Foxconn sweatshop

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Foxconn sweatshop

Postby Paleo2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Shorty wrote:I think the long term goal is replace all workers with robots.

Close.

I've done a lot of work automating processes. It isn't just robots. Automatic tolls replace toll booth workers, no robots needed. Word processing software replaces secretaries, TurboTax replaces accountants.

Robots are PART of it. Robots (and ATMS and automated checkouts and automated tolls, etc.) can replace manual labor. Software alone can often replace white collar workers.

It has its good and bad points. Consider the Human Genome Project. There simply weren't enough scientists in the world to do the work. So they invented some lab robots to do the grunt work. Sophisticated software, such as chemical analysis software or data mining software, can take care of much of the work scientists did to analyze the data. I have especially been involved in automating processes in the sciences, so I know it is a combination of robots and sophisticated software. I worked on systems where a scientist or lab tech could push one button, and it would do analysis that used to take months or years. Then, connect that to robots for high throughput work. A scientist could go away for a weekend, and upon returning find that robots plus software had done what used to take quite a few years of work.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 pm

While you're opening up your wallet for FOXCONN, can you throw in another $140 Million?

Also, you really should get the undercoating. It will pay for itself!

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Rs are converting local roads to "highways" so they can fund roads to Foxconn

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/news/st ... ium=social

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Rs are converting local roads to "highways" so they can fund roads to Foxconn

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/news/st ... ium=social

Let me see if I've got this straight. We're paying this company over $3 billion to locate here because it will create thousands of jobs. Meanwhile, Walker proposes to spend over a million to attract millenials to Wisconsin, because we don't have enough qualified people to fill the available jobs.
Maybe it's just me, but this seems, how to phrase it....pretty fucking stupid.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:11 am

gargantua wrote:...because we don't have enough qualified people to fill the available jobs.

It almost seems as if we should be prioritizing education in this state.

Nah, that can't be it.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:55 am

No worries about finding enough employees, its going to be a dark factory. Robotic assembly machines don't need light to work. The few humans working will be those who fix the machines. Most of the jobs created will be temporary construction jobs building the factory.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 am

Dear Racine Country residents,
sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up. The cool hi-tech jobs are not for you, they're for hipster millenials.
But maybe you could get a job in one of the hot new coffeshops that are sure to open up. Do you know how to make avocado toast?
Also, you may need to get a second job as an Uber driver, to pay for your skyrocketing property taxes. Building new highways for Foxconn ain't cheap!

Finally, a word of caution as you head out on summer vacation. The rest of the roads are falling apart.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am

11:07 a.m. CT Jan. 9, 2018
Renters face eviction with minimum notice, then Foxconn, after inquiry, offers more time
Without warning, Foxconn is buying more land outside of the original area described in all the news and info articles. At the direction of Foxconn (confirmed by one of the landlords) all renters in the area were given the minimum legal time of 28 days to evict.

Instead of the 28 days the tenants originally were granted in hand-delivered notices they received Thursday afternoon from two landlords — one of whom said he acted at Foxconn's direction — the company said it will try to let the renters stay for at least 90 days.

The events unfolded as Foxconn prepares to buy additional property just outside the area covered by a development contract the company has signed with the Village of Mount Pleasant and Racine County.

If we didn't know Foxconn's business methods before, we do now. Take everything, fuck anybody in the way, until you get caught and then back off until you've got a better idea how much you can get away with.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 am

Cost: $4,500,000,000 and counting.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 pm

DCB wrote:Cost: $4,500,000,000 and counting.

The Democratic nominee needs to hang this around Walker's neck. It's not popular, and it's on a downward path. There's a reason Walker only talks about it when he has to now.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am

Even when you consider all the other damage Walker has done to the state, including

-- water quality destruction around CAFO sites;

-- destruction of wetlands which both mitigate flooding and clean our water supply;

-- wholesale land destruction for frac sand mines;

-- loss of protection for water quality up north where other mineral mines could be established;

-- defunding of University system where our work force is trained;

-- loss of quality faculty who bring in both research funding and talent that ends up staying and starting high paying, innovative private businesses;

-- failure to maintain highway and road system;

-- failure to maintain various systems for the protection of workers;

-- (add your own -- this is too easy);

...many years in the future I think the greatest damage will be shown to have come from this giant multi-million dollar money toilet called Foxcomm. The jobs created, if any, will be low quality and few. The environmental damage will be considerable. Whatever Foxcomm manufactures will go obsolete and they'll close, having no personal stake in the local economy. History will record the Walker-Foxcomm deal as one of the worst of the 21st century, whose economic damage will be felt for generations. This is not job-creation, which is a slow organic process, but simply a handout to some company from Taiwan.

Any good side will come after we clear and remediate the site (many decades down the road) and get another big open piece of land like the old ammo plant up by Sauk. Everybody reading this will be dead by that time.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re:Walker's list of "accomplishments"

Postby penquin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Am happy to add my own - (with more later..maybe this should be it's own thread)

- zeroed out the state campground budgets, raised their fees, and gave part of a state park to developers to build a golf course.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:37 am

speaking of automation, just what do these corporate types and their running dogs amongst the rest of the population so revved up for replacing people with machines think that everyone is going to do, i e what are people for? it is not going to help the 1 per cent in the long run, because, as a wise person once said, if i do not get mine, i am going to come and take yours . . . and i can just imagine the kind of racket that re-training could be turned into.

i used to wonder if the wobblies were getting ahead of themselves by advocating "16 hour work week and no pay cut" in a popular poster and decal they sell (i figured that 32 hours & no pay cut recalibrated every other year and combined with a lower and easy-to-change retirement age was more realistic) -- but now i see they have a very clear vision of the future, which of course i never really doubted . . . thankfully, the i w w is the wave of the future: join up, join in!

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:49 am

gozer wrote:...in the long run...

And there's your problem. These decisions are based on managing short-term outcomes (mainly quarterly financials), not long-term projections.

Not sure what they'll do when the torches and pitchforks come out, but I'm sure it will involve whining about how unfair their treatment is.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am

I wish I could remember the name of it, but when I was a kid I read a sci-fi short about this. Almost all labor was automated. Only the very wealthy were allowed to work. The poorer you were, the more you were required to consume. The hero came upon the idea of having his household robots use things up and wear them out. He eventually consumed his way up the ladder to the point where he was allowed to work.
Our society is a lot closer to that now than when I read that story.

Return to “Headlines”