Hey, Foo!!! Shovel Your Walks!!!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Hey, Foo!!! Shovel Your Walks!!!

Postby Donald » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm puttin' my bullet in my six shooter, and struttin' like Barney Fife ready to haul you in. You can lock yourself up with Otis there.

By city ordinance sidewalks were to be cleared of the latest snow and any ice by noon Friday (November 30). I think I see a lot of lawbreakers out there.

I jest, but it's not funny. Kids, old folks, dog walkers, UW students, people who ride the bus use sidewalks. Keeping them free of snow and ice is not just the law. It's neighborly.

Here's the information from the City:

"Sidewalk Clearing Updates

by George Hank, Building Inspection & Code Enforcement, Director
posted November 29, 2018 5:37 AM
The snow that started to fall on the evening hours of Wednesday, November 28, 2018 continued into Thursday, November 29, 2018. All snow and ice that accumulated from this snow event shall be removed from the public sidewalks by 12:00 noon on Friday, November 30, 2018. Ice that cannot be removed shall be treated with sand and/or salt to provide traction. Free sand can be found at the locations contained in the following link: http://www.cityofmadison.com/sand

Snow Removal Regulations

Public Sidewalks

To make public sidewalks safe for pedestrians, the owner or occupant of property immediately adjacent to a public sidewalk is responsible for the removal of any snow or ice that accumulates on the sidewalk. Residents are required to clear snow from their sidewalk by noon of the day after the snow stopped. And remember, snow plows might create a blockage even after your drive has been cleaned.

In the event that removal of ice is impossible, the property owner or occupant is required to use sand, salt or other suitable substance to prevent the ice from being dangerous. This should be done by noon of the day after the snow/ice stopped.

How much of my sidewalk do I have to clear?

The Ordinance requires the property owner to clear the entire width of the sidewalk, from edge to edge.

What the ordinance says: M.G.O. 10.28
You are as responsible for clearing ice on your sidewalk as clearing snow.

Ice can be more dangerous and intimidating than snow.

The sooner and more completely you shovel, the less likely ice will form
Make arrangements for someone to take over while you are on vacation.

If the sidewalk has not been cleared by the required time, the property owner will be issued a citation with a fine.
Crews will remove the snow and ice from the sidewalk. Property owners will be billed for this service, and unpaid bills will be added to the owner's property tax."

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hey, Foo!!! Shovel Your Walks!!!

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:46 pm

I've found the City of Madison's Report a Problem to be very effective.
https://www.cityofmadison.com/reportaproblem/index.cfm
In this case the snow and ice removal button, is the one to use.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:57 pm

I've used that site to report chronic non-shovelers in the past. After a ticket, they comply.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks for that link. I'll use it this winter, if necessary.

Return to “Town Vibe”