Stink bugs

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Stink bugs

Postby Shorty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:20 pm

I have seen these in my home. You probably have them too.

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Strengthens Foothold Across Wisconsin
Structure-Invading Insect Spread In 2018, Poised To Grow In Numbers
https://www.wiscontext.org/brown-marmor ... G-xyuMtOTE

"Over time, the brown marmorated stink bug is likely to emerge as one of the top structure-invading pests in the state alongside the likes of boxelder bugs and multicolored Asian lady beetles. In the eastern United States, where this stink bug has been established for over a decade in spots, problems can be significant. In fact, these malodorous insects have been documented invading homes by the tens of thousands.

While widespread crop damage has not yet been observed in Wisconsin as a result of this insect, it may only be a matter of time as its population continues to build. Agricultural problems have also been significant in the eastern U.S., giving a glimpse into what could potentially happen in Wisconsin in coming years. For example, the brown marmorated stink bug caused $37 million dollars in losses to apples in the mid-Atlantic states in 2010 alone.

Having been detected in Portage County in 2017, the brown marmorated stink bug may soon start to pose a threat to vegetable production in central Wisconsin. Similarly, specimens confirmed from Door County in 2017 are forcing fruit growers in that part of the state to keep a close watch on their orchards and vineyards. With the detection of the species in several western Wisconsin counties in 2018, it's likely that its population will slowly build in that part of the state over the next few years as well."

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Stink bugs

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 pm

Well, that explains why you're lacking a lady in your life...

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Ha ha. I think it's more than that.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:55 pm

I see one every couple of days. Easy to catch and toss outside. Since it's gotten colder I notice that they make more of an effort to hold on to my hand when I throw them out.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Shorty wrote:Ha ha. I think it's more than that.
It can't be just because you're short...

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 pm

they made an appearance at one of our daughter's house and a rental property on the east side this past fall and a decent countermeasure was the table salt scattergun with a mixture of 60 per cent morton's salt, 25 per cent diatomaceous earth, 12 per cent boric acid, and 3 per cent finely ground dried chrysanthemum or another pyrethrin-bearing powder. this also gets the box elder bugs, flies, and ladybug-type beetles very nicely . . .
. . . we even experimented with modifying the salt gun to also draw from a compressed air cannister such as those used to clean keyboards to increase the muzzle velocity and the quantity of powder sprayed with each shot -- lengthening the barrel in this case increased the effective range from 1 metre to perhaps 2½ . . .

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Last year we had dozens of them invade the house in the fall. Not so much this year; I'm guessing we had maybe a handful. Pretty harmless so long as you do not crush them.

Now, if you get this kind of invasion, then you have a problem:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... -your-home

Return to “Town Vibe”