Best cities to raise a family

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Best cities to raise a family

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:34 am

Another top ranking for Madison. But avg commute is only 19 minutes here? Most people I know commute 30 to 60 minutes. Many of them live in outlying communities because they can't afford to live in Madison.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2018/08/the ... -a-family/

"Key Findings
– Madison Comes Out on Top: Madison, WI tops our first ever rankings of the Best Cities to Raise a Family. Thanks to a large population of younger adults, a strong local economy, and low crime high school dropout rates, Madison scored well above the other cities in our rankings.

– The Midwest and South Dominate: Of the ten best cities to raise a family, nine of them were either in the Midwest or the South, which was due largely to lower mortgage expenses for homeowners, shorter commutes, strong local economic conditions, and lower infant care costs.

– Northeast Shutout: There were no cities in the Northeast near the top of our rankings with Syracuse, NY coming in with the highest ranking of cities in the region at 25. While many of these cities have large populations of younger people, they were dragged down by higher spending on mortgages, longer commutes, and higher infant care costs.

Best Cities to Raise a Family
1. Madison, WI – The state capital and home to the University of Wisconsin, Madison has a lot to offer families. It had the lowest high school dropout rate of any city in our rankings, which should excite any would-be parent. Beyond that, residents in Madison can boast about their low commute times, averaging nineteen minutes, the fact that 69% of the population is under 45, and a current unemployment rate of 2.1%."

Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Re: Best cities to raise a family

Postby Aubrey McFate » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 am

Beaver wrote:Another top ranking for Madison. But avg commute is only 19 minutes here? Most people I know commute 30 to 60 minutes. Many of them live in outlying communities because they can't afford to live in Madison.

If they don't live in Madison, their commute times probably weren't taken into consideration.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:59 am

OK then this is misleading. But I live and work in Madison and commute is 45 mins by bus, 30 to 40 mins by car.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:09 am

Beaver wrote:OK then this is misleading. But I live and work in Madison and commute is 45 mins by bus, 30 to 40 mins by car.

I live in Madison and my commute is 8 minutes. Yes an individual's commute may be longer or shorter but on average over 200,000 people the number is 19 minutes.

Just between you and me, giving you 35 minutes for a drive time, we average 21 1/2 minutes. You also discount the number of people who work from home who have zero commute.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am

It's hard to evaluate the accuracy of an average 19 minute commute time without knowing all the variables. In my case, my wife and I both worked in the same building, so we bought a house in the same neighborhood as that building. Our commute time was four minutes.
But certainly if one needs to use the Beltline at rush hour, your commute is much different. Given the different variables, I have no reason not to believe that it averages out to about 19 minutes.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:45 am

I wasn't thinking about work from home. I only know one person here who works from home full time. To me I wouldn't count them at all since they have zero commute. So that raises measurement question. How do they define commuting? What about workers who have a commute that varies, such as home remodelers, repair men, musicians, realtors, home attendants, etc. How about people who have multiple jobs, and go to one job to the next job without first going home?

How do they define "working"? Full time? Part time? Seasonal workers? Temp workers? Volunteer workers? How about home makers? Parents who do home schooling?
Last edited by Beaver on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am

As long as they're using the same criteria to measure the commute in all the cities, what does it matter?

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am

It doesn't matter as far as comparing cities. It does matter as how they arrived at only 19 mins for Madison. Makes it sound like work commuting is very easy here but I don't think it is.

Weather Bob
Forum Addict

Postby Weather Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:22 am

Lubbock, TX is in the top 10? Yeah, sorry, but I call bullshit. I've been to Lubbock.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Weather Bob wrote:Lubbock, TX is in the top 10? Yeah, sorry, but I call bullshit. I've been to Lubbock.

Don't harsh our Willy Street buzz, dude...

Return to “Town Vibe”