Ex-DeForest police chief who made racist video hired by town of Madison Police Department

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Ex-DeForest police chief who made racist video hired by town of Madison Police Department

Postby Cadfael » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:08 am

The former DeForest police chief who resigned in August after he was heard making racist comments in a YouTube video has been hired by the town of Madison Police Department as a part-time patrol officer.

Town of Madison Police Chief Scott Gregory approved the hiring even though he was among Daniel Furseth’s most vocal critics after the video made 11 years ago surfaced earlier this year.

“Did he make a mistake 11 years ago? Absolutely,” Gregory said. “Should he pay for that mistake the rest of his life? I don’t think so.”

So. How long should he pay for that mistake? Has it been long enough? Has he paid enough? He lost his job, but then, you know, not before
...accepting a severance package from the village for $102,000. The cost of the severance package was less than what the village would have spent to fire Furseth, village president Judd Blau said at the time.

And now we'll see.
Gregory said he was not concerned Furseth’s hiring would create any lack of trust with town of Madison residents. Instead of reacting to the video, “I think the community will react to how he treats them,” Gregory said.

Has he paid enough? Has he shown he should still be policing the streets? Which streets should he be patroling?

In my own humble opinion, he shouldn't be in law enforcement. He should switch careers. THEN he can stop paying for his mistake.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ex-DeForest police chief who made racist video hired by town of Madison Police Department

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Honestly? I don't know. It depends on a number of factors, like the exact nature of his duties, and how closely he's supervised. He may well be reformed and penitent. But there's the problem of trust in the community. He should have been a security guard or something, rather than a sworn officer. So, I lean against the hire, but it's not a slam dunk. Anything but a cop or DA or judge.....

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ex-DeForest police chief who made racist video hired by town of Madison Police Department

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Yes, there is the question as to how long a person should have to pay for his mistakes.

OTOH, there should be a higher standard for policemen, due to the trust issue our giant friend brought up. But that ship may have sailed.

One of the biggest complaints I used to hear from cop friends in NYC was that they had relaxed the standards too much. I knew an ex-cop who said he had trouble getting into the NYPD in the old days because he once got a ticket for throwing a Frisbee on a beach. By the 1980s there were allowing people with a misdemeanor conviction. Then, since they allowed ONE misdemeanor conviction, then it could be as many as you had. Which meant felons who plea bargained down to misdemeanor convictions could still get on the NYPD.

So the higher standards for cops may no longer apply. If it did, I would say don't hire him.

There is also the problem of liability for the Town of Madison. I remember talking to a friend of mine, a Fitchburg cop, who said the potential hires had to go through all sorts of screening to make sure they weren't hiring a violent psychopath. As in, you hire the wrong guy, and there are massive lawsuits.

The liability issue is probably a sufficient reason NOT to hire this guy. Seriously. There are quite a number of minority folks in the Town of Madison. Suppose one of them feels he was mistreated by this guy, and files a suit against the Town of Madison. OR suppose he is testifying in a trial, and the defense attorney is claiming the minority defendant was set up by a racist cop.

I think the case against hiring him was pretty strong. I wonder what wonderful attributes he had to override these.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:54 pm

And maybe I was too harsh. Maybe there is a place for him in law enforcement. He must have had some managerial skills to make chief, yes? Put him anywhere that he doesn't have to make decisions that will be examined for profiling. Because from now on, any decision he makes in that vein is going to be examined very closely.

The case might be made that this is paying for one mistake for the rest of his career but that's the way it is. Anybody who doesn't like his decisions can bring that up.

Return to “Town Vibe”