Foxconn sweatshop

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Foxconn sweatshop

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am

I've got the paper copy of today's NY Times in front of me, open to a feature where the twenty cities still in the running for Amazon's new facility describe their specific attractions. Government incentives are mentioned by some but not all.

An educated and/or skilled work force gets named by many of the cities, with special mention for technical education and innovators. Depth of experience gets mentioned several times.

In Wisconsin, the Republicans and Walker cut education funding, and key tech professors move to other universities where they expect better support. Women in tech majors at UW report a hostile environment, essentially cutting in half the talent pool available.

Connectivity and quality of life are both valued in the twenty city list.

Walked cuts rail, highway funding, and natural resource protections. Some places in Wisconsin don't even have broadband yet.

Several cities mention diversity, including Miami.

If that's a Walker priority, he hasn't said so.

Miami is the only city of the twenty that mentions low city and state taxes. That's about the only congruence with Walker's priorities I can find. Low cost of living and housing costs are named in a few places (Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, for two), but those may or may not coincide with low taxes. None of the selected cities is bragging about no environmental protection, loose worker protections and a low pay scale, or few regulatory practices, all of which have been Walker priorities.

If Walker thinks his governmental practices are going to attract and hold more tech businesses in Wisconsin, Amazon is offering evidence to the contrary.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:23 am

snoqueen wrote:I've got the paper copy of today's NY Times in front of me, open to a feature where the twenty cities still in the running for Amazon's new facility describe their specific attractions. Government incentives are mentioned by some but not all.

An educated and/or skilled work force gets named by many of the cities, with special mention for technical education and innovators. Depth of experience gets mentioned several times.

In Wisconsin, the Republicans and Walker cut education funding, and key tech professors move to other universities where they expect better support. Women in tech majors at UW report a hostile environment, essentially cutting in half the talent pool available..

i definitely have had this impression and heard a lot about it . . . the environment -- how much do u suppose is inertia in a field which is 80-90 per cent male and how much is proactive, outright sexism? one of our daughters did notice this and it diminished greatly when she switched to a pharmacology & toxicology major . . . another, a finance major, is researching this issue for a paper in a feminist philosophy course right now, in fact . . .

given that communication style is one of the issues involved, there is a fraction of the male population in the same boat too . . .

diversity is a critical and increasingly important competitive advantage which i do not believe can be replicated any other way. . .

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 pm

gozer wrote:given that communication style is one of the issues involved, there is a fraction of the male population in the same boat too . . .

When I was blue collar, in the 70's and eighties, especially in the machine shops and foundries, I watched quite a few new hires come in as gentle and friendly young men and get bullied and mentally beaten into sullen angry bullies themselves. It wasn't really a conscious or organized thing, they were just surrounded by angry bullies pretending to be happy workers in a man's world. Coming from a dysfunctional family as I did, I was able to mimic that behavior without actually participating in the bullying. Even managed to help a couple of them through it.

Having the support of the other stoners in the shop was a plus, but you had to learn a dysfunctional institutional social behavior and understand when to tell somebody to quit pushing. That was a skill some guys never learned and it hurt 'em.

When I ended up at an IT job on campus where the females had as much power as the males and management thought their job was to have the back for all its staff, I thought it was that way all over campus. It was a few years before I found out that wasn't the case.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Foxconn wants 7 million gallons a day from Lake Michigan, DNR says
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 3BEF2C94B1

"Foxconn wants to pump out an average of 7 million gallons of Lake Michigan water per day for its proposed LCD screen factory in Racine County, the state Department of Natural Resources said Monday. The sprawling manufacturing facility would return most of the water to the lake, but 2.7 million gallons per day would be consumed -- either evaporated or incorporated into a product, the DNR said. The Racine Water Utility withdrew 16.9 million gallons daily in 2016 and it already has capacity to handle the additional supply for Foxconn."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 am

Funding for state roads down as much as $90 million due to Foxconn project
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 3BEF2C94B1

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:26 am

It's as if they've never been told not to put all their eggs in one basket.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm sure the citizens of Brown County, Vilas County, etc are totally cool with potholes for a few more years, knowing that its all for the good of Wisconsin.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:29 am

Foxconn set construction hiring targets
https://www.channel3000.com/news/foxcon ... /725467693

"The construction management team wants 60 percent of the project to be done by Wisconsin companies. The Kenosha News says general contractor Gilbane is calling for 10 percent of the subcontractors to be based in Racine County and 10 percent to be female-, minority- or veteran-owned businesses.

Construction of the $10 billion manufacturing complex is expected to generate 10,000 construction jobs each of the next four years. Foxconn has announced it plans to begin construction later this spring."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:14 pm

DNR approves pulling Lake Michigan water for Foxconn plant
https://www.channel3000.com/news/dnr-ap ... /734538603

"Under the Great Lakes Compact, all water diverted from Lake Michigan must be returned minus what's lost to evaporation or what's incorporated into Foxconn's manufacturing processes. The city's application estimated about 2.7 million gallons daily will be consumed and won't return to the lake."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:36 pm

No surprise there. DNR will do whatever the Governor wants. Sadly, we have Jim Doyle to thank for that.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Will be hard to breath there.

EPA chief Pruitt overrules staff, gives Wisconsin's Walker, Foxconn big break on smog
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

"By dramatically reducing the size of the areas required to crack down on smog, Trump EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt overruled the agency’s career staff, a move that will save Foxconn from having to make expensive improvements as it builds a sprawling new electronics plant in Racine County, just north of the Illinois border in an area with some of the state’s dirtiest air."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon May 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Right on.

Illinois attorney general to sue over Wisconsin's Foxconn
https://www.channel3000.com/news/illino ... /739266075

"Madigan says she will file a lawsuit challenging a recent rule issued by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reducing the number of areas in Wisconsin that need to meet more stringent ozone regulations. Madigan on Friday said she was concerned with the EPA decision last week to make Racine County, where the plant is to be located, subject to stricter air pollution guidelines. Madigan says the EPA is "putting a company's profit ahead of our natural resources and the public's health.""

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon May 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Last night's episode of HBO's "Silicon Valley" made fun of situations like the Foxconn deal. The CEO of Hooli couldn't find a low cost country in which to build the "Box 3" but he found the mayor of a desperate town in North Carolina to build his factory. Because the budget for the fire department had been cut to zero they couldn't stop the plant from burning down and the police weren't there to stop the rest of it from being looted.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon May 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Foxconn selects company with close ties to Walker
https://www.channel3000.com/news/politi ... /741746724

"Hammes is led by Jon Hammes, Walker's campaign finance chairman for his re-election bid. He also served in that role during Walker's 2015 presidential run. Hammes is part owner of the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks and has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republicans and causes over the years."

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Will we still be on the hook for $3B+ if Foxconn predictably scales back their plans?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/23/foxconn- ... ory-plans/

Return to “Headlines”