Daniels Cafe?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Daniels Cafe?

Postby Galoot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Nearly 20 years ago I bought a wonderful wooden machinists toolbox at an East Side estate sale, full of tools for $50. It had belonged to Othel "Odie" Dean, who had been a machinist for Gisholt for many years.

In that toolbox was a tiny little 1945 pinup calendar from Daniels Cafe. No address listed, just "a good place to eat".

Anybody recall where Daniels Cafe was?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Daniels Cafe?

Postby fennel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Try checking in with a reference librarian at Wisconsin Historical. They have discovery magic.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:13 pm

I'll be right over! Oops. I live in California now, have for more than 5 years. I wish I could go ask them, I love local historical societies. I'm working on a book about Gilroy from 1760 to about 1830, and the local historical society has been invaluable.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:00 pm

The Gisholt workers usually went to a little collection of bars and restaurants right across the street from the plant at the corner of Baldwin and E. Wash and along those blocks. I wonder if it was in one of those buildings, most of which have been replaced by now. I can't think of an online resource you could use to check this out. The central public library here has old phone books and city directories but I don't believe they have been digitized so you can view them from where you are.

My own memory of Madison starts in detail around the late sixties, and I don't remember any of the restaurants by Gisholt having that name, but that doesn't mean anything about 1945.

The Wisconsin State Historical Society has a great online collection of old WI photos organized by a number of keywords. If you got lucky, a Madison street photo from 1944 or 45 might show Daniels Cafe in the background and you could figure out from that where it once stood.

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/

That's their home page. Part way down, in the middle, is a link to their photos collection. I gave the link to the main page because you might notice some other collection of interest in this research, something else I wouldn't have thought of. You probably know more about this kind of search than I do and maybe you already did all this.

Or just try using the search field right at the top of the main page, which accesses more than just the photo collection. I didn't get anything useful when I tried "Daniels Cafe" just now, but that doesn't mean some other term won't help. Maybe it'll show up on some old map, for instance.

Are we sure the cafe was even in Madison? Maybe it was in the guy's home town somewhere else, up north where he liked to go hunting, or another place he liked to visit.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:22 am

Ah, I knew Sno would have lots of help to share! Thanks! And no, I'm not sure at all that it was in Madison.

Around that time I was going to an old barber on the west side, and he knew the old machinist. I thought that was cool.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Not sure if you're on the Facespaceplace, but there is a great FB group called Historic Madison Wi Photo Group that is a wealth of info and people with even more info - they may be of some help. Say what you will about FB, the groups are the only good thing they've got going anymore....

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Galoot wrote:Around that time I was going to an old barber on the west side, and he knew the old machinist. I thought that was cool.

In the mid 20th century, Madison was a lot more like a small town than it is now. Thirty years ago and more, I used to work with a man whose father had been another Gisholt machinist. They made a good living. Your guy and my co worker's father probably knew each other. It's fun to piece together these people's daily lives and get a feel for this era 70-some years ago before it all disappears in the mist of time. History is more than just dates and the names of the famous.

I too recommend the FB history page, even as I cordially dislike FB in general.

Return to “Town Vibe”