Israel's war crimes

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Israel's war crimes

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:12 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:45 am

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:22 pm

It's truly a National psychosis, as a few Israeli scholars have already noted...

http://www.awdnews.com/index/israeli-la ... all-heads/

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm

Israel illegally seized 2,500 acres of Palestinan land in 2017 increasing illegal settlements 3-fold.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180 ... d-in-2017/

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Member of Palestinian parliament held another 6 months on extended detention w/o trial based on "secret file."

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/israel-news ... ssion=true

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Interesting read of Marine Ken O'Keefe's account of his defense of the ship Mavi Marmara in 2010 when Israel attacked and murdered its passengers while they were on their way to provide aid to Gazans.

http://warincontext.org/2010/06/06/all- ... with-guns/

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

<-->

Postby penquin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 am

gargantua wrote:I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I don't think you read my post correctly.

If your vote for President is constantly going to whoever has a "D" behind their name no matter what, even if you hafta hold your nose while doing so, then you do have some blame for Hillary being handed the nomination. The party elite are counting on folks like you to go along with whoever they select to be on the ballot, no matter how flawed their candidate may be.

So lay off this "you put Trump in office" bullshit.

You first.

side note to bdog: One of us must be missing some data points, 'cause my numbers show those chances to be around the mid-80's.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: <-->

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:46 pm

penquin wrote:
gargantua wrote:I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I don't think you read my post correctly.

If your vote for President is constantly going to whoever has a "D" behind their name no matter what, even if you hafta hold your nose while doing so, then you do have some blame for Hillary being handed the nomination. The party elite are counting on folks like you to go along with whoever they select to be on the ballot, no matter how flawed their candidate may be.

So lay off this "you put Trump in office" bullshit.

You first.

side note to bdog: One of us must be missing some data points, 'cause my numbers show those chances to be around the mid-80's.

Um, no.
This isn't really very complicated. I vote for the person with the "D" behind their name because the "R" alternative is WORSE. The other alternatives are to skip voting, or vote for some 3rd party candidate, which for all practical purposes is the same as not voting.
I'd say that I'm surprised that you need to have this explained to you, but based on your body of work on this Forum, I'm sure you'll find something that needs clarifying.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:39 pm

As is almost always the case, Ahed Tamimi's "slap" has pretext... The IDF shot her 15 year old cousin in the head at close range (& later also shot and killed another while he sat on a rock on his land) leaving him with a contorted face forever...

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.pr ... 7E3A22E9C1

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: <--oo-->>>>>

Postby bdog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

gargantua wrote:... or vote for some 3rd party candidate, which for all practical purposes is the same as not voting.

Not in the long run ... you would force your DNC to get better candidates.

But of course you can't see the long run because they'll keep telling you "this election is too important!" .

The days of people falling for that are over.

chances i signed in under wrong id are 20%

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Says the guy who thought Trump was the better candidate.

Do you still think so?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:52 pm

bdog wrote:
gargantua wrote:... or vote for some 3rd party candidate, which for all practical purposes is the same as not voting.

Not in the long run ... you would force your DNC to get better candidates.

But of course you can't see the long run because they'll keep telling you "this election is too important!" .

The days of people falling for that are over.

chances i signed in under wrong id are 20%

I have a couple of friends who vote 3rd party under that theory. They've been at it since Nader helped get Gore defeated. The "long run" must be very long indeed.
There have been 3rd party candidates on both sides (Ross Perot, John Anderson, Nader). None have come close to being successful because our political system is rigged to heavily favor the two parties. My view is to try to make the best of this reality. You seem to feel that it's changeable. Good luck with that. I mean that too, I'll be the first to eat crow if a 3rd party candidate is elected President in my lifetime.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:19 pm

The biggest problem I see with playing this long game is the real, irreversible damage that is inflicted in the meantime. Sure, with enough losses at the ballot box, the Dems may eventually field a more desirable (to you) candidate. But is the guarantee of economic, environmental and other destruction really worth taking that gamble?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:58 pm

gargantua wrote:I'll be the first to eat crow if a 3rd party candidate is elected President in my lifetime.

Get in line, pal!

I used to assert there was no chance I'd live to see a black president and was positively thrilled to be proved wrong. A big difference, though, is Obama was a pretty decent candidate who I did not have to hold my nose to vote for.* I can't think of a single third party candidate who was even remotely qualified for the job. Perhaps if they'd start smaller -- as many of us have been pointing out now for decades -- instead of just going for the top prize, they could build a viable party with experienced politicians who've proven themselves. But as long as third parties mostly only rear their heads during national election cycles, I don't see any path to actually changing the system. I've voted for third party candidates in local elections when given the opportunity and would happily do so more often if only I could. Every time I go to vote, I am annoyed at how many people are running unopposed. Well, there's your opening, Third Parties. Seize it, already.

Finally, after years of this conversation I'm routinely struck by how so many folks will tell those who vote D or R that they're just sheep, as if any more thought goes into just blindly ticking the box for the Greens. I'd argue voting for the best candidate with an actual chance of winning is the best use of your vote but I know that's unconvincing to the "anyone but the status quo" folks. I know they think they're "sending a message" with their vote for a third party, but obviously no one's listening. You'd be equally effective screaming for a change to the system in a hermetically sealed room, imho.

*please note this is not the same thing as saying I agreed with everything he did or believed. Anyone holding out for such a candidate is a fool, plain and simple, unless they plan to vote for themselves.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Trump and Bernie were pretty close to being 3rd party candidates. Neither party wanted them. Republicans ended up having no choice with Trump.

Return to “Headlines”