501-WVV

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

501-WVV

Postby bdog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Just saw this road rage story on the news. Anyone recognize this asshole?

http://rate-driver.com/WI/501WVV

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 501-WVV

Postby Cadfael » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:25 pm

I kinda thought you'd be on his side.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:08 am

The news reported this happened at Ingersol and Jenifer. Figured some of the east siders here might recognize him.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:38 am

First off, the driver acted like a douche, is completely identifiable, and will now be hunted by every bike vigilante on the east side, so he'll pay for it.

Secondly, at the end of the video, at the intersection of Baldwin, the biker does the exact same rolling stop at the stop sign that he derides the driver for doing earlier. The rolling stop for which he gave the driver the long head turning stink eye, which was probably the trigger for the whole incident. You know the guy blows stop signs all day long and to get all righteous because a car does it, makes him a douche too.

Thirdly, I gotta give the biker credit for the brisk pace he was keeping there. That, and for using Jenifer (which is specifically marked for bikes) instead of "taking the lane" on Williamson like some are apt to do.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:58 am

narcoleptish wrote:First off, the driver acted like a douche, is completely identifiable, and will now be hunted by every bike vigilante on the east side, so he'll pay for it.

Could be an interesting premise for a Stephen King short story / soon to be major motion picture.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:21 pm

As soon as they know where he lives that car is going to be the neighborhood spittoon.

My favorite comment from Reddit/Madison:

Calls you a faggot and drives a red Scion XD...

https://www.reddit.com/r/madisonwi/comm ... ay_in_our/

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:31 pm

So it IS a neighborhood guy:

I can ID the driver and the car, I know where he lives. In fact, the entire neighborhood can ID this guy. He is normally found yelling at his children in the park because they aren't throwing the baseball correct.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:52 pm

The unfortunate part of the entire eastside online busybody community coming down on this guy will be the probable negative effect on his family. If he is the hothead that he appears, he'll probably be an absolute joy to live with for the next week or so.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The unfortunate part of the entire eastside online busybody community coming down on this guy will be the probable negative effect on his family. If he is the hothead that he appears, he'll probably be an absolute joy to live with for the next week or so.

Based on the comments on the neighborhood FB page, I have a feeling his family is used to it by now.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:05 pm

nonyuppie
Forum Addict

Postby nonyuppie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:25 pm

narcoleptish wrote:First off, the driver acted like a douche, is completely identifiable, and will now be hunted by every bike vigilante on the east side, so he'll pay for it.

Secondly, at the end of the video, at the intersection of Baldwin, the biker does the exact same rolling stop at the stop sign that he derides the driver for doing earlier. The rolling stop for which he gave the driver the long head turning stink eye, which was probably the trigger for the whole incident. You know the guy blows stop signs all day long and to get all righteous because a car does it, makes him a douche too.

Yeah, like there's no difference between the potential consequences of running a stop sign in a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds and running a stop sign on a 30-pound bicycle.

narcoleptish wrote:Thirdly, I gotta give the biker credit for the brisk pace he was keeping there. That, and for using Jenifer (which is specifically marked for bikes) instead of "taking the lane" on Williamson like some are apt to do.

So now bicyclists are supposed to ride at a pace you approve of, right?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:50 pm

nonyuppie wrote:Yeah, like there's no difference between the potential consequences of running a stop sign in a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds and running a stop sign on a 30-pound bicycle.

Not defending the driver here. But I hate this argument. If a biker blows a stop sign and hits my vehicle and paralyzes himself, the damage to me, and my finances, is not going to be zero. Less than if a car hits me for sure, but I am going to have partial liability for even sitting in a car that gets hit when fully stopped.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:03 pm

I've long thought that the penalty for speeding or running a stop sign should be proportional to the kinetic energy of the offender's vehicle.
½mv² x standard_penalty_unit = fine.

It reflects both the potential for damage and the degree of recklessness.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:13 am

Igor wrote:
nonyuppie wrote:Yeah, like there's no difference between the potential consequences of running a stop sign in a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds and running a stop sign on a 30-pound bicycle.

Not defending the driver here. But I hate this argument. If a biker blows a stop sign and hits my vehicle and paralyzes himself, the damage to me, and my finances, is not going to be zero. Less than if a car hits me for sure, but I am going to have partial liability for even sitting in a car that gets hit when fully stopped.

I don't like this argument much, but I do think it is relevant that careless biking isn't going to cause as much damage as careless driving.

However, its much more relevant that in this particular video, I didn't see any other traffic in the intersection during the bike's rolling stop. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Return to “Town Vibe”