Fr. Kunz case

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Fr. Kunz case

Postby Shorty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:30 am

Got any tips?

Sheriff's Office launches Facebook page for tips on Fr. Kunz homicide
Sunday marks 20 years since death at St. Michael's
https://www.channel3000.com/news/sherif ... /709058765

"The Dane County Sheriff's Office has launched a Facebook page seeking tips in the unsolved murder of a Dane County priest. Father Alfred Kunz was found murdered in St. Michael's Parish in the village of Dane on the morning of March 4, 1998. Twenty years later, the case is still unsolved, but the Sheriff's Office said the case remains open and detectives remain assigned to the case."

From the fb page:
"My name is Father Alfred Kunz. I was 67 years old at the time of my death. My lifeless body was discovered in a pool of blood on the morning of March 4, 1998, in the hallway of the parochial school attached to St Michael’s Catholic Church, in the tiny village of Dane, in northwest Dane County. I was a controversial figure in the Catholic church; I led very-traditional Latin Masses almost daily at the church. My conservative views, while serving on the Marriage Tribunal for the diocese, ultimately led to my dismissal. I had resisted the changes made by “Vatican II”, in the 1960s - which drew many to me and turned many away.

Investigators:
Investigators learned much about Father Kunz in the many years of the investigation. In his younger years, Kunz had been a Golden Gloves boxer, and he was still in great shape for a man his age. Due to the solitary nature of his life, and his tendency to run things himself at the school and church, it was extremely difficult for investigators to timeline his activities in the final days. Investigators often wished that cell phones were as common then, as they are now.

2018 is the 20th anniversary of the brutal murder of Father Kunz. The Dane County Sheriff’s Office is hoping to re-invigorate the investigation of this case, and encourages anyone with information to contact the TIPS line at 608-284-6900 or email at tips@danesheriff.com"

https://www.facebook.com/alfred.kunz.1422?fref=mentions

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fr. Kunz case

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 am

Always fascinated by this case. There are lots of rumors that people in town know who did it but keep quiet. Some say Kunz was involved with married women and it stemmed from that. Supposedly a top suspect is the teacher who found him but it can't be proven.

This seems like a fairly credible theory:

http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=2982

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Interesting. I would think a reward would be enough to make someone talk.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Shorty wrote:Interesting. I would think a reward would be enough to make someone talk.

There are a lot of variables. Is the reward enough? Does anyone know for sure what happened? We should accept the possibility that no one but the killer knows what really happened.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:23 am

Maybe the negative social consequences of telling the story outweigh the value of the reward for whoever knows the truth.

I wish there would be some deathbed confession to solve the mystery. It's annoying to think people know and just won't talk, like in some deep south murder or a mob hit. Makes you realize how tribal people can be under a civilized surface.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

$50,000 reward.

20 years later, murder of Dane priest Alfred Kunz still unsolved
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 3BEF2C94B1

"The list of murder suspects has grown from one to “a handful” because of new information that has been uncovered over the past few years, according to Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney. The lead suspect, who had been the center of the investigation since shortly after the murder, is now considered a person of interest, Mahoney said...

Hampson also had an opinion about the outspoken Kunz, who was a polarizing figure in the church and elsewhere during his 32 years at St. Michael. After debunking every conspiracy theory and wild claim that came forth about Kunz — including that he had affairs with women and was killed by a jealous lover — Hampson said he came to the conclusion that Kunz “wasn’t anything but a decent guy.”

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Return to “Town Vibe”