How Good is the Goodman Foundation for Madison?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How Good is the Goodman Foundation for Madison?

Postby Cadfael » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Can you give me an example of a building project in the last ten or fifteen years where the money didn't win?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Edgewater lost

https://forum.isthmus.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=67197

I get it, Edgewater won the "building project" but they lost the war on increased noise on Friday/Saturday? Nights.

This Edgewood thing seems more like the latter. There has been no talk about visual compatability for the football field expansion.

I think the Monroe streeters have just as much right to object to additional noise as the apartment dwellers across from Edgewater did. I get that neither will get much empathy as they are well off old people.

Truthseeker

Postby Truthseeker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:40 am

gargantua wrote:No. The neighbors are being unreasonable NIMBYs. You're probably one of them. Edgewood is an asset to the community, and the stadium will not have anything like the impact that overwrought opponents imagine.

Yes, Edgewood has been an asset to the community, but a stadium with 8 story high lights and amplified sound is not. Edgewood has been disingenuous in the process, and the neighbors can not trust Edgewood as to the usage, time and frequency of the stadium. Yes, I am a neighbor who has supported Edgewood in the past, but not this time! I am a Truthseeker, not a NIMBY. Thank you, Snoqueen for acknowledging that the neighbors have legitimite concerns. To the Goodman Foundation: Withdraw your support for the Edgewood Stadium....this project is not in keeping with the goodwill and neighborliness promoted by Irwin and Robert Goodman.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:58 am

I really have a hard time with the "additional noise" argument. The opponents paint a picture of a pristine, quiet neighborhood. No one who has spent time in traffic on Monroe Street believes that. It's a busy urban area. The people of the neighborhood think nothing of the power mowers, snowblowers, and leaf blowers that generate a considerable amount of noise. They sell parking spots in their yards to attendees of Badger football games.
And THIS proposal is going to ruin the neighborhood? Please.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:05 pm

I played football for Dominican High School in Whitefish Bay during the early 60s. Dominican is the sister school of Edgewood H.S., both operated by the Sinsinawa Dominican nuns. We did not have our own field (although we did have a practice field a couple blocks away next to the then Bayshore Shopping Center). We played our home games on Sunday afternoons at the Whitefish Bay H.S. field. Since they were day games, lighting was never an issue. The big drawback was that we played at the same time as Packers games.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Cadfael wrote:Can you give me an example of a building project in the last ten or fifteen years where the money didn't win?

That's a fair question. It really depends on what you mean by win. Most projects get done, but very few get done as originally proposed.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Cadfael wrote:Can you give me an example of a building project in the last ten or fifteen years where the money didn't win?

The (I believe) neighboring association to this one did get the the barbecue restaurant run off of Monroe street because it was smoking meat on premesis. In that case, the neighbors won, but they probably had more financial resources than the business did.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm

gargantua wrote:

That's a fair question. It really depends on what you mean by win. Most projects get done, but very few get done as originally proposed.

I'll grant that, but I believe most of them include giveaways in their proposals. Things that are over the top so they can say okay, we'll drop this and this, and then get what they want anyway. And the things the neighborhoods were really worried about stay just as they are.

Truthseeker

Postby Truthseeker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 am

Connect the dots: Edgewood High School WANTS an athletic stadium.
E.G. Schramka, VP of Goodman Foundation, is on Edgewood Highschool's Business and Finance
Commitee,
EHS is "awarded" 1.5 miillion for an athletic stadium.
REALLY??? Is this how the Goodman Foundation is supposed to work? No one knows because
the Goodman Foundation has NO Mission Statement, NO Vision Statemdent, NO website, NO
transparency.
Mary Rouse, Robert Pricer, Howard Sweet, You are on the Goodman Foundation Board. FIX THIS!

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:34 am

The Monroe Street neighborhood is teetering on the brink of oblivion if you take the vocal NIMBY crowd seriously. It doesn't matter if it is a restaurant preparing food, Art Gecko adding a stone sign to the terrace that they landscaped, an apartment replacing a run down building, etc., etc. Anything and everything is ruining the neighborhood. Won't someone think of the children? Or the elderly? Or the animals? Or whatever we think has the best chance of shutting down what we are cranky about?

Anyone that's surprised that the Monroe Street corridor is developing or that a high school would want to improve their facilities is either an idiot or is being deliberately obtuse.

Edgewood isn't proposing anything different from what exists at most other high schools in the area. It's not going to be a second Camp Randall as the Monroe Street neighborhood would like you to believe. Most high schools have athletic fields in neighborhoods. I live about three blocks from one of them. In my opinion the light and sounds from the handful of night events each fall is more than welcome, it's a nice reminder that I live in a community.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 am

Only two of the four Madison public high schools have their own football field.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Only two of the four Madison public high schools have their own football field.

That's why I said "area".

Truthseeker

How Good is the Goodman Foundation for Madison?

Postby Truthseeker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:40 am

Beard....THe difference is ....you chose to live next to a stadium...I did not! And the lies surrounding the "need" for this stadium are numerous. I am elderly and I relish my time to read, reflect and relax. I probably pay twice the taxes you do to be able to just that. Why should I be forced to give up my lifestyle? For what?? A beautiful athletic field currently exists on the Edgewood property. Edgewood does not need a stadium. This proposed stadium is being funded by the Goodman Foundation. Where is the Goodman Foundation website that addresses the criteria for how projects are funded? Where is the transparency? Would Irwin and Robert Goodman want to be the cause of this lack of civility and divisiveness? The Goodman Foundation should withdraw its support of the EHS stadium!

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Only two of the four Madison public high schools have their own football field.

East plays at Breese Stevens now I believe, which is a lot more convenient for their students than having to go to La Follette. I'm sure the perfect situation geographically would be something at Demetral, but Stevens is historic, and after the remodel, a very nice place to play.

West is simply limited by geography. They presumably practice several levels of soccer and football on the field across the road, which would make it hard to use for games since it would likely be in bad shape during particularly dry or wet years.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:Ok, I did the assigned background reading...

Assigned? *sigh*

snoqueen wrote:As far as whether high school and college football will be around in the future — we can't have this argument in a sensible way because nobody knows. Get back to me in 25 years, or 40. Don't forget where collegiate boxing ended up.

D'you think that's a sensible comparison? I don't know how big an economic driver collegiate boxing ever was, but I'd be quite surprised to learn it was even in the same ballpark (sorry) as football.

I do have firsthand knowledge about industry funding research to mitigate risk. Happens all the time, with benefits that extend well beyond the original target.

But you could be right, football could go the way of hoop-rolling for all I know.

Return to “Town Vibe”