Proposals for the Garver Feed Mill

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Kashka-Kat

Re: Proposals for the Garver Feed Mill

Postby Kashka-Kat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Try industrial ruins......

Mill Ruins Park in MPLS a close example - others out east I cant think of at the moment. Can be just 4 simple walls with trees in an urban block or vast canyons of what remains of old factories. Or entire towns -eg Fayette, MI or St. Elmo, CO - CO has ghost town preservation down to a science - many privately owned but designated historic. Idea is to stabilize/preserve from further deterioration, but allowed to remain ruins.

But you know WI - with its Germanic neatfreak culture - we cant have any ruins just left sitting there! Theyre too old! Too messy!

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Kashka-Kat wrote:But you know WI - with its Germanic neatfreak culture - we cant have any ruins just left sitting there! Theyre too old! Too messy!

Yeah. I feel bad because I like to look at it and wander around it. I don't talk about it much because I'm usually the only one. The looks I get when I say it out loud are pretty good reasons to not say it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm

I went through the old Syd Boyum house last week. It reminded me of abandoned houses us kids liked to explore way, way back in the day. We didn't have all the electronic toys, so exploring an old place was fun. And yes, I've explored Garver also.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Ducatista wrote:
jman111 wrote:A quick Google search...

Did you just LMGTFY me? You think I'd ask without first doing my homework? I really am interested in the idea. I'm a Friend of the High Line, for crying out loud.

My searches were a little more targeted than yours, to filter out things like SW cave dwellings: "preserving urban ruins," then "preserving urban ruins" –Greyfriars –Blackfriars, then "urban ruins"+ preservation, then just "urban ruins."

I asked sno for help only after I came up short. Yeah, I could've searched more, but it seemed reasonable to hand it over at that point to someone who knows.

Kashka-kat got closest to the idea I was trying to express. Others have posted good links, though most are PDFs nobody will download.

I didn't mean to suggest other parts of the US were so much better than Madison in this regard. Our city just hasn't been all that creative with our public spaces period. Maybe the East Coast does better just because it has more old buildings and infrastructure due to the cities themselves being older.

We just love tearing stuff down and starting clean, as K-k recognized.

Maybe we don't have the best conditions for an urban ruin site, but we aren't exactly taking advantage of the conditions we do have. We've been cautious beyond belief. No one would visit from out of town for the purpose of seeing our public spaces, except maybe for the Arboretum.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:15 am

snoqueen wrote:No one would visit from out of town for the purpose of seeing our public spaces, except maybe for the Arboretum.

They do it all the time. Granted, the Capitol isn't particularly forward thinking.

I'm disappointed but not surprised that we're not "several decades behind" on the urban ruin front. I'd likely have known about it. I'm more of a fan of unsanctioned ruins, so I'd've probably heard grumbling on the UE/infiltration side, like: how dare The Man co-opt my favorite ruins.

I can sympathize with that crowd... I grew up crossing the WI River in Wausau on the Stewart-Barker Island rail trestles. Back then the trestles and island were wild spaces in the middle of the city, rumored to hide murderers and worse. Crossing alone on my way to and from downtown was a pastoral thrill. Now it's a park that includes the Barker-Stewart Interpretive Trail. Where's the fun in THAT? And when did they flip the damned name, or did I just get it wrong as a kid?

For those who don't need their ruins parkified: the MKW lakefront has a wealth of abandoned industrial spaces. Menomonee Valley, too. Some are fairly heavily patrolled, either by camera or in person or both, and some that look completely derelict are still in use. But there's still plenty of forgotten space for exploring.

Lots more in towns around the state. Not so many in Madison, I suppose, because we're provincial rubes and uptight Germans, or because commercial interests in thriving cities tend to find ways to make land make money, or both.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:58 am

It's often noted that economic hard times are great for preservation. Dubuque is like a movie set because nobody had the money to change much in their downtown for decades. Rochester NY is known for fine old buildings because their businesses got stuck in old technology and never made the leap to digital. Mill towns in New Jersey have great industrial architecture because the mills shut down.

I guess Madison could have worse complaints. For an easy example, we just tore down the old Ray-o-Vac factory and a cool mid-mod Kohl's grocery by Union Corners and built some generic apartments and a health center. We're simply on a different path out here and we do like keeping things cleaned up.

I guess the Capitol is a default Madison public space, but since the Act 10 thing I've seen it more as state of Wisconsin property (and stayed away). It's got its own police force, it doesn't pay Madison taxes, and we have no control over what is done to it, but the only way to get there is by going to Madison. It's sort of a special case.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:24 am

snoqueen wrote:For an easy example, we just tore down the old Ray-o-Vac factory and a cool mid-mod Kohl's grocery by Union Corners and built some generic apartments and a health center.

I still weep for that fabulous Kohl's parking lot sign. My husband took a great shot of it that I sometimes use as my Macbook desktop picture.

snoqueen wrote:I guess the Capitol is a default Madison public space, but since the Act 10 thing I've seen it more as state of Wisconsin property (and stayed away).

That's too bad! I was a committed thug during the Act 10 era, and I was SPITTING mad at the limited Capitol access that lingered for a while after. I'm sure there's more than one bitter post from me about that on TDPF. But once they opened it back up I fell right back into using it as the world's most extravagant sidewalk.

In fact, it was shortly after Act 10 that a friend and I got to go all the way to the tippy top and walk around that tiny, uppermost outside balcony, thanks to a friendly (to us), disgruntled (at Walker et al) security guard who struck up a conversation with us after we helped haul the state Christmas tree inside.

Doesn't matter who owns it, it's a Madison place to me. Same with the Memorial Union Terrace. Belongs to the UW, but it's absolutely a Madison place.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 am

Ducatista wrote:Doesn't matter who owns it, it's a Madison place to me. Same with the Memorial Union Terrace. Belongs to the UW, but it's absolutely a Madison place.
But we both know which has the better beer.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:33 am

Ducatista wrote:
snoqueen wrote:For an easy example, we just tore down the old Ray-o-Vac factory and a cool mid-mod Kohl's grocery by Union Corners and built some generic apartments and a health center.

I still weep for that fabulous Kohl's parking lot sign. My husband took a great shot of it that I sometimes use as my Macbook desktop picture.

snoqueen wrote:I guess the Capitol is a default Madison public space, but since the Act 10 thing I've seen it more as state of Wisconsin property (and stayed away).
I'm sure there's more than one bitter post from me about that on TDPF.

Oh Yeah? I'll bet Shorty wants you to find that post for him.
Aside from that, while it's not a ruin or structure, I'd nominate State Street itself as a tourist draw.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 am

gargantua wrote:
Ducatista wrote:I'm sure there's more than one bitter post from me about that on TDPF.

Oh Yeah? I'll bet Shorty wants you to find that post for him.

Heh. First crack, +capitol +lockdown, right from the search bar on this page, no advanced search required:

There are probably more, but I'd say the point's made.

Shorty wrote:Forum searches don't always work.

Snark aside, I could give you some tips if you're interested.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:10 am

State Street is more of a truck stop.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 pm

gargantua wrote:Oh Yeah? I'll bet Shorty wants you to find that post for him.
Aside from that, while it's not a ruin or structure, I'd nominate State Street itself as a tourist draw.

Huh?

Developer begins construction at Garver Feed Mill site
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... adison.com

"Construction is underway at the historic Garver Feed Mill on Madison's East Side as Baum Revision finalized the purchase of the building from the city. The $19.8 million project will remodel the crumbling landmark and its surrounding five acres at 109 S. Fair Oaks Ave. into an artisan food production facility with dozens of short-term rental units. Future tenants for the main building include Underground Catering, Ian's Pizza and Nessalla Kombucha, according to Baum Revision."

Kashka-Kat

Postby Kashka-Kat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:43 am

OMG. dozens? Its worse than I thought - that place is going to smell and it's not going to be pleasant.Depending on weather conditions, could be quite problematic for immediate neighbors (eg Olbrich Gardens). Theres a reason why industrial food production is generally relegated to industrially zoned areas. This is not your mom's home cooking... and even if it was something half-way pleasant (eg that sugary-yeasty smell around the former Gardners bakery) odor is something that quickly becomes a nuisance when its all day, every frikken day. Oh well, dont say I didnt warn ya.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:49 am

My question is, will I still be able to walk the dogs along the creek from Fair Oaks to the bike path? What's the plan for that edge of the lot?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:02 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:My question is, will I still be able to walk the dogs along the creek from Fair Oaks to the bike path? What's the plan for that edge of the lot?

If I remember the artist's conception, if you start from Fair Oaks at the bridge, you'll be walking her through pretty much the same thing till you turn right at the branch . Then it be a maintained lawn, then a small orchard, artwork, and some gardens, some of them demonstrational/experimental and others more for cash crops. I believe there were plans for a small boat pier - canoes, kayaks, etc - across from Leon or Richard Streets.

But we all know how fluid these things get. The apartment building where Kessinich's is now will undoubtedly have an effect on the surrounding area.

Return to “Town Vibe”