State Street hotel

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

State Street hotel

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 am

I agree 9 stories is too tall.

State Street hotel project gets thumbs down from city staff, Madison Plan Commission to consider $43 million project Monday
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... 3BEF2C94B1

"The Planning Division has recommended denial of plans for the nine-story boutique hotel proposed for 118-126 State St., which would exceed the six-floor limit outlined in the city’s Comprehensive Plan and a Downtown plan adopted in 2012. “While staff acknowledges that the design of the proposed hotel has architectural merit, staff believes that the proposed scale and mass of the building does not comport to the existing or intended character of the flatiron block,” the staff report states."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: State Street hotel

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 am

The developer asked for nine floors, while hoping the city will compromise with seven or eight. The art of the deal.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 am

Vote now goes to city council. Looks like Planning Division will be over ruled.

State Street Hotel developers' $43 million project approved by Madison Plan Commission
The plan is 7-19 feet over the zoning height limit
https://www.channel3000.com/news/state- ... /796410325

"Developers with Ascendant Holdings want to remove two buildings; a large building known as the Fountain and the space next door that housed the former Tiki Bar. They plan to construct new buildings in their place and connect them with two adjacent buildings to create a four-story hotel on the State Street side. On the Dayton Street and Carroll Street side of the hotel, they plan to build a glass portion of the building rising from the fourth floor, making it nine stories including the rooftop terrace."

Looks like less than 9 floors in photo.

https://twitter.com/AmandaQTV/status/1041834366115168258/photo/1

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:53 am

Every time I see that property, I think of the old YWCA.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:57 am

It's time to replace the old, badly-remodeled buildings in question with something less ugly. So in that regard I support the development, as I believe we need to continue updating the downtown area so it doesn't look frozen in time like downtown Dubuque.

But this is just one more example of developers' regularly-used strategy of stretching the defined limits and then whining about how they can't do it at all unless they get every damn thing they want. In that regard I oppose the development. It's time to draw a line that should have been drawn long ago.

Take your pick: call their bluff, and if they refuse wait for another proposal, knowing the new developer should understand the limits are for real. Or let the present people build whatever they want, and say goodbye to any serious limits at all.

Maybe that train already left the station.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 am

The photo looks like it shows the Carrol and Dayon streets corner. There is very little parking there and I don't see an underground parking ramp. Where would guest parking and drop off be? Also, the Concourse hotel is nearby. Are they turning people away because they are so full?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Shorty wrote:State Street hotel project...

Shorty, you started the first thread about this hotel just a few months ago. Why the new thread? Did you regret abbreviating Street in the original thread title? You can edit that, you know.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 am

Another hotel just approved a short distance away.

Big hotel approved for Downtown MATC site

Return to “Town Vibe”