Powerball

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11185
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Powerball

Postby gargantua » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:45 pm

willystresident wrote:Maybe they'll buy a new condo on Willy...

They might not have enough money...

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 am

Still no word on who won the $1M here. I want to know who.

Megabucks ticket sold in West Bend wins $3 million jackpot
http://www.channel3000.com/news/megabuc ... t/42226138

Orbiting Narwhal
Forum Addict
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:07 am

Re: Powerball

Postby Orbiting Narwhal » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:48 am

Beaver wrote:I want to know who.

Why? Unless you're the IRS, or you're planning on hitting the winner up for some cash, why does it matter?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:56 am

Human interest story. And hitting the winner up for some cash.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 11185
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Powerball

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:58 am

Orbiting Narwhal wrote:
Beaver wrote:I want to know who.

Why? Unless you're the IRS, or you're planning on hitting the winner up for some cash, why does it matter?

I would take whatever steps I could to conceal that information. Not because of IRS, I'd want any taxes deducted from the jackpot. But I'd prefer not to deal with long-lost relatives, "financial advisors" and other nuisances associated with a windfall like that.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Looks like we will never know who bought the $1M ticket here...because they lost it or aren't aware of it! What a shame. I bet it was someone who could have really used it, like a laid off Oscar Mayer worker.

$1M lottery ticket sold in Madison set to expire
http://www.channel3000.com/news/lottery ... /257870705

"A lottery ticket worth $1 million that was sold in Madison is about to expire, according to a release from the Wisconsin Lottery. Lottery officials are encouraging players to check their tickets again.

The winning ticket is from the Aug. 6, 2016, drawing and will expire on Feb. 2. It was purchased at Aberg Avenue Mobil at 2601 Shopko Drive in Madison. The winner matched five out of five numbers, but not the Powerball. The winning numbers from the Aug. 6 drawing were 20, 33, 36, 47 and 52, with a Powerball of 12. The Power Play number was 3."

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2320
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Powerball

Postby david cohen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Beaver wrote:Looks like we will never know who bought the $1M ticket here...because they lost it or aren't aware of it! What a shame. I bet it was someone who could have really used it, like a laid off Oscar Mayer worker.

$1M lottery ticket sold in Madison set to expire
http://www.channel3000.com/news/lottery ... /257870705

"A lottery ticket worth $1 million that was sold in Madison is about to expire, according to a release from the Wisconsin Lottery. Lottery officials are encouraging players to check their tickets again.

The winning ticket is from the Aug. 6, 2016, drawing and will expire on Feb. 2. It was purchased at Aberg Avenue Mobil at 2601 Shopko Drive in Madison. The winner matched five out of five numbers, but not the Powerball. The winning numbers from the Aug. 6 drawing were 20, 33, 36, 47 and 52, with a Powerball of 12. The Power Play number was 3."


I shop at that Mobil station a couple of times a week and have gotten to know a few of the staff. They are dumbfounded that no one has come forward, and we joke that we'd hoped it was a regular customer but could easily have been someone in a hurry to grab gas, a PB ticket and get home to Chicago/Milwaukee/Lake Mills and when they saw no one won the big prize, never bothered to notice they had matched 5 of 6 numbers. I sure hope a soon-to-be unemployed Oscar Mayer turns up a winner prior to February 2nd!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5881
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby gozer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:57 pm

david cohen wrote:
Beaver wrote:Looks like we will never know who bought the $1M ticket here...because they lost it or aren't aware of it! What a shame. I bet it was someone who could have really used it, like a laid off Oscar Mayer worker.

$1M lottery ticket sold in Madison set to expire
http://www.channel3000.com/news/lottery ... /257870705

"A lottery ticket worth $1 million that was sold in Madison is about to expire, according to a release from the Wisconsin Lottery. Lottery officials are encouraging players to check their tickets again.

The winning ticket is from the Aug. 6, 2016, drawing and will expire on Feb. 2. It was purchased at Aberg Avenue Mobil at 2601 Shopko Drive in Madison. The winner matched five out of five numbers, but not the Powerball. The winning numbers from the Aug. 6 drawing were 20, 33, 36, 47 and 52, with a Powerball of 12. The Power Play number was 3."


I shop at that Mobil station a couple of times a week and have gotten to know a few of the staff. They are dumbfounded that no one has come forward, and we joke that we'd hoped it was a regular customer but could easily have been someone in a hurry to grab gas, a PB ticket and get home to Chicago/Milwaukee/Lake Mills and when they saw no one won the big prize, never bothered to notice they had matched 5 of 6 numbers. I sure hope a soon-to-be unemployed Oscar Mayer turns up a winner prior to February 2nd!


my sentiments exactly . . . oscar mayer's remnants in madison, part of the manufacturing area i i r c , will be here for 100 years some time this autumn i think; they were founded in 1883 in chicago, either as a meat packing company right there by the stockyards or starting out as a firm associated with ice for ice houses or something . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 am

I lost again.

Winning ticket for $435 million Powerball jackpot sold in Indiana
https://gma.yahoo.com/winning-numbers-d ... ories.html

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Powerball jackpot over $400 million, now 10th largest after months without winner
http://wgntv.com/2017/06/09/powerball-j ... ow-to-win/

"After more than two months without a winner, the Powerball jackpot has grown to $435 million. The jackpot for Saturday night’s drawing would tie for the nation’s 10th largest lottery prize...

The chance of winning the jackpot is one in 292.2 million. But seven-time winner Richard Lustig believes that there is no luck to the method. He’s written a book called “Learn How To Increase Your Chances Of Winning The Lottery,” highlighting his take on how people can score big money.

His method’s seemed to have worked for an Iowa couple won over $9 million after using his method and a couple in Florida won over $2 million."

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4613
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Powerball

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Beaver wrote:His method’s seemed to have worked for an Iowa couple won over $9 million after using his method and a couple in Florida won over $2 million."

It pales in comparison to my method.

Image

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:36 am

The one big winner Saturday is from Sun City, California. Meanwhile closer to home:

Lottery computer programmer pleads guilty to rigging jackpots in multiple states
http://www.channel3000.com/news/crime/e ... /537859415

"Schimel said Tipton and a co-defendant, Robert Rhodes, used programming software to modify code to predict the winning numbers of the Dec. 29, 2007, Wisconsin Megabucks lottery. The software is supposed to randomly generate the winning lottery number. Schimel said Tipton supplied the numbers to Rhodes, who bought a ticket with the winning numbers. Rhodes later submitted the winning ticket and Rhodes and Tipton split the proceeds totaling $783,257. "

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 am

Winner #7 last night. He can get together with #10 at their NH mansions.

Top 10 largest US Jackpots
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mega-million ... 07304.html

1. $1.6 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
3. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
4. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
5. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
6. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
7. $570 million, Powerball, Jan. 6, 2018 (one ticket, New Hampshire)
8. $564.1 million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)
9. $536 million, Mega Millions, July 8, 2016 (one ticket, from Indiana)
10. $487 million, Powerball, July 30, 2016 (one ticket, from New Hampshire)

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 am

Why your Mega Millions chances are much worse now
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mega-mil ... 25583.html

"Crunching historical lottery data reveals that buying a lottery ticket when the jackpot is at newsworthy amounts is not a smart move, partly due to an often-overlooked factor: the odds of having to split the jackpot."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 27952
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Powerball

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:56 am

Does that mean you didn't buy a ticket?


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests