House hunting

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: House hunting

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:05 pm

How come we all post links to ZIllow? Redfin has a much more efficient interface if you ask me, though maybe it's just optimized better for my tablet.

Here's the same Bridge Rd listing on Redfin:

https://www.redfin.com/WI/Monona/5701-B ... e/57605493

Try getting used to it and see what you think.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Wonder how much the staging cost on the Bridge Rd. house. The light fixtures and other details scream mid-late 1970s.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 am

Beard wrote:
massimo wrote:Oh, crap, I am confusing it with this one. Sorry!

The house looks to be in solid, albeit dated, shape. If I had to pick one reason that it is having trouble selling I'd blame it on all that paneling.

I wonder if it smells like poop from MMSD when the wind comes from the southwest.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:29 am

On a side note, it's a shame that both the sewer district and the school district go by the same initials.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:40 pm

o my goodness this thread looks like "mouse hunting"

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 pm

New Monona listing

This one was purchased in 2015 for $145k. Three years and a bunch of grayification later they are asking $275k. Assessed value is $173k. Good luck.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:00 pm

You best love your family if you buy that one because, aside from the bedrooms, there will be no escaping them.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:17 pm

massimo wrote:You best love your family if you buy that one because, aside from the bedrooms, there will be no escaping them.

It’s such an oddly laid out floor plan. Aside from the whole thing being open there seems to be an exterior door on almost every wall.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:35 pm

They seem to think if you can't actually remove a wall for structural reasons, the next best thing is to cut it full of holes.

People, walls were invented for a reason. They hide clutter. They cut down on noise. They divide your house into separate areas where people can do different things without bothering one another. They make it easier to decorate because you're working on one space at a time. You can even hang pictures on them! They keep the inside of your house from looking like a four car garage.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 pm

I have always liked the looks of the Baskerville building and the layout of this 744 sq ft condo makes it seem bigger than it is. Still, I can't imagine living there. The windows that are all below waist level of anyone outside and the front door on the corner aren't a recipe for coziness.

Oddly, there's two pictures that seem to go out of their way to highlight the condo's front entrance and how it opens up almost directly into a crosswalk on a busy intersection.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:They seem to think if you can't actually remove a wall for structural reasons, the next best thing is to cut it full of holes.

People, walls were invented for a reason. They hide clutter. They cut down on noise. They divide your house into separate areas where people can do different things without bothering one another. They make it easier to decorate because you're working on one space at a time. You can even hang pictures on them! They keep the inside of your house from looking like a four car garage.

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes The Next New Cool Thing fairly soon. Open Concept is starting to feel a bit shopworn.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:59 am

Beard wrote:I have always liked the looks of the Baskerville building and the layout of this 744 sq ft condo makes it seem bigger than it is. Still, I can't imagine living there. The windows that are all below waist level of anyone outside and the front door on the corner aren't a recipe for coziness.

Oddly, there's two pictures that seem to go out of their way to highlight the condo's front entrance and how it opens up almost directly into a crosswalk on a busy intersection.

I've been inside that condo. It makes a quirky but liveable space for somebody who really, really wants to be downtown on a smaller budget and is willing to put up with traffic, noise, and close quarters.

You can't be paranoid about security, because all the windows are right at street level. The interior is all crazy angles because they had to box in any number of structural and mechanical elements. It's certainly not roomy.

At the same time, it's a good solid building, they used quality finishes, you get lots of natural light, you get both a private entrance (some previous residents simply blocked that one) and another entry off the common hallway, and if you love downtown Madison or work in the immediate area, you can't get more convenience for the price. It might be a great weekday condo for a person who commutes to Madison, maybe for the government, from outstate.

And when you come to sell, it's sure to at least hold its value because Capitol Square isn't going anyplace.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:11 am

Hey, here's your long-awaited update on that Heart House on Johns St.

The lot to its immediate south was sold separately and a new house is under construction. They just poured the basement a couple days ago, and it looks like they are trying to preserve some of the trees around the edges.

The old house, though, is not being torn down. It looked like it was being prepared for demolition, but I was wrong about that. I talked to one of the construction workers yesterday and got more of the story.

The present owner is trying to fix it up to rent out. Right now they're trying to put in normal wiring and normal heating. Both projects are impeded by the fact most of the walls and floors are solid concrete. (I didn't notice when I toured it, but that does explain a lot, like why all the wiring was in conduit snaking along the walls.) The guy said the crew thought maybe it was built to be a bomb shelter. They'd come to the conclusion the whole thing was nuts, but a job is a job, right?

The workmen decided it would have been better to just push the whole thing over when they excavated for the new foundation next door. Unfortunately this didn't happen and now we get to look at that weird, dismal thing for another half century. I think this one belongs in the basket labeled "throwing good money after bad."

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:02 pm

snoqueen wrote:They seem to think if you can't actually remove a wall for structural reasons, the next best thing is to cut it full of holes.

I love on HGTV when all the newb parents want open floor plans to watch their kids every minute of the day. Dude. They're infant/toddler for the blink of an eye. Pretty soon you'll be wishing for two separate rooms so you don't have to hear/watch one more minute of Fortnite/Disney channel or of them trying to beat each other to death with their Hatchimals. Walls are amazing.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Whoa. That layout is just bizarre.

snoqueen wrote:You can even hang pictures on them!

Speaking of: all their pictures are hung about a foot too high. Why do people DO that?

Beard wrote:I have always liked the looks of the Baskerville building and the layout of this 744 sq ft condo makes it seem bigger than it is.

That's how cutouts should work. A tiny layout that's bright and airy, connected but still defined.

I wish they'd photoshopped the camera out of the vanity shot. Or is that verboten?

Return to “Town Vibe”