Car thefts

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Car thefts

Postby Beaver » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:17 am

Why were those three young girls with him? One from Shorewood Hills? I thought rich girls knew better.

4 youngsters face charges after stolen car pursuit, crash on Beltline
https://www.channel3000.com/news/crime/ ... /695042469

"On Friday, police announced that a 15-year-old Shorewood Hills girl, a 14-year-old Madison girl and a 12-year-old Madison girl were arrested on suspicion of operating a motor vehicle without consent as passengers. The unlicensed 16-year-old Madison boy driving was arrested on suspicion of fleeing or eluding an officer and operating a motor vehicle without consent."

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 am

Some municipalities across the country have enacted ordinances that prohibit warming up unattended cars. Should that step be taken locally?

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Some municipalities across the country have enacted ordinances that prohibit warming up unattended cars. Should that step be taken locally?

Didn't Madison actually do that last year?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:39 pm

npler wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Some municipalities across the country have enacted ordinances that prohibit warming up unattended cars. Should that step be taken locally?

Didn't Madison actually do that last year?

Good question. I recall that some sort of ordinance regulating idling was discussed, but I don't know if it was enacted.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:26 am

Ordinance approved in September, but it is a limitation not a prohibition.

https://madison.legistar.com/Legislatio ... rch=idling

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Beaver wrote:Why were those three young girls with him? One from Shorewood Hills? I thought rich girls knew better.

Not everyone in Shorewood Hills is rich, just like not everyone in south Madison is a minority.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:38 pm

david cohen wrote:
Beaver wrote:Why were those three young girls with him? One from Shorewood Hills? I thought rich girls knew better.

Not everyone in Shorewood Hills is rich, just like not everyone in south Madison is a minority.

Take it easy on the Beaver, Ward.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Can't blame it on cold weather now.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crim ... user-share

"Madison police chief Mike Koval wrote in his blog Wednesday that 34 of the 38 vehicles stolen in Madison in July had keys in them. He wrote that six of those vehicles also were unlocked and the engine was running when they were stolen. "Please, please, please -- lock up your vehicles, even if you will only be gone for a moment," Koval blogged.

Koval also blogged that the 38 stolen vehicle reports last month represented a 16 percent decrease compared to July, 2017. The West Side had the most stolen vehicle reports (13), followed by the East Side (10)."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:56 pm

We had a few stolen vehicles in my neighborhood. They all had the keys in them. So the neighborhood Facebook group had people whining about "blaming the victims ". Damn right I'm blaming the victims. Stupidity has consequences. In five decades of owning a car, I have never, even once, so much as considered leaving my keys in the car. And I never had one stolen. I'm guessing that's not a coincidence.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 am

I thought people quit doing that in about 1960.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:01 pm

i wonder what the means of entry for the other four of the 38 were . . . it sounds some automobile manufacturers include a solid sheet of steel in each of the
doors to prevent opening them with a coat hanger, but i can imagine that facilitating someone drowning on a day like today . . . and making it harder to hot-wire the fucker, as the audi owners' manual puts it, may have unintended consequences of the same type . . . the one time i locked keys in an automobile it was -50°c outside, the dead of night in an exposed location 2000+ m above sea level and luckily it took less than a second for me to open the door with a hanger

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:28 pm

This was in a neighborhood email I received. Apparently in Dane co teens can not be punished for car theft, so that is why it keeps happening. Also below is a news article about a repeat offender.

"I spoke with Officer Kressin regarding the ongoing car thefts in our neighborhood. He indicated that it is not just our neighborhood that it is occurring. He indicated that they know the kids that are doing it and they have been arrested. The unfortunate thing is that before his report is complete, the judges let them go and they are back on the streets. This group of kids are looking for unlocked cars and cars with keys in it.

The officers are policing our neighborhood more frequently and are getting calls when the kids are seen in the area. They are immediately responding to these calls and will corral the kids out of the area (they cannot arrest the kids when they are checking door handles). He suggested that all concerned residents should send letters to our Government Officials and ask for stricter measures for this type of crime. He indicated if this occurred in Sauk County, the kids would be sent to Juvenile Detention Center for 30-days. There is no consequence here, so they are repeating the crime over and over."

15-year-old Madison gang member arrested for allegedly stealing car ... for fifth time
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/crim ... 013.html#1

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Can teens in a stolen car be punished if they crash and injure someone else? Seems like criminal activity.

"The Madison Police Department is asking for help in identifying teenagers who ran from a crashed stolen SUV Tuesday afternoon. Madison police said three teenagers were inside a stolen SUV when it ran a red light at 1:21 p.m. at the intersection of Mineral Point Road and South Gammon Road.

Police said the SUV was also speeding just before the collision. Surveillance video shows the SUV T-boning another vehicle on its driver's side. Before the SUV comes to a complete stop, the three teens got out of the blue SUV and ran north on Gammon."

https://www.channel3000.com/news/police ... /799438138

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Don't be surprised if we find out that at least some of those kids have been apprehended before and released. So, real talk here, when I see a "help us identify" plea, my reaction is "why bother?"

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:19 pm

'I thought they were going to kill me': Juveniles arrested in connection to battery
https://www.channel3000.com/news/juveni ... /805769021

"The boy then attempted to grab the key ring from the woman's hand forcefully. She began to scream and run back to her workplace while the boy pulled at her purse strap and swung her by it. The victim also reported that the girl tripped her to the ground. After the victim fell on the pavement, police said that the boy continued to try and grab her purse while the girl kicked her.

According to the police, the victim said, "I thought they were going to kill me. I didn't know what they were going to do," and that she could feel her head "grinding into the pavement." The victim also reported the teens mocking her for curling up to avoid injury. Officials said that the boy and girl were able to steal her purse, keys and SUV before they drove away."

Return to “Town Vibe”