Powerball

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Powerball

Postby Beaver » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Lotteries are a tax on the stupid. I only spent $4 last week and $4 tonight. Young woman behind me bought $50. What an idiot.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

I guess that makes her twelve and a half times more stupid than you.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I guess that makes her twelve and a half times more stupid than you.

And only 25 times more stupid than me.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 am

The Washington Post is re-running this story, from 2005:

He won Powerball’s $314 million jackpot. It ruined his life.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... c832339148

Man, what an epic story. Everything the Powerball winner touched turned to garbage. He himself became an utter jerk, he damaged or ruined the lives of friends and relatives and random people who crossed his path, and left at least three people dead, including his daughter and granddaughter. His house burned down, businesses failed, multiple formerly law-abiding people were tempted into trying their hands at robbery. The local strip club was shut down and "30 to 40" people lost their jobs because of trouble he brought.

Over the months, the once-dapper Jack grew slovenly, Misty says: "He would come in a sloppy shirt, all wrinkled. His hat would be dirty. He'd be unshaven." And he became demanding. "At first he was, like: 'I'm Jack Whittaker. I won all this money, yay for me,'" Misty says. "Later it was, like: 'I'm Jack Whittaker. You'll do what I say . . . I have more money than God.' Who talks like that?

"It was like the money was eating away at whatever was good in him," Misty says. "It reminds me, like, 'Lord of the Rings,' how that little guy -- what's his name? Gollum? -- was with his Precious. It just consumes you. You become the money. You are no longer a person."

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:15 am

Did one of you win a million?

$1 million Powerball ticket sold at Madison Pick 'n Save
https://www.channel3000.com/news/-1-mil ... /823591007

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 am

Iowa winner claims huge Powerball jackpot
https://www.yahoo.com/news/iowa-winner- ... 57439.html

"The win was a shock to the single mom, who struggled to persuade her three daughters and other relatives that it was for real. "Nobody believed me," West said Monday after submitting her winning ticket at lottery headquarters in suburban Des Moines. "They thought I was crazy."

West will share the $688 million jackpot drawn Oct. 27 with someone who bought the other winning ticket in New York City but hasn't claimed the prize. West took the cash option, which will pay her an immediate $198.1 million, minus taxes...

West and the buyer of a ticket at a Manhattan deli overcame odds of 292.2 million to one to win the Powerball.

The drawing came only four day after someone won a $1.54 billion Mega Millions jackpot, the second-largest lottery prize ever. That ticket was sold in South Carolina and hasn't been claimed."

Return to “Headlines”