mass transit update

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

mass transit update

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: mass transit update

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm

For some reason, this reminds me of those old buses, I just barely remember. I think they ran on electricity and had this extension on top which connected to a wire above. This would have to date back to the 50's..

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Bwis53 wrote:For some reason, this reminds me of those old buses, I just barely remember. I think they ran on electricity and had this extension on top which connected to a wire above. This would have to date back to the 50's..

Those were electric trolley cars. There's a museum of old ones in East Troy if you ever get curious and want to look. The museum features a track that runs seven miles and back (and you can stop for pie on the return trip). It's a nice summer day-trip.

I remember the trolleys running in Milwaukee in the 50s when I was a child. Somehow the automobile traffic and the trolley traffic shared the same streets and it mostly worked OK. You could never do that now -- people are in too much of a hurry.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:38 pm

snoqueen wrote:I remember the trolleys running in Milwaukee in the 50s when I was a child. Somehow the automobile traffic and the trolley traffic shared the same streets and it mostly worked OK.

I too remember Milwaukee's trackless trolleys. If one to got too far from the overhead line, it came to a full stop. The driver then got out with the long wooden pole in an attempt to reconnect the power line to the trolley.

In some areas around Milwaukee, the tracks from even older trolleys were still on the streets.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Also their last streetcar ran on March 2, 1958. It ran over the Menomonee Valley and I remember seeing it from the old Milwaukee County Stadium.

Return to “Town Vibe”