Signs of the Apocalypse

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Signs of the Apocalypse

Postby Beaver » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:45 am

Henry Vilas wrote:All the term UFO means is that an object is unidentifiable. Nothing more.

They say it wasn't an airplane. What would be flying fast near airplanes and not be identifiable? You don't see any cause for concern or mystery there?

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:54 am

@Beaver;

You don't see any cause for concern or mystery there?

What gets past @Henry Vilas' reality filtering Industrial-Strength-Hardened-Weapons-Grade-Thickened Ideological blinders will quickly carom off'n his Reynolds Wrap/Alcoa covered pate.

A "Where ignorance is bliss" kinda thingey.

The Gotch

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:24 am

Yes the atom bombs in Japan were just explosions.
Hank Aaron was just a baseball player.
The Beatles were just a band.

No big deals.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 pm

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am

Henry Vilas wrote:All the term UFO means is that an object is unidentifiable. Nothing more.

A paranoid might think that.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:10 am

A paranoid would think because it is unidentified, it must not be of this world. Or a government conspiracy.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:45 am

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Scientists move Flavor Flav doomsday clock closer to midnight

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Beaver wrote:Ocean ‘Dead Zones’ Have Quadrupled Since 1950
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/earth ... d=46637211

"Our oceans are running out of air. A new report, published this week, says that ocean dead zones—regions starved of oxygen—have increased by millions of square miles and quadrupled in size since 1950. Coastal regions with low levels of oxygen, caused by fertilizer and sewage runoff, have multiplied tenfold. Climate change is a likely culprit, as warmer waters carry less oxygen."

it makes me wonder what the deepest parts of the five lakes around here look like long about july or august . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:09 pm

gozer wrote:
Beaver wrote:Ocean ‘Dead Zones’ Have Quadrupled Since 1950
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/earth ... d=46637211

"Our oceans are running out of air. A new report, published this week, says that ocean dead zones—regions starved of oxygen—have increased by millions of square miles and quadrupled in size since 1950. Coastal regions with low levels of oxygen, caused by fertilizer and sewage runoff, have multiplied tenfold. Climate change is a likely culprit, as warmer waters carry less oxygen."

it makes me wonder what the deepest parts of the five lakes around here look like long about july or august . . .

It was a few years ago that a scuba diver told me you can't see that much. And as you might expect, a very silty/muddy bottom.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 pm

I was talking to someone from the DNR once and he said something that I didn't quite follow about nutrients in the lakes. I think what he was saying is that thanks to the past century's worth of fertilizer application, the sediments at the bottom of the lakes have a huge concentration of phosphorus. During the winter, when the lakes are frozen over and stratified, the phosphorus leaches out of the sediments into the bottom water. Then when the ice goes out and the lake turns over, all that nutrient-rich water is brought to the top and exposed to the sun.

I think he said something about an idea for improving Devil's Lake, by waiting until the end of winter and then lowering a pipe into that pool of stratified bottom water and pumping it all out (?where?) before the lake turns over.

Not sure I got that all right, but I think it's the gist of what he was saying.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:I was talking to someone from the DNR once and he said something that I didn't quite follow about nutrients in the lakes. I think what he was saying is that thanks to the past century's worth of fertilizer application, the sediments at the bottom of the lakes have a huge concentration of phosphorus. During the winter, when the lakes are frozen over and stratified, the phosphorus leaches out of the sediments into the bottom water. Then when the ice goes out and the lake turns over, all that nutrient-rich water is brought to the top and exposed to the sun.

I think he said something about an idea for improving Devil's Lake, by waiting until the end of winter and then lowering a pipe into that pool of stratified bottom water and pumping it all out (?where?) before the lake turns over.

maybe use it as a fertlliser that would be a little less likely to migrate than a powder, prills, slurry, or animal droppings on the surface since it would soak right in? if that could give the location to which it was applied enough phosphorous, then maybe crop rotation would provide enough nitrogen to obviate or strongly reduce the need for fertillisers? presumably that bottom water would have elevated potassium and nitrogen levels as well the source being fertilliser . . .

they are in the process of implementing a pipe-based solution to a much hairier lake turnover problem, that being lake nyos in cameroon, which erupts plumes of co₂ every so often of a sufficient density to suffocate people and animals more or less instantaneously . . . i i r c they have also discovered that lake kivu, one of the african great lakes and much larger, i think ~2500x by volume, has much the same geological setup and loads of carbon dioxide and methane in the bottom water and evidence it has turned over before, so a large earthquake or a meteor strike could result in a horrible mess, it is theorised -- in this case the lake is large enough that the turnover would generate tsunamis as well . . .

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:41 pm

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat May 19, 2018 11:49 am

What could possibly go wrong?

Russia unveils world's first floating nuclear power station

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess