Police involved shootings

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Police involved shootings

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:42 pm

This time the cop car was the weapon used.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:06 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:20 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:30 pm

When people protested the homicide by cop of an unarmed teen in Pittsburgh, this the response from the mayor of a nearby community.

Pittsburgh-area mayor asks police to hose down protesters

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 pm

This time they didn't use a gun.

Pennsylvania State Police say a fleeing suspect was accidentally run over by a bulldozer as officers responded to a scene on state game lands that contained 10 marijuana plants.

Police say Gregory Longenecker, 51, of Reading, Pennsylvania, was found dead under a bulldozer that an officer and a game commission employee were using to search for him in "thick underbrush" on Monday.

All over a mere 10 pot plants.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:00 am

Cop mistakes apartment for her own, kills her neighbor

DALLAS (AP) — Dallas police say an officer returning home after her shift mistook a neighbor’s apartment for her own and shot and killed the man who lived there.

I wonder how she got in.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm

The Dallas officer has been charged with manslaughter and released on bond.
David Armstrong of the Texas Rangers wrote that officer Amber Guyger said she inserted her key into the door, and it opened because it had been slightly ajar. Guyger said the apartment was completely dark and she thought a burglar was inside her home when she noticed a large silhouette across the room, he wrote.

Guyger drew her handgun, gave verbal commands that were ignored and fired her weapon twice, striking 26-year-old Botham Jean once in the torso.

...The case will be presented to a grand jury, which could decide on more serious charges than manslaughter, Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson said Monday. Johnson said her office will first collect all of the evidence surrounding the shooting.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Sounds fishy to me. I have never, drunk, high, or sober, had any difficulty ascertaining which house or apartment was mine.
Bet she gets away with it.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:15 pm

There are signs. A few articles say neighbors heard shouting. A female voice yelling "let me in" and pounding. The doors in that building are self-closing. The victim's apartment had a red doormat, hers does not.

We'll see what the investigation turns up. The guy had a college degree, a good job and a family that might be able to afford lawyers.

And as we have seen in other cases, police departments don't always support their female officers as well as that other gender.

somebody on the internet wrote:The people who say "somebody breaks into my house I shoot first and ask questions later" and the people to think Botham Jean should have obeyed the orders of the strange lady breaking into his apartment are exactly the same people.

I had no idea anyone was saying Botham should have done what the cop told him to do. But if anyone is saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were stand my ground sort of people.

IU2Bmanoletters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby IU2Bmanoletters » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Now, I haven't weighed in on this issue in many many moons, so I think I have the moral responsibility to comment. Here's one which some die hard, "my PD force right or wrong" type will seek to justify, as impossible as that is in this case. Don't worry, I'm properly jaded by now.
Yeah, sure:
"No gun was found on or near Dakota’s body, but the police said they had discovered a gun near an alley where the officers first saw the teenager....
"The officer testified that Dakota turned his head to the right and looked at him, then reached for his left side, the document said. The officer, believing 'that Mr. Bright was still in possession of the gun,' shot him from about 50 feet away, 'resulting in his death.'”

"Chicago Officer Is Cleared in Fatal Shooting of 15-Year-Old in Back of the Head:"
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/us/c ... rnand.html

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:48 pm

So he wasn't even charged with a crime. Huh.
Society needs to change this bias that all that an officer needs to do is assert "fear" of a firearm. There ought to be an actual firearm on the person, or at least the alleged fear must be reasonable. I haven't seen all of the evidence, but shooting someone who did not have a gun in the back of the head from 50 yards away does not seem reasonable to me.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Dallas Police officer who fatally shot innocent black man in his own apartment is indicted
A white former police officer who gunned down her unarmed black neighbour in his own apartment, will face trial for his murder a grand jury in Dallas has decided.

Amber Guyger fatally shot Botham Jean when she mistakenly entered the his apartment instead of her own.

The federal lawsuit against Ms Guyger asserts she used excessive force against Mr Jean. It also claims that her police department did not give her adequate training as an officer.

If found guilty of murder, Ms Guyger could be sentenced to life in prison

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 pm

I don't accept the premise that she "mistakenly" entered his residence. Apparently the grand jury didn't buy it either.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:37 pm

If the man was in his apartment, how did she get in?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Maybe he didn't lock the door.

Return to “Headlines”