Market Down 415

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Market Down 415

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Shorty wrote:I never heard of OSA's but will look into it thanks.
Start here:
Top High Yield Online Savings Accounts

The Best Online Savings Accounts in 2016

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:57 pm

I wonder if Walmart will cash my T-bills after The Chosen burn Social Security down to smoke and ash. Oh wait, you never actually hold a physical T-bill, just a bank Treasury Fund that they CLAIM is 100% capitalized. Now you can juice this up with all the War Pron you want, and jibberjabber about who is holding the latest piece of torn up hell hole today, or even next week...but there is really, really, really nothing left to say other than the mf'ers have you by the balls in perpetual credit-debt like all the rest of us. The jackboot of 1000 years stomping down on our up-turned faces forever.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:55 am

Polka_Tulk wrote:I wonder if Walmart will cash my T-bills after The Chosen burn Social Security down to smoke and ash. Oh wait, you never actually hold a physical T-bill, just a bank Treasury Fund that they CLAIM is 100% capitalized. Now you can juice this up with all the War Pron you want, and jibberjabber about who is holding the latest piece of torn up hell hole today, or even next week...but there is really, really, really nothing left to say other than the mf'ers have you by the balls in perpetual credit-debt like all the rest of us. The jackboot of 1000 years stomping down on our up-turned faces forever.

Well aren't you Little Miss Sunshine.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:40 am

I didn't think that a nihilist would own treasury notes.

Polka_Tulk
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Polka_Tulk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:19 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I didn't think that a nihilist would own treasury notes.

You can almost here them stifling their laughter. Whatever you do don't stop shopping. I may not get there with you, my Deep State embed cell app has advised me that 'the webcam can't capture my eyes, please run repair app' 3-2-1....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwqPBlSxb-0&app=desktop

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:57 pm

Are Stocks 80% Overvalued? New Evidence Shocks Wall Street
http://thesovereigninvestor.com/exclusi ... m=referral

"Billionaire Carl Icahn, for example, recently threw up a red flag on a national broadcast when he declared, “The public is walking into a trap again as they did in 2007.” Unfortunately, Icahn’s warning is tame compared to his peers.

“U.S. stocks are now about 80% overvalued, says Andrew Smithers, the chairman of Smithers & Co. He backs up his prediction using a ratio which proves that the only time in history stocks were this risky was 1929 and 1999. And we all know what happened next. Stocks fell by 89% and 50%, respectively.

Former congressman Ron Paul didn’t mince words either. He warns that the stock market’s “day of reckoning” is fast-approaching. When that day comes, he doesn’t think it’s just going to be a correction, it will be “stock market chaos.”

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:46 am

The Stock Market Is Having its Worst Second Quarter Since the Great Depression
http://fortune.com/2018/04/02/stock-mar ... epression/

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks, Obama!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:10 pm

DCB wrote:Thanks, Obama!

for screwing around with the market in february-march 2009 when the dow jones industrial average and s & p 500 were closing in on a 61·8 per cent retracement of the recovery since the panic of 1893 instead of allowing it to form a natural bottom and maybe bounce off that fibonacci retracement level on it's own? yes, that and not going for single payer are the only two things i think obama did wrong domestically . . . so if the dow 30 industrials go to 3200 or 1750 u all know what happened . . .

there is still plenty of post-2016 trump-sourced hot air to come out of the over-inflated tyre -- anti-obama folks can can step up and start screeching when the s & p 500 hits 1500 or so?

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:21 am

Full intoxicating list of products China is planning to impose tariffs on...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/04/the-ful ... riffs.html

It wobbles your Chai-knees...

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 am

Stocks are heading for the worst year since before Obama
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stocks-h ... 22577.html

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 am

I made some tough decisions yesterday regarding my 401 K and other investments. I generally can stand a lot of risk and have been able to withstand volatility in the markets. I've had a pretty aggressive investment strategy, but I throttled it way back yesterday. After going through the 2000-2002 and 2008 downturns, I don't want to be caught not paying attention to the warning signs, especially now that I've retired. I don't want to have to go back to work, unless I want to go back to work, which, so far, I haven't.

I suppose my new conservative investing approach may cost me some upside, but I saw the triple bottom and figured, yeah, it may go back up, but it's going to tank sometime, and everyone is expecting a recession in 2020 and the market generally prices recessions in way before they happen, so this is a good time to be conservative.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:57 pm

The government has pretty much run out of stimulus tools. The tax cut was like pouring gas on the fire. The gas has burned up and the tank is empty.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 pm

I can't stop kicking myself over my portfolio. The Spring and Summer were so sensational that I began to worry it was simply too good to be true. I peaked at a 22% gain for the year and swore to myself that I was turning it all into cash if it hit 20%. Specifically, my position in Apple started to concern me at $210/share and peaked at $230/share before crashing and settling back below $180/share. That's a lot of lost profits.

Basically, if I'd liquidated in August and just sat on the cash until the market mellowed out I'd be in a way better position. Live and learn. Does anyone use triggers for their Ameritrade Account to sell if a stock reaches a certain price you think is inflated?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 am

I've been at this since the eighties and, in addition, was raised in an investment family (just like there are mechanic families and real estate families, there are families where talk about investment is the main topic).

I say buy good stuff and hold it. Review everything a few times a year, rebalance if you choose, get rid of your mistakes -- but mostly hold on. Keep a long time horizon, years not months or weeks. Diversify like crazy to spread out the risk. I know it's boring, but low cost mutual funds focused on the broader market (like, not a tech fund for example) do that for you very affordably.

If you like the games aspect of investing, set aside a sum you can afford to lose and go for it. Keep your retirement fund separate and don't mess with it.

For people who want to be aggressive, there's nothing I can say to dissuade you and you know the risks. If you're willing to accept the potential of losing a whole lot as well as gaining a whole lot, I think that's almost a fixed personality trait and people born with it have to work out their own strategies for living with the results.

I'm old now and I'm really glad I did what I did. If you don't care, or if you have kids who hopefully can bail you out twenty or more years from now if things go south, that's a whole different story.

Incidentally, I do have some Apple and watched the same drop everybody else did. I never look at it as a loss. A loss is when it's realized (that is, you sell), not all the fluctuations along the way. That's crazy making. You still have X dollars in Apple, and on any day you can ask yourself, with expenses and tax issues taken into account, it'd be better off staying in Apple or being put somewhere else.

But not better off two days from now. Better off in two, or five, or ten years.

The data show most people who try to time the market do not, over time, outperform the market.

Return to “Headlines”