501-WVV

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 501-WVV

Postby Roy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:20 am

The cyclist did not have a stop sign.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 am

nonyuppie wrote:Yeah, like there's no difference between the potential consequences of running a stop sign in a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds and running a stop sign on a 30-pound bicycle.

Sure there is. If you do it on a bike, and kill yourself, you get a permanent white monument chained to the stop sign. If you do it in a car, you're a scofflaw who deserved to die.

This A-hole didn't "run" the stop sign, he did a rolling stop, and it was the least of his offenses in the video. Can anyone on here say they've never done a rolling stop? Not that he deserved what happened but we have no way of knowing what kind of a look the biker gave the guy or if he mouthed something as he went by. For the reaction he got I'm betting he did something more than riding down the middle of the lane. People who feel the need to react to every little traffic transgression that happens to them are bound to trigger a bad reaction now and then. Maybe a guy who feels the need to wear a helmet-cam everywhere he goes has a history of inciting bad reactions in people?

nonyuppie wrote:So now bicyclists are supposed to ride at a pace you approve of, right?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. An impressive level of perception not usually seen in the common dink.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 am

Roy wrote:The cyclist did not have a stop sign.

He rolled through the stop sign at the end of the video at Baldwin st. It's not a big deal, we all do it. Unless of course its being done to him.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:57 am

DCB wrote:I don't like this argument much, but I do think it is relevant that careless biking isn't going to cause as much damage as careless driving.

How about the psychological damage to the innocent driver who had no intention to go out and kill somebody that day?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 am

narcoleptish wrote:
DCB wrote:I don't like this argument much, but I do think it is relevant that careless biking isn't going to cause as much damage as careless driving.

How about the psychological damage to the innocent driver who had no intention to go out and kill somebody that day?

I didn't say "no damage". Just less.
People who feel the need to react to every little traffic transgression that happens to them are bound to trigger a bad reaction now and then.

Being intentionally assaulted by a car is not a "little traffic transgression".
Maybe a guy who feels the need to wear a helmet-cam everywhere he goes has a history of inciting bad reactions in people?

Or maybe he's just had a history of encountering assholes like 501-WVV. And every bicyclist who uses a public road is likely to have encountered an asshole like that.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:36 am

Christ, if people could just bother to comprehend what they're reading, Roy would know what stop sign I was talking about and you would know what transgression.

Forget it, I'm sorry I started arguing in the first place. I'm sorry I called nonyuppie a dink. I'm not anti-bike and that driver was an ass and it's apparently his regular M.O. from all the chatter. I just question whether there's more to this particular incident than what we can see on the video.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 am

narcoleptish wrote:Christ, if people could just bother to comprehend what they're reading, Roy would know what stop sign I was talking about and you would know what transgression.

Forget it, I'm sorry I started arguing in the first place. I'm sorry I called nonyuppie a dink. I'm not anti-bike and that driver was an ass and it's apparently his regular M.O. from all the chatter. I just question whether there's more to this particular incident than what we can see on the video.

I'm certain that there is. He was very likely goaded into using his car as a weapon and ready for violence when he got out. The problem is that we're not supposed to let anything get us that mad when we're in a moving vehicle. Even if that biker had thrown feces at him, his behavior isn't excusable. That's the whole thing.

And yes the biker SORTA did a rolling stop on that stop sign at the end of the video. He stopped behind that car and was kind of moving while he looked both ways before he went through, which the car driver did NOT do until the bike was almost in front of him.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 pm

I figure he was still in "bust ass to get away from the homicidal maniac" riding mode when he fudged that stop sign.

But yeah, I'm sure he fudges most stop signs, like most bikers including myself. And like most motorists including myself.

*rewatched it. He's basically fully stopped, no foul.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:27 pm

It looked to me like 2 schmucks' paths got crossed and one went a bit more overboard than the other. Alas, it takes 2 to tango. Probably the last time that driver engages a schmucky bicyclist and the last time the bicyclist engages a schmucky driver. Carry on!

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:11 pm

65-year-old man clings to hood of car for 3 miles in wild Massachusetts road rage incident
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/65-old-man-cl ... ories.html

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm

At some point, Kamrowski of Framingham, Massachusetts, reached into Fitzgerald's vehicle and snatched a water bottle and then stood in front of Fitzgerald's SUV, police said.

what happened to the water bottle, and why did the guy expropriate it in the first place?

is his ride a world record for car surfing, however unintentional?

Return to “Town Vibe”