Signs of the Apocalypse

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Signs of the Apocalypse

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 am

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:49 am

Holiday tips and gifts for the survivalist on your list
http://host.madison.com/lifestyles/holi ... b09.html#1

zombie knife $210

the free-standing, hand-operated and high-capacity Katadyn 8016389 Expedition KFT Water Filter System — and it's a beaut from the Swiss company at $1,499.95.

The Seventy2 kit comes highly rated, fully loaded and it's DARN cool at $349.99.

Dome home. Base prices range from $7,500 to $12,500.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Scientists Say Japanese Monkeys Are Having 'Sexual Interactions' With Deer

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... -with-deer

Some of the deer shook the monkeys off and fled the situation. But adult male deer, in particular, were likely to just stand calmly as the female monkeys thrusted. In some cases, the male deer kept eating.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:28 pm

WANT TO SURVIVE THE UPCOMING NUCLEAR APOCALYPSE? MOVE TO KANSAS CITY
http://riotfest.org/2017/11/want-surviv ... nsas-city/

"After all the numbers and data were crunched, they ranked Kansas City as the best place to survive the inevitable nuclear apocalypse, followed by New Haven, CT; Ann Arbor, MI; Hagerstown, MD; Springfield, MA; Manchester, NH; Duluth, MN; San Luis Obispo, CA; Crestview, FL; Lincoln, NE.

“Surviving a disaster will often have more to do with where you are than with any other factor,” says Richard Duarte, author of the book “Surviving Doomsday.” “Finding yourself in a highly populated urban center, competing with violent crowds for dwindling resources, will usually not end well. If the scarcity doesn’t get you, the resulting chaos certainly will.”

“On the other hand, being in a low-density rural location, with more abundant natural resources, and far fewer mouths to feed, will dramatically increase your chances of surviving the crisis,” he says."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Huh. And here I thought Kansas City was a highly populated urban center.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:55 am

Realtor.com came up with the rankings that put KC as #1. Duarte says rural place is best. So there are two opinions here. Or maybe rural areas near KC are best.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm

the $210 zombie knife must be the successor to the famous coup knife of the 1990s, the one with the compass on the end of the handle which is good for slicing cabbage according to reports . . . as for zombie/zombii technology and natural history, it looks like there has been a lot of development since the mid 1980s when the tetrodotoxin-scopolamine-polychaete worm transdermal powder theory came out . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Beaver wrote:Realtor.com came up with the rankings that put KC as #1. Duarte says rural place is best. So there are two opinions here. Or maybe rural areas near KC are best.

Let me say this about that. Watch the movie "The Day After". It was set in Lawrence, Kansas. Spoiler alert: Kansas City and the nearby rural nuclear missile silos were vaporized, and biblical amounts of radioactive fallout fell on Lawrence. So I don't think very highly of those rankings. There will be few if any survivors of an all-out nuclear war, and it's irresponsible to pretend otherwise.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:10 pm

gargantua wrote:
Beaver wrote:Realtor.com came up with the rankings that put KC as #1. Duarte says rural place is best. So there are two opinions here. Or maybe rural areas near KC are best.

Let me say this about that. Watch the movie "The Day After". It was set in Lawrence, Kansas. Spoiler alert: Kansas City and the nearby rural nuclear missile silos were vaporized, and biblical amounts of radioactive fallout fell on Lawrence. So I don't think very highly of those rankings. There will be few if any survivors of an all-out nuclear war, and it's irresponsible to pretend otherwise.

I remember that one. Jason Robards. Disturbing, gritty, and believable.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 pm

gargantua wrote:Watch the movie "The Day After"

Don't watch it alone!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 pm

bdog wrote:
gargantua wrote:Watch the movie "The Day After"

Don't watch it alone!

The British movie, "Threads", was much more graphic. It only aired once, as far as I know. I imagine it would be close to impossible to find sponsors for something like that.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 am

Firehawks
We document Indigenous Ecological Knowledge and non-Indigenous observations of intentional fire-spreading by the fire-foraging raptors Black Kite (Milvus migrans), Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus), and Brown Falcon (Falco berigora) in tropical Australian savannas.

(my emphasis)

They are carrying burning sticks to intentionally set fire.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:59 am

WHAT! That is amazing.

Birds can be so goddamned smart, I love it. We just got a crow feeder — a wire wreath filled with peanuts in the shell. No takers yet, but the guy at WBI said it might take a while. I hope they come around.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Except I don't think the Signs of the Apocalypse thread is appropriate. We're increasingly identifying animal behavior that we used to insist was limited to humans. Especially those behaviors that result in good/easier eatin'.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:08 pm

like the corvids of various species which are seen picking up a walnut in its beak, drop it in a zebra crossing zone on the pavement and wait for an automobile to run over it and therefore get the meat inside . . .

also raccoons are able to uncork and unscrew bottles and jars and the octopus carrying a big piece of jellyfish tentacle around and wacks people with if they threaten it and so on . . .

Return to “Headlines”