It's Winter Awareness Week in Wisconsin

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

It's Winter Awareness Week in Wisconsin

Postby Beaver » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 pm

What happened to Fall? Forecast is several days of low 30's starting Friday with light snow. And now I see that It's Winter Awareness Week in Wisconsin. Were you aware that WI can have cold Winters? If not see below. I hope we don't get as cold as Butternut .

"Wisconsin winters can be hard to deal with at home and on the road. To encourage people to plan ahead for the snow and cold, Nov. 5-9, 2018 has been declared “Winter Awareness Week” in Wisconsin. It’s important to begin planning for winter before there’s even snow on the ground. Those preparations should include making sure you have a stocked emergency supply kit in your home and vehicle, which could save your life or the life of a neighbor during a winter storm.

Emergency kits should include items such as food, water, flashlights, batteries, and blankets. In your vehicle, also be sure to include a snow shovel, extra gloves and hats, and kitty litter or sand to help give your wheels traction on icy roads in case you get stuck. Find out more about building a kit at http://readywisconsin.wi.gov/kit/GetKit.asp?maintab=0

According to the National Weather Service, Wisconsin experiences an average of 3-6 winter storms during a season. Last winter, Saxon in Iron County received 176 inches of snow. The Stockbridge-Munsee Reservation in Shawano County had the highest 24-hour total with 23.8 inches on April 16. The coldest spot was Butternut in Ashland County, with -38 degrees Fahrenheit on Jan. 2.

Winter driving can be extremely hazardous. According to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, approximately 41 people are killed and almost 3,400 injured in crashes on icy or snow-covered roads in the state. Before you travel, check with 511 Wisconsin for the latest traffic and road conditions. This information, along with live traffic cameras and traffic alerts, can be accessed on the 511 Wisconsin system, which includes a free mobile app, @511WI on Twitter, or the mobile-friendly site www.511wi.gov.

To help you and your family get ready for winter weather, visit ReadyWisconsin.wi.gov, where you can find winter weather maps, tips on winter driving, and other helpful advice."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: It's Winter Awareness Week in Wisconsin

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:06 pm

4-Wheel drive and good tires also helps, along with a mobile phone (which Ms Vilas has, but I eschew)) and a credit card too.

I hear a candle in a large metal can - make sure you have a Bic or matches - can keep you warm in a stranded car.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm

i'm aware of winter more or less from the third week of september to some time in may . . . sometimes even into june . . .

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Shut up about winter. I already miss the sun. But maybe a little snow is better than the fucking rain!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Madsci wrote:Shut up about winter. I already miss the sun. But maybe a little snow is better than the fucking rain!

I have to disagree with you here. I don't have to shovel, roof rake, and slide around in rain. And it's just too early for any significant amount of snow. There are still a lot of leaves coming down in my neighborhood for crying out loud!

Return to “Town Vibe”