Monroe street construction

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Monroe street construction

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:17 pm

After years of talking about it and putting it off, it has begun.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/monroe ... /693149995

"For nearly four years, resurfacing and reconstructing Monroe Street on Madison's West Side was discussed and delayed. But for the street that has tens of thousands of vehicles travel on it each day, phase one of roadwork finally begins Monday.

Until mid-March, only one lane of eastbound traffic and one lane of westbound traffic will be maintained at all times between Chapman Street and Woodrow Street. The peak hour traffic lanes will be closed, which Madison Gas and Electric crews install underground gas lines...

The sidewalk on one side of the street will be open at all times. The second phase of construction, schedule from mid-March to mid-November, is more expansive, encompassing the entire street. One eastbound traffic lane will remain open from Odana Road, and one will also remain open from Nakoma Road."

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Monroe street construction

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

I wouldn't mind the clusterfuck this is gonna be even a little bit if this much-needed construction was going to be done properly, but I know better. Come next spring, it'll be right back to the same terrible condition it is now, mark my words. (Note to the city: I would very much love to be proved wrong!)

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm curious about why you think that. I hate driving on the road surface there more than anywhere else in the city. I can't imagine it can possibly get that bad again that fast.
Now, if you're talking traffic flow only, yeah,that will pretty much suck the same.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:20 pm

I feel that way because it's always how it happens in this town (and across the USA in general.)
Monroe street has been fixed before since I've lived here, as has Mineral Point and other roads I use often.
They're good for a season, maybe two, before they're cracked and full of holes again, in my experience.

Resurfacing isn't enough. The road needs to be rebuilt properly. That means a thick (i.e. deep) road with a strong foundation. Tax payers balk at the initial cost of that, though (as do construction crews, since it means more work again sooner if they do it shoddily) so instead of doing it right, we do it quickly, which is why the finished product needs almost immediate and then constant maintenance. European roads are built much better, which is why they don't have a seemingly endless "construction season". Do it right once and you won't need to do much to maintain it for several decades.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:20 pm

I agree with the Professor. If only a fraction of the brilliant minds so dedicated to extending human life, far beyond our body's ability to enjoy it, could be redirected to working to extend the life of simple pavement, the world would be a better place. At least the northern hemisphere.

And for the love of god can they possibly bring the manhole covers up to level with the new pavement? I've bitched about this before but brand new streets with sunken manhole covers is just bullshit.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 pm

narcoleptish wrote:And for the love of god can they possibly bring the manhole covers up to level with the new pavement? I've bitched about this before but brand new streets with sunken manhole covers is just bullshit.

Tell me about it! I often have to slalom around those things on University Avenue in particular (my car is small enough to do that safely). That road is still in pretty good shape.....except for the damn manholes. They were a pain in the ass on day one.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:03 pm

The reconstruction of E Wash from Blair to First Street took several years, but it seems to be holding up pretty well. That was a total, complete re-do right down to the pipes underneath. Maybe the work was done to a higher standard because it's a major highway as well as a city street.

E. Johnson from around Blair to Ingersoll has held up pretty well since its reconstruction.

So has Willy Street.

Both those latter two are around five or six years old now (correct that if you can) so maybe they'll start falling apart now. I hope not.

The new part of Monona Drive is holding up just fine so far.

University Ave is as complicated as E. Wash, maybe worse. I agree it's an ongoing mess and can't figure out quite why.

I hope Monroe turns out ok, but remember how long our street rebuilds took on the east side and have patience. A whole season's business was lost for many of the stores alongside the construction. I think most but not all people would say the results were worth it.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Sounds like I might have a case of "only remembering the bad stuff" then, which would be wonderful.
I love when that happens!

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I wouldn't mind the clusterfuck this is gonna be even a little bit if this much-needed construction was going to be done properly, but I know better. Come next spring, it'll be right back to the same terrible condition it is now, mark my words. (Note to the city: I would very much love to be proved wrong!)

I can't comment on this specific project but can agree with you in general.

We've lived in our house for 17 years and the street has been resurfaced at least twice. It's scheduled to be redone again this coming summer.

Resurfacing is less expensive than completely redoing a road but with how often it needs to be done I wonder how much, if any, savings there actually are.

The cycle typically follows this pattern...

Road is in terrible shape and is resurfaced.
The road is in good shape for 1-2 years.
Road is in poor shape for another 1-2 years.
Road is in terrible shape for another 1-2 years.
Resurface road.

Simply put, the majority of the time the road is in poor to terrible condition.

Our street is in embarrassingly bad condition, and has been for at least the last two years. Cars zig zag down the road to avoid the all the potholes. It's like the Rubicon Trail.

I'm hoping that this time around that they do a more thorough reconstruction.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:50 am

I thought only part of Monroe Street will be resurfaced, but another part with be a total reconstruction, with all underground utility lines (sewer, etc.) being replaced and updated.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I thought only part of Monroe Street will be resurfaced, but another part with be a total reconstruction, with all underground utility lines (sewer, etc.) being replaced and updated.

That is correct.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 am

Local businesses suffering as Monroe Street construction begins
https://www.channel3000.com/news/local- ... /706903389

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 am

Every time there is road construction in a business district, this type of story appears.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Every time there is road construction in a business district, this type of story appears.

I wonder if it's the same story. There are blanks to insert specific street/business names, and the rest of the verbiage is static.
It'd save a lot of time.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Oh look! Madison's city bird.

Return to “Town Vibe”