Clocks change Sat night

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Clocks change Sat night

Postby Beaver » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Daylight Savings Time ends Sat night. Turn back the clocks one hour Sunday morn.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Clocks change Sat night

Postby Cadfael » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 pm

We've got a couple of battery powered wall clocks that will have to be changed. The alarm clocks and all the rest of them change themselves. We like that.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:05 pm

it would save even more money on energy if they split the central time zone in half so that here in the eastern edge of the zone it would be 11.30 when it is 12.00 in new york and so forth . . . or, failing that, some counties around here get together and start their own renegade time zone 15 minutes ahead of that . . .

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 am

Well, technically, it was Sunday morning at 2 am, but that doesn't matter.

My system gets thrown off twice a year when the clocks change. It always takes me several days to adjust, and I'm no longer sure why we have to do this.

Nobody railed against Savings Time like my old man: "It's a conspiracy by some eastern elites who are too lazy to get up at a different time. Thinking you get an extra hour of daylight is like thinking that you can cut a foot off one end of your blanket and sew it on the other end, and now you have a longer blanket."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 pm

MPMay wrote:Well, technically, it was Sunday morning at 2 am, but that doesn't matter.

My system gets thrown off twice a year when the clocks change. It always takes me several days to adjust, and I'm no longer sure why we have to do this.

Nobody railed against Savings Time like my old man: "It's a conspiracy by some eastern elites who are too lazy to get up at a different time. Thinking you get an extra hour of daylight is like thinking that you can cut a foot off one end of your blanket and sew it on the other end, and now you have a longer blanket."

No disrespect to your Dad, but it's not the same thing at all. No one argues that it adds more daylight. It simply moves it to where more people can be awake to use it and enjoy it.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm

including about 50 per cent of those of us who are nocturnal more or less . . .

ever fall asleep late in the afternoon and wake up after dark and not know what day it is? i love that feeling . . . not as much as a big charge of narcotics up the main line, of course, the daily 16.30 dose of morphine sometimes being the cause of the former . . .

i remember there was a movement against daylight savings time because it screwed farmers and lorry drivers

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Don't get me wrong, the time change in each direction requires some effort for me to get used to, as well. I'd be supportive of ditching the current system if we stayed on DST year-round. But I'm sure some people would have a problem with that too.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Back when I was in the Navy, my ship would constantly sail between time zones. Announcements were made saying ship's time is now Zulu plus or minus so many hours. I was much more resilient to those changes back then.

Now, not so much.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Did the clocks get adjusted for every change?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Yes, they were centrally controlled, if I remember right. That was 50 years ago, so certain details fade.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm definitely not used to the change yet -- it might take me a couple weeks -- but what's worse, my dog has no idea what's happened. He expects things to happen when they used to, they don't, and we are both struggling in different ways.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:25 pm

i know that henry vilas probably knows this, but if people wonder how they got zulu as a name for universal co-ordinated time, it is because there are 26 time zones aside from the ones off by 15, 30, 40, or 45 minutes, or solar time, where they set clocks to noon when the sun is overhead, from u t c -12.00 to u t c +14.00 and they each get a letter, well, the whole hour ones.
here in the wisconsin, it is s, depending on your variant of the phonetic alphabet is sierra, sandy, or suck my balls . . .

https://www.theonion.com/fourth-graders ... 1819566194

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:35 pm

I gotta read the Onion more often.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm

gargantua wrote:
MPMay wrote:Well, technically, it was Sunday morning at 2 am, but that doesn't matter.

No disrespect to your Dad, but it's not the same thing at all. No one argues that it adds more daylight. It simply moves it to where more people can be awake to use it and enjoy it.

Oh, Dad knew that. I knew that. Most of the American people know that. It is still funny, at least to somebody who inherited a twisted sense of humor.

And despite the truth, I regularly hear people get excited about DST because they "get an extra hour of daylight."

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:59 pm

If I was in charge, the clocks would be set back an hour each&every weekend. It would be good for the economy and folks who normally work nights would get some daylight hours in their life. Lots of people say they don't have enough hours in the day to do what they wanna do, so this will definitely help out with that.

It would take some getting used to, and farmers would hate it, but overall it would be a good thing for most people.

*said with my tongue planted gently in my cheek*

Return to “Headlines”