Freezing

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Freezing

Postby gozer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:01 pm

very interesting . . . numbers on the list would have helped, but anyways, about midway down the list:
Delgado now works at The Weather Channel. In 2016, Jennifer Delgado made headlines for false and insensitive statements claiming that Haitian children were eating deforested trees

setting aside the question about what exactly is a deforested tree for the moment, t w c has a presenter by the name of maria la rosa and another, jennifer lopez*, both of whom would place higher on the list according to the consensus here, and neither joined pat robertson in the anti-haitian propaganda . . . i've seen the former in person -- she's tall too, and very pleasant . . .

---
* that's right, jennifer lopez doing the weather, i swear, and i haven't been dropping acid or anything . . .

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 pm

https://www.channel3000.com/weather/for ... /155345399

is an update of the wind chill forecast for wednesday at 06.00 . . . now -60℉ for madison and a bunch of other places; -61℉ in mineral point . . . circa or about -52 ℃

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:43 am

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:42 am

UW-Madison students petition chancellor to cancel classes due to extreme cold
https://www.channel3000.com/news/uw-mad ... /994385620

https://www.facebook.com/taa.madison/?_ ... Y0&fref=nf
"For UW Graduate Workers: It will be dangerously cold out there with WIND CHILL (also called 'FEELS LIKE' temperature). On Tuesday, any exposed skin could develop frostbite within 30 minutes. Starting Tuesday evening and into Wednesday, any exposed skin could develop frostbite within 5-10 minutes. That's a short walk up Bascom Hill, or a wait at bus stop.

If you feel endangered, please stay indoors. Under our 2009 contract, Article 8 Section 8, it says you have the right to refuse dangerous work and should contact your supervisor. If your supervisor does not respond favorably, and if there is disciplinary action, it can be taken up through the grievance process.

While our contract is no longer legally enforceable under Act 10, the university has committed to upholding it until GAPP language is finalized. Please contact the TAA (taa@taa-madison.org) if you have any questions or concerns. Our Contract Enforcement Committee (cec@taa-madison.org) is available to help in the event of intimidation".

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:06 am

In response to the extreme cold, UW-Madison is canceling classes, events and campus activities beginning at 5 p.m. Tuesday through noon Thursday. During this period, only essential campus services will be operating.
Last updated at: January 29, 2019, 10:29 am

https://alerts.wisc.edu/

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 am

this kind of thing is where the rubber meets the road so to speak when it comes to act 10 -- can walker or blobfish or robin vos idiot savant or any of the others on this day all these years later tell people in 100 words or fewer just what good all of that sound and fury accomplished for citizens or was it just wanton destruction which began as vengeance for supporting his opponent then some kind of sexual thrill arose from the destruction, like with a pyromaniac, and they couldn't hit the off switch and it didn't stop till all the trees were burnt down so to speak? add it to everything else the legislature did and it just seems like vandalism to me . . .

closing the uw-madison for a day or more is quite the accomplishment; did that even happen during the blizzard in 2011? for that matter when was the last time the madison public schools closed for three days in a row and perhaps four?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:05 pm

i went to youtube.com and in amongst all the cat and raccoon compilations, people driving bicycles up a ramp and over their house and the pro-pinochet rock videos I found this:

Throwing water into the air at -52 below zero in fairbanks Alaska

it's a full life & a merry one . . . i think i will try it with a whole saucepan tomorrow morning . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:58 pm

E and W Town malls are closing until Thurs noon. Why? Is it too cold for clerks to drive there?

Hilldale and Greenway station are still open. Isn't it too cold for people to shop outdoor malls? Shouldn't those places close instead?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 pm

the car parks at east and west towne may be large enough to require a walk long enough to freeze one's tip of the nose in a -35 to -70℉/-38 to -57℃ wind chill factor . . . and try driving there with the screen temperature in the morning headed for -35℉ and see what it does to the liquids in the automobile and they get stuck and die . . . that's what i figure they were thinking . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 pm

oh ok. I went there today with no trouble, but will be worse Weds.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:29 pm

gozer wrote:Throwing water into the air at -52 below zero in fairbanks Alaska

...in a t shirt.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 pm

gozer wrote:the car parks at east and west towne may be large enough to require a walk long enough to freeze one's tip of the nose in a -35 to -70℉/-38 to -57℃ wind chill factor . . . and try driving there with the screen temperature in the morning headed for -35℉ and see what it does to the liquids in the automobile and they get stuck and die . . . that's what i figure they were thinking . . .

But Hilldale and Greenway station are open, and I think all the food stores are, too. They may have long car parks. If they can, why not E and W Town?

Amid bitter cold, agencies look to shelter -- or at least monitor -- Madison homeless
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/amid ... 3BEF2C94B1

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 pm

Well Beav, the outdoor lots aren't nearly as large, and they have parking garages, which afford protection from wind and snow. And, the mall is fully occupied. West Towne lost two of its three anchor tenants.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 pm

By "the mall" do you mean Hilldale? I didn't know that was "the" mall in town. Yes garages there help but I went to W Town today and was able to park close to an entrance. Greenway has big lots and no garages. So do most food stores...pic n save, woodman's, metcalfe's at W Town.

Help postal workers!
Put your mail on hold to help mail carriers have a faster route in these sub-zero temps. On the USPS site, choose to have mail held. It takes 2 minutes to set it to be delivered on Fri or Sat instead!

https://m.usps.com/m/Home

Return to “Town Vibe”