Floods

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Floods

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:49 am

Meanwhile, I've noticed a small bump in houses for sale in parts of the east Isthmus that were marked as flood-susceptible on the maps released during the flood event, and I personally know two more homeowners in the same area who are getting ready to sell but have not listed yet. Usually houses for sale in this area are few and get snapped up immediately at high prices that surprise us long-timers.

I'd sell too if I still lived down there. It's just a matter of time until we get a repeat.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:45 pm

snoqueen wrote:Meanwhile, I've noticed a small bump in houses for sale in parts of the east Isthmus that were marked as flood-susceptible on the maps released during the flood event, and I personally know two more homeowners in the same area who are getting ready to sell but have not listed yet. Usually houses for sale in this area are few and get snapped up immediately at high prices that surprise us long-timers.

I'd sell too if I still lived down there. It's just a matter of time until we get a repeat.

If that's common knowledge, it would soon become a buyer's market. Who'd have foreseen that, just a couple of months ago?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm

i am guessing that a bumper crop of toxic prague black mould (stachybotrys chartarum hughes 1837) in a neighbourhood or region is not really what the inventors of the superfund had in mind . . . it's a damn shame if that's the case because it was not the homeowners' fault and an act of god only in the strictest cartesian highest cause sense -- but somebody was caught with their pants down. it looks as if they were able to elongate the crest so that mc farland, stoughton, and the town of dunn and parts of south-east madison were not underwater though there are those islands in lake monona that have had chronic flooding, actually stone cold submersion, problems for as long as i can remember* . . . then again, another 50-125+ mm of rain is coming in the next few days and i wonder where that hurricane headed for san diego will go afterwards . . .

---
* one resident said some time ago that it was like "goddamn galveston (1900) every few years and getting worse . . ." maybe it is time for people to pull together and form the "the water is 2 damn high party"

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm

gargantua wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Meanwhile, I've noticed a small bump in houses for sale in parts of the east Isthmus that were marked as flood-susceptible on the maps released during the flood event, and I personally know two more homeowners in the same area who are getting ready to sell but have not listed yet. Usually houses for sale in this area are few and get snapped up immediately at high prices that surprise us long-timers.

If that's common knowledge, it would soon become a buyer's market. Who'd have foreseen that, just a couple of months ago?

For that section, yes. For the houses just outside the flood boundaries set by those maps, it means a big bump in value. "This is as close to that lake as you want to get. We've never had to sandbag here and the basement has never had water in it."

Also, those maps were created by the city. Which means the city knows what the exact elevation is for every lot in that map. I predict that lot elevation will become a standard piece of info on every home listing, just like lot size and number of bedrooms.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm

It's partly elevation, but also partly the layout of the storm sewers when it comes to flash flooding.

But yes -- flood potential is kind of an inverse solar-potential rating, decreasing rather than increasing a property's valuation.

Paleo2
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:24 pm

I've been lucky. My house is on a hill, and is about 20 years old. When this neighborhood was built, they took drainage into consideration. All the houses have a lifetime dry basement warranty. We have a sump pump, but I don't think it has ever been used. In some really heavy rain storms there has been quite a bit of water flowing through the streets and back yards, but never in our basement. And, being on a hill, it is well outside the flood plain.

In fact, one of our neighbors had some relatives staying with them who had been flooded out of their lakefront home.

I have family in NY. My sister-in-law is in Coney Island. Coney Island was entirely under water for Sandy, so lots of flooding.
My brother lives close to the beach in Long Island. The elevation of his house is 18'. The storm surge for Sandy was 16'. He did have water damage from rain coming through windows the wind broke, but no flooding.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:17 pm

there is a foron who lives on the hill
their house won't flood
but east washington will
construction did the boogie
they did the flex shot boogie
close all the cracks
plan to flood-proof it all night long

zed zed top

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Mendota is pretty damn close to the last high water lines today. I remember walking out to the mouth of the Yahara years ago and marveling at how the water was lapping at the very top of the rock wall. Today you can't see the rock wall and the grass around it is all soft and mushy.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Just think how it will be in a few days after the remnants of a tropical storm passes through by way of Arizona.
Arizona!

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm

gargantua wrote:Just think how it will be in a few days after the remnants of a tropical storm passes through by way of Arizona.
Arizona!

It will be beautiful after the flash flooding,

I lived in the CA desert and when we got rain the desert flowers were unbelievable. They would sit dormant for years waiting for enough water to bloom.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:22 am

Meanwhile back at the ranch, we're looking at our last day of sun, thunderstorms tonight, and scattered showers and storms for the next week or so.

Leave the sandbags right where they are. Later on we can think about moving to the Arizona rain forest.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:40 am

yesterday the commentary on the national weather service forecast said that the current pattern would be the case for the forseeable future, i believe the phrasing was . . . one conjecture this morning calls for 5-8 inches/125-200 mm in the next week for basically the entire state . . . i guess one could say that at least it is liquid -- if it were snow or sleet or other frozen precipitation that amount of moisture would fluff out to several feet . . .

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:58 pm

From the city:

"Potential Rising Waters and Reminders on Sandbags and Parking
Both Lake Mendota and Monona rose about 5 inches following the rain we received last Sunday and Monday. Lake Mendota is currently one foot below the 100-year elevation and 6 inches below the storm High. Lake Monona sits 1 inch over the 100-year flood elevation. That is 9 inches below the storm high. Both lakes have peaked for now, but more rain is predicted.

More rain is expected tonight through the middle of next week. A further rise in lake levels will occur if the area receives the amounts or rain predicted. City staff will continue to monitor the weather and the lake levels.
Water is appearing on Mifflin St west of Livingston St and just starting to appear on Johnson St at the Yahara River. Therefore, we are again facing possible lane or road closures.

City staff are reminding residents to check their sandbags, make sure they are in proper locations to protect property if water continues to rise. We are also asking that you don’t park your vehicles in areas in low-lying areas. If you see water pooling, and there is rain in the forecast, avoid that area for parking.
Visit cityofmadison.com/flooding for updates.
"

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

I've been around for six and a half decades of them, and I can't remember a crappier summer and fall. Basically it mostly sucked with a week or two of relief from the sucking here and there.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:44 am

Policy group looks to lower lake levels
Due to the large amount of rain during this past summer, lake levels are high. Taking into account existing challenges with the system, this is an additional inconvenience in managing the water.

"This year things are particularly tough due to that volume, but also because of some of the natural characteristics the Yahara chain. It's an incredibly flat system naturally, there's a lot of gradient," said Laura Hicklin, Director of the Dane County Land and Water Resources Department. "We have developed some of our most vulnerable areas that have historically served as flood plain during these high water times. We have climate change which leads to increased volumes of water going into the system. We have development that's added water to the system. And we have a lot of natural and man-made construction points that slow the flow of water leaving the system."

All of those factors have contributed to the current lake levels.

It seems they don't solely blame Mendota lakefront property owners.

Return to “Town Vibe”