Freezing

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Freezing

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:18 pm

Beaver wrote:You have been inside 10 days? Why? I've been out every day except Weds and Thurs.

I even got out on Wednesday and Thursday, but it was only a very short time...the time between going to and from the car to the Princeton Club one day, Metcalfe's the other. I'd go stir crazy in two days....ten is inconceivable to me.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:40 am

A plus and a minus from the recent extreme cold.

Wisconsin's extreme cold can kill emerald ash borer

U.S. Forest Service research biologist Rob Venette co-authored a study that found temperatures around 20 degrees below zero can reduce emerald ash borer populations by half. Venette tells Wisconsin Public Radio that this week's extreme cold will likely kill up to 80 percent of the invasive Asian beetles in Wisconsin.

The negative result of the cold is that many birds did not survive. I've heard reports that up to 30% were killed off.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:48 am

the invasive beetles and stink bugs made an appearance inside when the cold was cranking up -- six of us got out our bug-a-salt salt guns with the sea salt-table salt-diatomaceous earth-sodium bicarbonate-boric acid-dried chrysanthemum mixture and terminated with extreme unction . . . add very fine iron filings to dispatch centipedes . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:53 am

33℉ 11.00 c s t on 02.ii.2019
w00p there it is

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:48 pm

it appears that there was a good chance that the local and regional groundhogs, marmots, other rodents, hedgehogs &c did not see their shadows this morning, given the overcast and 350 metre visibility in fog . . . warm fog at that . . . further afield, punxsutawney phil too, according to reports . . . wasn't there a groundhogs' day at some point in the past where it was very dark at 14.30 in the afternoon and 68℉/20℃ in sun prairie, yielding the same results, not surprising given the p d s tornado watch and subsequent wind and hail the size of donkey balls? good times . . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:52 pm

What did it mean for the weather when Jimmy bit Sun Prairie's mayor in the face?

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:32 pm

Mid January I was surprised to see a ground hog scamper across a goat pasture.
Today I took a walk with my snowshoes late in the morning. Too late, too warm - the snow was already melting very fast. I would hate to be downhill due to flooding.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:53 pm

gargantua wrote:What did it mean for the weather when Jimmy bit Sun Prairie's mayor in the face?

big things in the offing -- 45℉/7℃ with dense fog (100 per cent relative humidity) has as much energy in it as dry air at ~61℉/16℃ -- lots of melting really quick . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Flooding, burst pipes damage 28 UW-Madison buildings since Friday
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/educ ... 3BEF2C94B1

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:44 am

The vortex prompted me to book a trip to Disneyworld!

Hooray! Only a sat through wed thing...

But good enough for me!

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 am

snow, rain, sleet, freezing rain, granular snow, graupel, freezing spray, freezing drizzle, crunchy rain, ice pellets, snow pellets, fog, rime, hoarfrost, hail, black ice, slush, glaze, c-jam, i mean ice-jam flooding . . . what a mess . . . how i miss -30℃ and/or ℉

crunchy rain
crunchy rain
crunchy rain
crunchy rain
how i'd rather see u in diamond dust than crunchy rain
u looked so great in that russian fur hat, ear muffs, and 16 layers
a raincoat just doesn't do it for me like that
and on top of that is my concern
that i will go flying and land with a splat
crunchy rain
crunchy rain
crunchy rain
crunchy rain
how i'd rather see u in diamond dust than crunchy rain

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:05 am

Getting wintry again.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:54 am

did i hear right that monona grove schools wound up with two solid weeks (10 school days) out, like a wednesday to friday, then a whole week, then monday and tuesday of the third week or something like that back at the beginning of the month/late january with the bad wind chill days being connected to the snowstorms and so on with the help of another day when the school buses froze in the bus barn or something similar?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am

I don't know if the total number of days is right, but I can confirm that at least one of the days was the result of it being so cold that the school buses couldn't run.

frankiewhalen

Postby frankiewhalen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

I thought I could deal with the snow better than with the ice, and that was mostly true. My car got stuck in the snow three times on Tuesday. The first time I got myself out, the second time some lovely people with a shovel helped me, and the last time I just left my car at the end of the driveway and let my brother dig me out.
Another brother checked for snow tires, and could not find any for my car! I don't want to get a different vehicle, so I guess I will continue to get stuck in the snow once in a while....

Return to “Town Vibe”