Freezing

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Freezing

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 am

Cad, you may be remembering the winter of 78-79. I remember in January the air temperature dropped to -28 on two consecutive nights. I had to bring my little Honda Civic's battery into my apartment at night, and then have to reinstall it very quickly in order to get the damn car started. And at work I had to spend my lunch starting and running it so it would start after work.
I don't remember that anyone even considered closing then. Possibly the schools, but that was it.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 pm

I wasn't driving truck then. I was in Eau Claire by that time and every damn winter was fucking cold.

I have a vivid memory of bouncing along in that stake truck with the heater cranked and everything in the cab pinging and popping and my feet freezing except for the toes which were pointed straight at that struggling fan, and some guy on the radio talking about how many days below zero we had. It was double digits of days but it might not have been twenty. The radio speaker wasn't all that good either. :-) I had that job from spring 74 to summer 77.

I smoked back then but it was too cold to take off my gloves and fumble with the lighter.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm

I just hope Ned is ok up there in Minn. It's starting to look bad here:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... AR6BAgAEAE

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Someone rented hotel rooms for Chicago's homeless during freeze
Fire forced them out of their tents
https://www.channel3000.com/news/nation ... /996879446

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 pm

the instruments here at the house on the south-west side measured a night time minimum of -36℃ or about -33℉ and the airport apparently didn't get below -25℉ . . . that after missing the record for lowest day time maximum by 5℉ . . . what a disappointment -- as it said before, if u are going to bring it don't bring it weak . . . criminy

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:25 pm

gargantua wrote:Cad, you may be remembering the winter of 78-79. I remember in January the air temperature dropped to -28 on two consecutive nights. I had to bring my little Honda Civic's battery into my apartment at night, and then have to reinstall it very quickly in order to get the damn car started. And at work I had to spend my lunch starting and running it so it would start after work.
I don't remember that anyone even considered closing then. Possibly the schools, but that was it.

I remember that one. I'd just bought my house a year earlier. The house had a very small yard, and so much snow fell I had no place to pile it after a while. I was reaching up and dumping it on these tall pointed heaps and it'd just roll down again.

Another extra-cold winter happened in the 80s, when I had a Datsun station wagon (Datsun is Nissan now). The car would only start in the morning if I went out right before bedtime, started it, and let it run until it warmed up. Then I had to do the same thing in the middle of the night (say 2-3 am). Somehow, this kept things loose enough so when morning came, it would start OK and I could get to work. I did this every night the temps went to single digits. At the time I didn't regard it as a big deal.

I don't remember anybody closing a business in those days, but I do remember snow plowing being much less adequate than it is now. People got stuck all the time, and when you did, perfect strangers would stop and give you a push. I remember giving other people a push. I am not big, but I seemed to know exactly where to push or lift a little -- there's a skill to it especially with rear-wheel drive cars. (Hint -- open a front door and push against the windshield pillar if you're trying to move the car forward.) I haven't seen this happen much in recent years and I'm thankful plowing is, if not perfect, better than in the past.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Cops are using ton ton's now.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:44 pm

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 am

ton ton macoute?
told u people

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:30 am

it all has to go somewhere, right? I am seeing sub-zero fahrenheit nightly minima and a high of 11℉ next thursday on the channel 3 site . . .

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:41 am

Oh boy am I happy to be out of my house. I am going to hike picnic point tomorrow and sunday, rain or shine!

40 Degrees! Oh yeah!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:16 pm

I was just out. It was 14 degrees. No exaggeration, I actually felt warm in the sun.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:39 pm

My sheers finally stopped being frozen to the windows. I finally got out, after 10 days, and got the last Edy's Peppermint icecream in the store. It's tulip time in the floral dept. I expected to see shortages at my little PickNSave, but they were well stocked. Everybody (!) even had their sidewalks shoveled!

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:19 pm

You have been inside 10 days? Why? I've been out every day except Weds and Thurs.

Return to “Town Vibe”