Middleton shooting

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Middleton shooting

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Yahoo has interviews with witnesses before our local news sites do. Plus they have the eerie music. I hope the victims pull through. What happened to the good neighbor city?

4 people injured in shooting at business in Madison suburb
https://www.yahoo.com/news/active-shoot ... 21060.html

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Middleton shooting

Postby HawkHead » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Our building is not too far away and I can see all the flashing lights out my window. We got an e-mail from the building manager to stay inside and not go towards Greenway. A couple of helicopters were flying around but they are gone now.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Local news has details now.

Three injured, no fatalities in Middleton workplace shooting
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crim ... 3BEF2C94B1

"The shooting occurred shortly before 10:30 a.m. at 1850 Deming Way, which houses companies that include WTS Paradigm and Esker Inc.. A witness to the shooting who works for WTS Paradigm but asked not to be named told the Wisconsin State Journal the shooter was a company employee...

WTS Paradigm office has about 160 employees at that location, he said. Founded in 1999 by CEO Nate Herbst and Lyn Hartl, WTS Paradigm makes software for the building products industry. It was ranked by Inc. magazine in 2014 and 2015 among the nation’s fastest-growing businesses...

"I saw a dude walking with a gun inside the building," King said. "He was just walking with it, and I didn't see any shooting."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:58 pm

According to Middleton's mayor, the shooter has died.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 pm

gargantua wrote:According to Middleton's mayor, the shooter has died.

I wonder what pissed him off.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Disgruntled employee is the usual reason. Lost his job? We will find out. Those businesses were closed for flooding a few days so they have had a rough time lately. WTS has bad reviews on glassdoor:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/WTS-P ... 349419.htm
"Calling all workaholics!"
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
Doesn't Recommend. Negative Outlook. Disapproves of CEO.

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time

Pros
Fun teams, flexible working times, open concept work space, outgoing company events.
Cons
No one cares if you have too much work. People and projects are dollar signs and that’s it. Success is measured by profit earned, not on positive customer relationships. Expect to work nights and weekends, and stress about the bottom line in every situation. Cliquey environment allows management to run the board."

"A Company in Crisis"
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee
Doesn't Recommend. Negative Outlook. Disapproves of CEO

I have been working at WTS Paradigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros
Nice building, free coffee, fun company events. Fast paced environment with cool tech.

Cons
CEO has history of verbally abusing employees including personal attacks and swear words. Also stokes his ego by belittling employees in front of customers. Also attacks customers behind their backs, attacking their intelligence, physical appearance or their company in general. Unethical behaviours any time money is involved: bill customers when they shouldn't, screw employees out of quarterly bonuses, and …"

"Prepare to be underpaid"
Former Employee - Anonymous in Middleton, WI
Doesn't Recommend. Negative Outlook. No opinion of CEO.

I worked at WTS Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros
They have a cool space, give you a lot of independence, and a lot of the people you work with are fun

Cons
You're either really important, or really unimportant there. They highly value upper management and pay them really well and then they pay very poorly for everyone else. They take advantage of being able to work you hard even though they are under paying you. Very focused on making money and not willing to spend it on their employees. There is a horrible hierarchy and they forget about all the people supporting them … "

WTS web site is down. Their fb site says they are having an annual conference next week:

"This September, we'll will open our Annual Conference to an even broader audience within the building products industry. Manufacturers, suppliers, retailers and vendors are all invited to participate in what has historically been a manufacturer-only conference! The event takes place September 24-27 in Madison, Wisconsin and will feature a full range of topics to attract the various levels within an organization, so there is something of value for sales and marketing, business leaders, and IT professionals. To learn more about this year’s conference, visit: http://wtsparadigm.com/forward/

"We are excited to announce that Coach Barry Alvarez, longtime Director of Athletics at the University of Wisconsin, will be our keynote speaker for our upcoming Annual Conference this September! Coach Alvarez will share his formula for leadership and building teams that win. "

https://www.facebook.com/wtsparadigm/

Looks like a fun place to work:

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:20 pm

And now a shooting at Monona Dr and Pflaum. No details.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Walker gave his thoughts and prayers (and received big bucks from the NRA, but that's another story).

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Shooter was 43-year-old Anthony Y. Tong of Madison. Lived at 9738 Gilded Cider Boulevard since last July. As usual, people described him as "quiet."

Medical Examiner identifies suspect in shooting at Middleton software company
https://www.channel3000.com/news/medica ... /797660481

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-motiv ... 43990.html

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 am

Channel 15 reports that Tong had his concealed carry permit revoked in 2004 because of a "mental health issue." And the cops say he got his firearm because of a "loophole." Such loopholes need to be closed, no matter what the NRA and the Second Amendment absolutists have to say about it.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 pm

The biggest "loophole" seems to be that this dangerous person, who was deemed to be mentally ill, was not locked up in an institution. People who are a danger to society should be locked up, no matter what the Henry's of the world have to say about it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 pm

That's why, at this morning's news conference, Chief Foulke said that he didn't want people to think that everyone, who is mentally ill, is going to kill someone. They are still investigating how the gun was obtained and what the motive was.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 pm

penquin wrote:The biggest "loophole" seems to be that this dangerous person, who was deemed to be mentally ill, was not locked up in an institution. People who are a danger to society should be locked up, no matter what the Henry's of the world have to say about it.

Are you saying that people who aren't legally allowed to have firearms because of mental illness should all be locked up? For life?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are you saying that people who aren't legally allowed to have firearms because of mental illness should all be locked up? For life?

If someone is considered insane to the point that they are considered too dangerous to possess a weapon then yes, I say that person is too dangerous to be walking around free & clear. That's just common sense. It doesn't have to be for life - if they get well then they should have their rights reinstated.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:48 pm

It was fascinating looking at the comments section on Yahoo before they released the name of the shooter.

Some of the more racist types were saying "I bet the shooter was black"
Others were saying "This is Wisconsin. Obviously a white guy"
Others: "probably a Muslim"

By this time I had already heard through the grapevine that the shooter was an Asian guy, and most likely not of the Muslim persuasion. I just had to shake my head at the way people tend to jump to conclusions before they have any information.

Return to “Town Vibe”