How Good is the Goodman Foundation for Madison?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How Good is the Goodman Foundation for Madison?

Postby kurt_w » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:53 pm

dogmeat wrote:If you think that's the core of why the Clinton Foundation is be criticized then you're ignoring the issues.

Well, duh. Of course that's not why the Clinton Foundation is be criticized.

It is be criticized because Hillary Clinton is running for President, and if there's one thing that conservatives loooooooooove to do, it's to go completely ballistic over the Clintons.

They spent $40 million dollars on the "Whitewater" witch hunt, and came up with nothing.

They accused Hillary Clinton of murdering a guy named Vince Foster, and when that fizzed out, they began yammering about a whole bunch of people Bill and Hillary supposedly killed (a nice explanation of that particular insanity is here).

They doggedly pursued an overwhelmingly unpopular campaign to impeach the first President Clinton for an extramarital affair. The impeachment campaign was initiated by serial adulterer Newt Gingrich, briefly handed off to serial adulterer Bob Livingston, and finally concluded under the leadership of alleged child rapist Dennis Hastert. End result: the Clintons' approval ratings were higher than ever.

They're currently on the eighth (? -- hard to keep track) "investigation" of BENGHAZI ... because conservatives threw a temper tantrum when the previous seven investigations found no wrongdoing worth mentioning.

Like many left-of-center forons I'm not a huge fan of the Clintons. But when I look at the never-ending parade of groundless, vicious attacks and wacko conspiracy theories they've been subjected to, I have to grudgingly give them some respect for hanging in there.

Anyway, that's why the right wing tried to gin up some kind of vague "controversy" over the Clintons' charity foundation.

Because they're the Clintons. Inventing bizarre conspiracy theories and then demanding endless, decade-long "investigations" is what conservatives do when there's a Clinton around.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:52 pm

dogmeat wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The recent faux scandal over the Clinton Foundation illustrates this point. That group hires people (often doctors) to deliver services and advice, and as employees their salaries are considered "administrative costs."

Whoever told you that is straight up lying. Those costs should be accounted for as "Services". If they really are claiming those costs are administrative the only purpose would be to obscure the true extent of their administrative spending.

If you think that's the core of why the Clinton Foundation is be criticized then you're ignoring the issues.

Hey, I got my information from a neutral, credible source: Paul Begala on a Sunday Morning news show. 8)

The link to the Wash Post analysis actually does seem to be pretty balanced. I see very little smoke or fire. I doubt that Repubs are going to generate anything outside of some taunting within Republican world. Along with references to email servers, it will provide some gag lines at the Repub convention.

ttt3
Forum Addict

Postby ttt3 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:43 pm

While it sounds like the Goodmans were good people, one thing I'm curious about is how exactly they amassed such a fortune selling jewelry with only a single retail location. Did they have any other business interests? Maybe just invested the profits really wisely at the right time (stock market, etc)?

While the markup and profit margin on jewelry is no doubt pretty nice, I'm just curious why you don't hear about these types of foundations from the owners of other long time Madison businesses (how about Chalmer's? or Kessler's?). Maybe I'm in the wrong business and need to start a jewelry store ASAP? Half the time I walk by jewelry stores it seems like the places are empty and the staff are sitting around staring at the wall.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:39 pm

TT3. I've asked the question you've put so well in my own mind. Yes, as I recollect, the Goodman's had a single jewelry store and their foundation is now worth more than $50,000.00. The Oscar Rennebohm Foundation has much less (about a third of that amount apparently) and Rennebohm had all those drug stores (which also have high profit margins). Plus, Oscar was the state's Governor.

I was shocked to see how much money is in the Goodman Foundation (it is also about $30 million larger than the Evjue Foundation. That is one of the reasons behind this story and also my call for more transparency. I have no doubt that Mr. Schramka, who likely was the jewelry stores accountant when the brothers were still alive, made sure that the good brothers paid next to nothing in taxes. Certainly not illegal but was that good for the overall society? And is not that part of the haves vs. the have not society that America has become?

Again, I applaud the Evjue Foundation (which is also private) for at least releasing lots of information about what they do and how they fund grant applications. Who cares if they sometimes seem to toot their own horn; that's pretty much behind the whole idea of foundations anyway.

The Goodman Foundation (and other privates) should do the same thing. Spend a couple of thousand bucks (out of $50 million) on a web site, let people know what you are interested in funding and let them apply for money (and have some guidelines on your funding). NONE OF THAT NOW EXISTS AT THE GOODMAN FOUNDATION. And I say again, whoever reviewed their foundation forms at the IRS should be fired for incompetence.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:47 pm

More perfidy from the legacy of Bob and Irwin. Just think - building a swimming pool, and offering free admission. Scandal!

So, let's see flamer -- on NO INFORMATION, you have accused the Goodmans of nefariously dodging taxes and contributing to the "haves vs the have not society that America has become." You have demanded that the foundation change its entire business model. You are demanding that an entirely private foundation create a website, and go further than anything required by law.

Yeah, you're a flamer all right.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Slight correction - the free admission being underwritten by Goodman's Jewelers, not the Foundation.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:00 pm

fflambeau wrote:(and have some guidelines on your funding)

Their guidelines are probably, "well give our money to whoever the fuck we want to because it's our money"

I'm confused what is so hard to understand about this.

Neade
Forum Addict

Postby Neade » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:18 pm

fflambeau wrote:the Goodman's had a single jewelry store and their foundation is now worth more than $50,000.00

Did you mean to say $50 million?

Some people are good with handling money. You know, investing it, saving it. Some people are like you, which is to say not very good at those things. And besides being bad with money, they're also assjacks.

Some people are not very good with money but don't have anything against those who are. That's how I try to live, even though envy sometimes gets the best of me. But it truly takes a special breed of asshole to suspect those who are good with money and who live very modestly (the Goodmans famously shared an apartment for much of their lives) while devoting their lives to funding community initiatives and being, in general, quite generous with very little return other than using their names and lauding their benevolence.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Spot on. Hell freezes over.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:46 pm

If I owned a jewelery store and made a boat load of money, I'd also have spent said boatload of money on hookers and blow.

But yeah, let's crap on the Goodmans.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 pm

fflambeau is really reinforcing the impression that they are jealous and greedy for that foundations money.

fflambeau wrote:The Goodman Foundation (and other privates) should do the same thing. Spend a couple of thousand bucks (out of $50 million) on a web site, let people know what you are interested in funding and let them apply for money (and have some guidelines on your funding). NONE OF THAT NOW EXISTS AT THE GOODMAN FOUNDATION. And I say again, whoever reviewed their foundation forms at the IRS should be fired for incompetence.

Why can't you understand that they're not interested in receiving applications and giving out grants? That is not how their foundation does business. That is also not a legal requirement, nor will it ever be. There are other foundations you can send grant applications to. I suspect you have and you've been rejected by them.

I bet if the philanthropic community ever manages to attach a real identity to this poster that they'll be forever blacklisted from grants. Baseless criticism of a non-political/public relations foundation than has done nothing wrong is piss-poor way get the charity whales to smile upon you.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Has anyone here read that book about the Goodman brothers? An interesting read?

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:56 pm

:"Has anyone here read that book about the Goodman brothers? An interesting read?"

If you are referring to the book by Doug Moe, it was commissioned by the Goodman Foundation. According to this report, the Goodman Foundation board approached Moe to write the book. That means they funded it. See: http://president.rotarymadison.org/tag/doug-moe/
I'm sure that book commission cost a great deal more than it would to set up a web site (that's cheap to do).

For those who have mindlessly attacked me here, I have no doubt that the Goodman Brothers and the foundation they set up have made substantial contributions to the community. I have said that above (many times). Here are some links to articles showing some of their good deeds: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... b1b80.html.

And: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

And: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/opinio ... 03286.html

What I am principally concerned about, and I've also said this multiple times, is the transparency of this foundation, which is lacking.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Their transparency is not lacking at all. Transparency of the kind you're suggesting is not expected from a PRIVATE foundation that does not take donations. The transparency expected of them is the filing of tax and employment forms, and they do fill out the forms with the information they are required to report.

It doesn't matter if a website is cheap. That foundation is not interested in the things a website can provide.

It's not hard to understand. You just refuse to accept the facts. They don't want people contacting them, begging for money. They do the groundwork themselves to find the people and projects they want to fund.

sbell

Postby sbell » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm starting to suspect that fflambeau is the latest incarnation of Sheppy.

Return to “Town Vibe”