Waukesha County D.A. Office is more emotionally disturbed than accused "Slender Man" girls

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
manoletters
Forum Addict

Waukesha County D.A. Office is more emotionally disturbed than accused "Slender Man" girls

Postby manoletters » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Yes, these two GIRLS, at least one of whom has been definitively diagnosed with a serious mental illness, are ADULTS, in the sense of being legitimately susceptible to "adult" punishments. "Adult" punishments being the kind of penalization that is already ludicrously severe and excessive in these United States. They're "grown-ups!" That explains why both these defendants legally purchased alcohol and tobacco previously, before the stabbing. (NOT!) That's why these two defendants have driver's licenses. (NOT!) That's why they were both registered to vote in Waukesha County. (NOT!) That's why the two kids viewed R-rated films, unsupervised, at a theatre way back in the day. (NOT!)
While I AM plenty well aware and informed as to the horrifying nature of this offense.... Get focking real, America!

"Geyser was diagnosed with early onset schizophrenia during court competency evaluations, and she still believes in the existence of the mythological Slender Man and fictional characters such as Harry Potter. She is opposed to taking medication because she believes it would stop her ability to talk with these 'friends,' the Journal Sentinel reported."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... as-adults/
Last edited by manoletters on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Waukesha County D.A. Office is more emotionallly disturbed than accused "Slender Man" girls

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:39 pm

These two young ladies plotted and attempted to carry out a murder of their friend. No "not ", you ideologically blind ninny.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Waukesha County D.A. Office is more emotionallly disturbed than accused "Slender Man" girls

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:36 am

The reasoning was if sentenced as adults, the young women would be eligible for monitoring and treatment for many years, not just until they turned 18. This was deemed better for them and better for the general public, given that schizophrenia is not usually temporary.

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Yes Garg, I know they "plotted," in their literally childish, delusional way. But I certainly wouldn't expect any different take on this case from you, the most-enlightened-yahoo-of the 18h Century. The GIRLS also were intent on to getting up north, to the Nicolet National Forest, in order to hook up with "Slender Man." For a simplistic person like you though, whose attitude about "crime"- that is its causes, effects and appropriate sanctions - is so casually punitive, such an obvious indication of actual mental illness on the part of the ELEVEN year-old GIRLS doesn't factor into the equation. Let's also keep in mind that whatever punishment ends up being meted out to these barely pubescent "defendants," numerous adolescents in the USA were sent to adult prisons (during the 1990s, anyway) after having been tried as adults. I'd like to know whether even you, draconian individual that you are, have any qualms about juveniles having been tossed into adult lock-up.

"Juveniles in Adult
Prisons and Jails
A National Assessment"
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bja/182503.pdf

"Throwing children in prison turns out to be a really bad idea"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk ... -bad-idea/

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Do you not get the fact that these girls will be guaranteed the proper psychiatric help they so desperately need, well into adulthood, by being waived into adult court? This has nothing to do with the school to prison pipeline or anything of the sort. Otherwise, they would go to a juvenile lockup, stop being ordered to take meds at age 18, and be back fantasizing about Slenderdude or worse, sacrificing someone's child at the altar in the name of their illnesses. Now, if you want to rant about how shitty the juvenile AND adult mental health system is in Wisconsin under Gov. Walker, go right ahead. But don't blame the Waukesha Court for trying it's best to get these unfortunately ILL young girls the help they so desperately need. In this day and age, schizophrenics can and do lead fairly productive lives with strong community-based support systems from doctors, social workers and family members. These young girls aren't remotely ready to take that step yet.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Don't you get that their complaint is all about optics and their assumptions about what "adult" means?

I have to laugh at the article though. They blame juvenile detention for why a kid doesn't graduate high school, because it couldn't possibly be that they don't graduate because their efforts are otherwise focused on doing things society has decreed to be anti-social and illegal.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm only punitive in Mano's fevered, bleeding heart imagination. I don't want them punished. I want them treated and I want the rest of society protected from them while that happens.
You should have a doctor check to see why your knee keeps jerking so much.

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Yes, You're all so correct, so right. It would hardly behoove me to disagree with self-appointed experts like you three, whose ostensibly benevolent intentions are plain for all to see. Ostensibly benevolent, that is, at least on the part of ONE of you. However, knowing about the Waukesha County criminal injustice system as much as I do, I seriously doubt the prosecutors' motives are as altruistic as David Cohen maintains. The media frenzy alone has had the whole prosecutorial apparatus fervently seeking retribution, from the moment this attack hit the news. Let's also keep in mind trying the two as adults means they are both facing a possible prison sentence of up to 45 years.

There must be better options for getting these GIRLS the psychiatric help I'm pretty sure we agree is required. If not, there SHOULD be such options. We as a society need to improve the juvenile "justice system" to the point where Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser can get just the kind of help they need, without pretending they are now miraculously somehow a pair of "grown-ups." Then "pragmatists" like you three won't have to bend over backwards trying to rationalize your irrational position. If you were to tell me that such a goal is unrealistic, I'd simply point out again that these are two GIRLS. You all can't have it both ways - if they are indeed juveniles in need of treatment - and all the factors I listed above prove that much, i.e., not able to vote, not able to drink or smoke, not able to view R-rated material unsupervised - then they are by definition NOT ADULTS, and not properly under the jurisdiction of adult courts.

And Gargantua, rather than entertaining the idiot notion that a couple 13 year-olds are "young ladies," you need to just admit you were WRONG. But hey, maybe, just maybe there are grounds for agreement between us all. Since you maintain they ARE adults, for all intents and purposes, who have by virtue of their grievous offense forfeited all legitimate claims they ever had to be considered children, I propose the following. My proposal is at odds with the current reality, to be sure, but every bit as valid an intellectual exercise as some of what you three are asserting: If Anissa and Morgan were two good, well-adjusted, mentally sound 13-year-olds who had kept out of trouble their entire lives, well then.... they should have been given the opportunity to enter basic training, with a view to a future in the Army, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard. Indeed! At the AGE of THIRTEEN, or even ELEVEN!
Last edited by manoletters on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:35 pm

manoletters wrote:Yes, You're all so correct, so right. It would hardly behoove me to disagree with self-appointed experts like you three.

You're disagreeing with officers of the courts. Are you a legal expert? Your asinine argument that the courts should not treat, monitor and if necessary incarcerate them beyond their 18th birthdays because these girls can't do a laundry list of things associated with adulthood is laughable.

It's ridiculous that any person convicted of a violent crime should get a clean slate when they turn 18. There is not some magic that flips a switch in their brains on their birthdays that will from that point forward suppress undesired behavior. They are the same person they were the day after their 18th birthday as they were the day before.

manoletters
Forum Addict

Re: Waukesha County D.A. Office is more emotionally disturbed than accused "Slender Man" girls

Postby manoletters » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:13 pm

Yes I am disagreeing with them, and with you. I most definitely disagree with ALL of you, if you actually believe an eleven or thirteen year-old has the same emotional maturity, ethical frame of reference and overall cognitive capacity as an eighteen year-old. And I do so (for the sake of avoiding additional argument tonight) without even taking into account how limited an 18-year old's psychological development is in comparison to a young adult's in his/her twenties.
Last edited by manoletters on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Waukesha County D.A. Office is more emotionally disturbed than accused "Slender Man" girls

Postby dogmeat » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:22 pm

And what apparently is completely lost on you is that charging them as an adult is not because we're pretending they have the same capacity as an adult. The entire purpose is to not simply release obviously dangerous people into the public without monitoring or treatment once they turn 18.

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Actually, I DO get you. You clearly believe the girls need additional confinement, past the age of 18. But whether or not they remain an obvious danger to the community at that future date remains to be seen. That determination should only be made by actual experts, not by vengeful prosecutors, jaded and/or corrupt judges, or paid consultants of dubious integrity whose services are employed for the very purpose of imposing the harshest penalty possible. Sad, in a way, as I suppose it is to say it, neither should that determination be overly influenced by understandably hostile relatives of the victim. Revenge isn't nearly the same thing as justice. However, you ARE correct in pointing out that this is all my OPINION, and I am not an expert in any field of mental health or penology.
Last edited by manoletters on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Ya, you clearly believe they will be no threat to anyone else once they turn 18 so there's no need to have the legal option to be able to keep treating or incarcerating them.

manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby manoletters » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:57 pm

A fair enough criticism, I suppose, Dogmeat, "touche'." I'll leave you for now with the thought that a period of incarceration of forty-five years seems excessive, even for a crime this horrific, mainly because it was committed by a couple of delusional girls who were twelve years old at the time. Maybe tomorrow I'll see it your way..... but I rather doubt it.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm

They were sentenced to 45 years? Must've missed that.

Return to “Headlines”