Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Re: Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?

Postby Weather Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks, HV. FWIW, I see from this poll (pages 47-48) that:

55% of the population supports banning all semi-automatics (vs 33% opposed).
26% of the population supports banning all handguns (vs 63% opposed).

My guess is that the fraction of people who would want to ban rifles typically used for hunting and target shooting would probably be smaller than either of those. But it might still be 10% of the population, or even more (disclaimer: I made up that number out of thin air!). Would that be "a lot" of people? YMMV!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Weather Bob wrote:Thanks, HV. FWIW, I see from this poll (pages 47-48) that:

My guess is that the fraction of people who would want to ban rifles typically used for hunting and target shooting would probably be smaller than either of those. But it might still be 10% of the population, or even more (disclaimer: I made up that number out of thin air!). Would that be "a lot" of people? YMMV!

10% of the population is millions of people, so it's not unfair to call that "a lot". But the other 90% are a lot more, obviously, so it would be difficult for the 10% to move the needle on the issue. Unless it's the richest 10%. Then all bets are off.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:47 pm

I wish the bird would come here instead of shitting elsewhere...

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:31 pm

gargantua wrote:
Weather Bob wrote:Thanks, HV. FWIW, I see from this poll (pages 47-48) that:

10% of the population is millions of people, so it's not unfair to call that "a lot". But the other 90% are a lot more, obviously, so it would be difficult for the 10% to move the needle on the issue. Unless it's the richest 10%. Then all bets are off.

do u suppose it could actually wind up being be the richest 10 per cent when the economy goes sideways and flush day arrives at long last? on the one hand, they would get really nervous, on the other hand, they would get really nervous to the point of being willing to shoot marauders . . . the underlying logic of such things as the great society, new deal, catholic social teaching, and the social market economic model is "if a bunch of people aren't getting theirs they are going to come and take yours"

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:51 pm

I wonder about that gozer. I don't know when it will happen, but when the environmental collapse comes, an awful lot of armed poor people will be coming for the rich. Who will probably have the military they bought to protect them. Cue Polka.....

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:07 am

something i learnt today -- the sawn-off scattergun was invented by none other than brigham young, because of all the shit the latter-day saints caught on the way west . . . he enthusiastically shared his innovation with native americans in the region -- and they reciprocated by demonstrating what happens when one puts a couple of rolls of dimes down the barrel on a flock of birds . . .

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Ho Lee Shit...

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... AHUJdPwjAo

The National Rifle Association spent more than $870,000 campaigning against Democratic Gov.-elect Tony Evers in this fall's elections.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 pm

That's because Evers will violate the US and Wisconsin Constitutions and take all our guns away. Or something like that.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:That's because Evers will violate the US and Wisconsin Constitutions and take all our guns away. Or something like that.

... It's hard to let go of their marionette.

https://dispellingthemythukvsusguns.wordpress.com

Dispelling The Myth

Why The United Kingdom IS NOT More Violent Than The United States

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm

I dig this quote by Adolphus Busch IV, the great-grandson of the founder of Anheuser-Busch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... otest/amp/

". . . I ask that you immediately remove my name from your membership roles and provide me an acknwoledgement of this action.

As most in your organization would admit, I have historically been a staunch defender of the NRA purpose and tradition . . .

It disturbs me greatly to see this rigid new direction of the NRA. As a starting point, one only has to ask why the NRA reversed its original position on background checks. Was it not the NRA position to support background checks when Mr. [Wayne] LaPierre himself stated in 1999 that NRA saw checks as “reasonable”? Furthermore, I fail to see how the NRA can disregard the overwhelming will of its members who see background checks as reasonable. In fact, according to a Johns Hopkins University study, 74% say they support background checks.

I am simply unable to comprehend how assault weapons and large capacity magazines have a role in your vision. The NRA I see today has undermined the values upon which it was established. Your current strategic focus places a priority on the needs of gun and ammunition manufacturers while disregarding the opinions of your 4 million individual members.

One only has to look at the makeup of the 75-member board of directors, dominated by manufacturing interests, to confirm my point. The NRA appears to have evolved into the lobby for gun ammunition manufacturers rather than gun owners."

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 pm

"Conservative Men Are Obsessed With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Science Tells Us Why."

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c38 ... b31c421cc3

Conservatives respond to fear more strongly than liberals do, says one neuroscientist who studies political anxiety.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Conservatives also have been very effective at creating strawmen as a foil. Ocasio-Cortez fills the bill. They'll take her most controversial actions and statements and say "See? All Democrats are just like that! That's why we don't dare put them in charge!" It's standard operating procedure for them.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:36 pm

In Sandy's case, it's way more of the first than the second.

They're doing their level best to turn her into a straw man but that's because she scares them shitless.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Cadfael wrote:In Sandy's case, it's way more of the first than the second.

They're doing their level best to turn her into a straw man but that's because she scares them shitless.

That was the point I evidently didn't make very well. Certainly not as succinctly.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Local 2nd Amendment rally

Close to 300 people gathered in downtown Madison on Saturday morning as part of a Second Amendment rally and counterprotest against it.

United Aganist Facism, comprised of multiple organizations from Madison and Dane County, say they formed as a response to a planned rally by the Wisconsin Patriots Alliance.

While dozens of members of the Patriots Alliance held the planned rally on the steps of the Capitol, hundreds from the countergroup sang, marched and spoke across the street.

Did our resident anti-gun law Foron attend?

Return to “Headlines”