change.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Torrent of stormwater spills from Foxconn construction site after heavy weekend rains
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/loc ... 204012002/

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Shorty wrote:Torrent of stormwater spills from Foxconn construction site after heavy weekend rains
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/loc ... 204012002/

Where's a Beaver when you need one?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:04 am

UW propaganda show next week.

"UW-Madison students, alumni and community members are invited to see the technological innovations happening at Foxconn Technology Group, and the ways a new partnership will enhance education and research at the university, during Foxconn Days. The event will run from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 18, and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 19, in Engineering Hall."

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 am

Apple is expecting steep declines in new phone sales and their stock, which peaked at $230/share in August is back below $180/share. Those sales forecasts are having predictable ripple effects for Apple's major suppliers like FoxConn:

Apple iPhone Supplier Foxconn Planning Deep Cost Cuts

I'm not going to sit and blame Republicans or Walker for not foreseeing tech sector woes, but it's worth mentioning that throwing billions of dollars at a company is only a good investment if you are virtually guaranteed a return. Even before the money was promised the FoxConn incentives were not expected to produce any return on investment for over 20 years, which is far too long to wait and creates far too much time for the investment to sour. Any fool could have told the Wisconsin GOP (and they did) that predicting FoxConn's long-term health was virtually impossible. The sudden turn is probably a bit of a blessing as it gives Tony Evers more leverage to revisit the deal. Let's hope Republicans are willing to admit that they may have been a bit too hasty in betting the farm.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 am

pjbogart wrote:Let's hope Republicans are willing to admit that they may have been a bit too hasty in betting the farm.

Two words spring to mind: "slim" and "chance".

Return to “Headlines”