Foxconn sweatshop

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Foxconn sweatshop

Postby Shorty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Foxconn CEO compared workers to animals, had zoo director give management tips
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2017 ... 536866001/

"The head of the Taiwanese company that plans to bring thousands of jobs to Wisconsin five years ago compared his workers to animals and had the director of a zoo give his executives management tips."(Foxconn parent company) Hon Hai has a workforce of over one million worldwide and as human beings are also animals, to manage one million animals gives me a headache," Foxconn CEO Terry Gou was quoted saying in 2012 at a company party held at the Taipei Zoo..."I am managing over one million animals every day and it's such a headache. But our zoo chief knows that he can put tigers and lions together, but not tigers and chickens together. So I want to learn from him," Gou said at the company party at the zoo, according to a translation of his comments shown on FTV, a cable news station in Taiwan."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 pm

We are all animals. Humans are animals with the most sophisticated brains on this particular planet, so we get to call the shots around here until a smarter race finds us and decides it's worth taking over.
Gou's one of us. It doesn't really matter if he thinks so or not. In the scheme of things, what we think matters about as much as what termites think. Boss termite is as important to me or you as any other. They're all just termites.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:23 am

But comparing workers to zoo animals means Gou thinks his workers are as dumb as zoo animals and can be treated like zoo animals.

Foxconn package would cost $50M in lost sales taxes
http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... /601399260

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:32 pm

The analysis examined scenarios where the state would reach a break-even point between incentives given and taxes collected from Foxconn employees and jobs indirectly related to the plant. The analysis said the earliest the state would break even would be the 2042-43 fiscal year.

(my emphasis)
State might not break even on Foxconn until 2042

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:01 pm

I think I have figured out Gou's game. Foxconn is a Taiwanese company, but most of his factories are on mainland China. China could confiscate wealth or nationalize industries, as communist regimes are wont to do. China could invade Taiwan and take back its renegade province. This potential deal gives Gou a card to play. "Look, Xi, I've got all these dopes over here ready to take my facilities."

But if he doesn't need his card, guess what happens.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Soglin compares Foxconn deal to $100 million Packer Super Bowl tickets
http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... /605604816

“If Green Bay Packer Super Bowl tickets were available for $100 million dollars each, as bad as you wanted to go, most of us would pass,” Soglin said in a statement released Tuesday. “The Foxconn deal is an overpayment, a rip-off, of that magnitude.”

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Worst deal in state history?
The Foxconn proposal is an unprecedented giveaway of taxpayer dollars
http://isthmus.com/opinion/opinion/foxc ... r-dollars/

"And of course there’s no guarantee that long before this, Foxconn won’t slash the payroll, leave the state or go out of business. Has there ever been a worse deal proposed by a Wisconsin governor? Walker’s wildly liberal giveaway of tax dollars suggests a desperation to wipe away his failed promise to create 250,000 new jobs and the state’s consistent below-average ranking in job creation"

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 am

Senate approves $3 billion for Foxconn
http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... /619683809

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm

NC only offered them $570 million. That offer made more sense.

Foxconn chose Wisconsin over NC's $570M offer
http://www.channel3000.com/news/politic ... /625969198

"North Carolina promised tax breaks, worker training and other incentives worth more than $570 million to attract a Foxconn electronics plant that could employ 8,800 people, but the state lost out to Wisconsin's promise of five times more in incentives."

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Don't you already have a thread about Foxconn?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I only know of one. I think I had another thread about protesting a meeting, but that meeting is over.

WEDC delays vote on Foxconn contract after discovering problem
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... adison.com

"The Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. delayed a vote on a nearly $3 billion incentive package for Taiwanese manufacturer Foxconn until November after an unspecified problem was discovered with the deal board members were set to vote on Tuesday.

Sen. Tim Carpenter, D-Milwaukee, declined to describe the problem but characterized it as a “nuclear bomb” that, had it not been addressed, would have resulted in a contract that “would not have protected taxpayers whatsoever.”

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

The gift that keeps on taking

Postby DCB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 pm

The $3 B handout is just the beginning of the costs.
potentially another $764 million in local assistance and infrastructure spending,

So now we're getting close to $4 B.
Is there anything that taxpayers can do for our new corporate master?
Among those challenges are increased traffic and the problem of getting huge numbers of workers — Foxconn says it will employ as many as 13,000 — to a semi-rural area 8 miles west of downtown Racine and more than 20 miles from downtown Milwaukee.

I'm sure some of you may remember just a few months ago we had an extended debate over highway funding, a debate the pushed the budget past deadline; also, too, the issue was not resolved. But really, I'm sure they'll find some more highway funding someday.

The cherry on the top of this shit sundae is
State highway planners are studying the possibility of including special lanes for driverless vehicles on I-94.

Sure, why not?

Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The gift that keeps on taking

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm

DCB wrote:The cherry on the top of this shit sundae is
State highway planners are studying the possibility of including special lanes for driverless vehicles on I-94.

Sure, why not?

Hey, great! Maybe WEDC can count the jobs making the driverless vehicles as Foxconn jobs and manufacturing jobs! That way Foxconn really will be creating the high tech manufacturing jobs it promised!... in California?

Not to mention the dystopian cornfield factory-community of the future! As promised.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm

I think the long term goal is replace all workers with robots.

Return to “Headlines”