Monroe street construction

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Monroe street construction

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:32 am

gargantua wrote:Well, I guess they should know. When I ventured out on it last week, it didn't look like it could possibly be finished during the calendar year, even if the rain stopped. But, perhaps a lot of work was done that wouldn't be apparent to a casual observer.

This was true of the E Wash, Willy St, and E Johnson St projects. Months pass where they seem to just dig and fill, dig and fill, and then all of a sudden the pavement phase arrives and gets done in a surprisingly short time right at the end.

The contractors have completion date incentives, of course ($$) and nobody wants the project to drag out, but sometimes nature or other forces just take over.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:20 am

gargantua wrote:I hope this hiatus isn't a casualty in disguise. Jac's Dining and Tap House posted on Facebook that they'd be closed today. No big deal, it's Father's Day, right? It went on to say they'd reopen in mid-July.
I don't like the sound of that.....

Jac's is still closed and I think it's permanent. Cat cafe closed, also, blaming it on construction.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 am

I doubt if the Cat Café could have survived even if Monroe St. wasn't under construction. It was a passing fad (I doubt if they got many repeat customers) and rent is high on that street.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Shorty wrote:
gargantua wrote:I hope this hiatus isn't a casualty in disguise. Jac's Dining and Tap House posted on Facebook that they'd be closed today. No big deal, it's Father's Day, right? It went on to say they'd reopen in mid-July.
I don't like the sound of that.....

Jac's is still closed and I think it's permanent. Cat cafe closed, also, blaming it on construction.

I think you're probably right about Jac's too. Something will open up there, but very likely under different ownership. I have to think most, if not all of Jac's employees have moved on after all this time.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 am

Completion date has just been pushed back a week, until Nov.21. If rains continue, it might move back even more.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 am

Nov 21 it is.

Monroe Street to reopen in both directions Wednesday
https://www.channel3000.com/news/monroe ... /875895391

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:52 am

Will Soglin cut a ribbon? Will Shorty be there?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Drove down the newly opened westbound lanes late this morning. A lot more car going eastbound. A few places where it was down to one lane, due to work being finished up. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

I am Jack's PO Box

Postby I am Jack's PO Box » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:58 pm

There is a reopening ceremony. From Allen Artsen's alder page:

We will officially celebrate the grand reopening of the street on Saturday, December 1. This is going to be a very big event! I includes a "Where's Wingra" treasure hunt for kids ages 2-10 that has 17 businesses participating, and an evening of Afterglow dining/drink specials aimed at attracting new young adult customers.

The schedule is as follows:
1. At 10:00 the bright red vintage Badger Trolleybus will depart from HotelRED with Santa, city officials, workers from Speedway Sand and Gravel and representatives of the Monroe St. Merchants Association on board . It will be led by four Cooper Mini reindeer as it drives to the far west end of Monroe Street and turns around so that it can stop at the west business district (location TBD) for a ribbon cutting, and then proceed to Monroe Commons (by Trader Joe's) for a second ribbon cutting.
2. Santa will get off to greet children between 11:00 and 12:00
3. The trolley will give free rides until 2:00.
4. There will be two groups of carolers in the afternoon, one from Madison's Gilbert and Sullivan troupe The Savoyards, and the other the popular a cappella group The Ambulatones.
5. Henry the Lion, the mascot from the Zoo will be on Monroe Street from 1:00-2:00.

3 Sheeps IPS is releasing a Two Way IPA in honor of the completion of the roadwork that is an imperial IPA "brewed using a whirlpool addition of Citra hops and a dry hop of Sorachi Ace. The resulting beer is bursting with Citrus, Lemon. and slight woody notes."

https://www.cityofmadison.com/council/d ... 3/updates/

Return to “Town Vibe”