State St hotel

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

State St hotel

Postby Shorty » Mon May 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Another big development project that doesn't look so good after all.

Report finds new designs for State Street hotel more problematic for nextdoor landmark
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 3BEF2C94B1

"The project, slated for the 100 block of State Street, will appear before the city Landmarks Commission on Monday, May 14, 5 p.m. in the City-County building at 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. The commission is taking a second look because designs have significantly changed since it was originally approved in October, as the project has expanded its footprint.

Originally, the hotel was slated for 122 and 118 State St. The 122 State St. building will be completely demolished and 118 State St. will be partially retained. The project then acquired 124 and 126 State St; 124 State St. will be completely demolished and the building at 126 State St. will be partially retained. The proposed 130-room hotel has frontages on State Street, North Carroll Street and West Dayton Street."
Last edited by Shorty on Mon May 14, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: State St hotel

Postby gargantua » Mon May 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Well, if it's indeed the case that the designs have changed significantly, it's appropriate to take another look at it.
Aside from the landmarks issue, the lack of any provision for parking bothers me. Parking downtown isn't exactly a treat as it is, so adding demand without adding supply....sucks.

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm

I just don't get the obsession with cramming hotels into that area.

You've got the Concourse, which just renovated top-to-bottom a few years ago and has 373 rooms. At least they have their own underground parking.

In the MATC building, they want to put the Drury Plaza Hotel, which would have 315 rooms and 270 parking spots.

And now 120ish rooms in another hotel across the street from the Concourse, with the idea of using the Carroll Street Ramp for parking?

I mean, what the hell? Talk about congestion. That's literally eight hundred rooms within two blocks of one another.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon May 14, 2018 7:50 pm

You'd have to listen to drunk idiots yelling their heads off all night long. Hardly seems worth $200 / night.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Market surveys must have indicated potential hotel guests exist, so what events are all these guests supposedly attending, guests who had no place to stay before?

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Mon May 14, 2018 8:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:Market surveys must have indicated potential hotel guests exist, so what events are all these guests supposedly attending, guests who had no place to stay before?

That's what's confusing me. Obviously the increased hotel capacity downtown will be good for things like Epic's UGM or XGM or whatever the hell they call their annual event (since Epic shuttles people to the Dells now for it), UW graduation, Badger home games, Ironman, etc. (basically the weekends when every downtown hotel room is sold out), so that's good for room tax revenue, but it sure as hell isn't intended for conventions at Monona Terrace, because business travelers aren't going to be sent to a boutique hotel (and that's the whole point of the JDS project, anyway).

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Overture shows? Halloween? Football games?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 pm

timby wrote:...it sure as hell isn't intended for conventions at Monona Terrace, because business travelers aren't going to be sent to a boutique hotel (and that's the whole point of the JDS project, anyway).

Depends on the business, depends on the traveler.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Along with other activities/events already mentioned, they can market being on good old quirky, fun State Street. It's close to the Farmers Market, Art Fair, Concerts on the Square, even the Taste of Madison and Maxwell Street Days. So they can attract tourists, and plenty of people travel here for state or UW business and events. If it's a cool hotel, it'll get occupancy.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 am

timby wrote:In the MATC building, they want to put the Drury Plaza Hotel,

Drury ? That's really the name they want to use?

Are they going to stock Moland Springs water in the wet bar?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 am

narcoleptish wrote:
timby wrote:In the MATC building, they want to put the Drury Plaza Hotel,

Drury ? That's really the name they want to use?

Are they going to stock Moland Springs water in the wet bar?

Drury is actually a big chain elsewhere. We visited family who have the misfortune to live in SW Missouri, and there were Drury hotels all over the place.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 am

snoqueen wrote:Market surveys must have indicated potential hotel guests exist, so what events are all these guests supposedly attending, guests who had no place to stay before?

Most likely they are attending the same events mentioned by others, but staying in Sun Prairie or Middleton instead of downtown Madison.

And I could easily see a couple of the conferences at Monona Terrace putting up their keynote speaker at a State St hotel rather then the attached Hilton...especially local groups and organizations that wanna show off our city.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Most likely they are attending the same events mentioned by others, but staying in Sun Prairie or Middleton instead of downtown Madison.

Remember when every developer in the area put up high end condos downtown (and further away, for some over optimistic companies)? The next thing that happened was downtown condos were way overbuilt, we had something like a five-year oversupply, and some people lost a lot of money. I don't need to name names -- they suffered enough.

I always thought whatever market surveys they did all counted the same relatively limited number of buyers. As a result of the duplicate counts, too many expensive condos were built for too few real prospects, or maybe too few real housing dollars.

So are hotel builders doing the same thing? Just because somebody is staying in Sun Prairie or in an east side airbnb this year doesn't mean they're a realistic prospect to stay in an expensive downtown hotel next year. Maybe the hotel people are all counting on the same customers just like the condo people did.

I'm not at all against redevelopment of old downtown properties, but I have questions about this particular business plan.

Anybody know how Edgewater is doing now that they've had time to stabilize? All my contacts over there have moved on.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Part of it is how the student body has changed. I would not have been accepted, nor would I have been able to afford going to UW Madtown, if current cost and admissions policies had been in effect twenty years ago. Today's student parents are not blue collar, they don't buy off the rack and they don't stay at Country Inn and Suites. They look for high end facilities when they do a campus visit and there ain't enough for that for a normal soar session any more.

timby
Forum Addict

Postby timby » Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm

snoqueen wrote:Anybody know how Edgewater is doing now that they've had time to stabilize? All my contacts over there have moved on.

They're still experiencing ridiculous amounts of staff turnover (that's normal in hotels, but Edgewater's is still well above the norm) but, from what I've heard through the grapevine--I haven't worked directly in Madison hospitality for a couple of years--their occupancy is excellent and they're really putting heat on the Concourse and Hilton. They went from being like #35 to #9 on TripAdvisor in the span of a year. The relaunched restaurant is apparently doing gangbusters.

Return to “Town Vibe”