What do you like about your neighborhood?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What do you like about your neighborhood?

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Hill Farm. Walking distance to a good school, parks, shops, bus lines, etc. Easy commutes for both myself and my spouse, due to where we work. Lots of families with kids. Nobody bothers me about having weeds in my lawn. People are generally tolerant and laid back.

And we're not too far from other cool neighborhoods as well, especially now that the kids are getting more and more mobile on their bikes.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:12 pm

This thread has made me miss some of these very fine neighborhoods which I have lived in my years in Madison.

Vilas, near 2 lakes and the zoo and a brother, still walking distance to the UW.

Atwood, the Barrymore, the Harmony, Monty's, and another brother. Still biking distance to the downtown and UW.

Eken Park, my first house, great neighbors, and the another brother. Still biking and occasionally walking distance from the the downtown and the UW.

Now I live in the outlands but I still love my neighbors. They just happen to live a little farther away. I don't bike but I can walk to some of their houses.

mlmaguire

Postby mlmaguire » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 am

I can't read the previous posts and not give a shoutout to the Northside (and that's the proper spelling!) Bought a small house off Aberg after seeing nothing but shitholes (for the price) in other areas. Turns out this is one sweeeeet location. Small houses, good people that take pride in what they have. Bus hub is across the street (although some of my neighbors hate it). Plenty of grocery/shopping options, and the Northside Farmer's Market ROCKS. Warner Park is up the road, and I live far enough away to be amused by Rhythm and Booms and Mallards, but I have neighbors closer that get real irritated by the noise at times. But Warner is a beautiful park and I invite, nay COMMAND, everyone to go there and experience it firsthand. Good choice of great restaurants within walking distance: La Bellitalia, Vientiene Palace, Smoky Jon's, even QQ is good for a buffet. And now that a certain troublesome liquor-slinging establishment has kindly been closing early, in the evenings it is city-serene, even with the occasional Oscar truck going past. I spend plenty of evenings in the back yard being thankful that I moved here. Sometimes I get a little wistful for downtown, then realize that I am no longer of an age where I would be amused by all-night house parties. To summarize: "Northside: don't dis it until you've tried it, cuz then you'll realize you are SO wrong..."

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:59 am

I just ran across this nice thread. Thought I'd bump it to give people a chance to either add to it, or provide an update. In my case, I'm still happy living in Hill Farms. A lot of the surrounding area has changed, like the demolition of the Hill Farms building and the changes to Hilldale, which turned out OK. The residential part of the neighborhood is the same, except that a lot of the elderly have moved out and replaced by young families. I like having kids around though.
My guess is that most of the earlier posters have stayed put too.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Yah, still in Baycreek. We still see lots of gray heads at the neighborhood association, but I've also met some nice young families. I put the kitty fountain, my kitty rejected, on the listserve, to give away. The family gave me a nice bag of home grown produce in return! Park St. is having a building boom. The little Pick N Save may get knocked down as part of a larger Dean Clinic. We hope to get a new grocery store but might be without one for two years. Lots of conflicting info. from people who ought to know. The new expo. center will affect us, not sure how. I am happy for the south side neighborhood, getting a new Madison College. Good on them!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:59 pm

East side by Olbrich has been good to me. Quiet neighborhood, reasonable neighbors, not too picky or too messy. I've been here 12 years after more than 30 years in Tenney Lapham and, looking back, I see it was a good move for me. If I'd stayed in the old place my property values would have gone up more, but that's not the only worthwhile metric for success. I have more yard space here, it's much quieter and less trouble prone, and the house is considerably smaller which suits me better. Old houses can be a real money toilet.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:49 pm

I just reread my post from over 7 years ago. The sentiments I expressed are still the same.

metas

Postby metas » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I have owned a house in Tenney-Lapham for 39 years and the last five years have been a game changer for the positive. I love having Festival Foods two blocks away. Breese Stevens sat mostly empty for most of those years but has come back to life. Sure, events there bring more traffic, parking issues, and noise but those issues are managable compared to the net benefit of events at Breese. It is fun seeing more street activity since I’m sure half of the people in the new high-rise East Washington apartments are dog owners who walk their dogs daily. I have never owned a car in my life and the bus service on east Washington, Gorham, and Johnson is good and it is an easy 30 minute walk to the UW. The one concern is high housing values in the neighborhood leading to increased property taxes for retirees like me on small pensions. When I bought my house in 1980 it was affordable on my blue collar salary but would not be today.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Also, your property valuation has gone up 600% since you bought it. I just checked the city database. Not too shabby.

Merry Christmas to my old neighbor metas and everyone else out there!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:40 pm

It's always nice to see people come back to visit this neighborhood - The Forum.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:47 pm

I wonder why I skipped this one 7 years ago. Back then we lived on the southwest fringe near Verona. I loved it because it was close to great hiking areas. Sweetie hated it, because of the crime and because it was so far away from everything else. The commute was bad, as I worked on the far east side of town.

We moved to Sunset Village, just east of Hilldale Mall in 2015. The commute was much shorter, but now that I'm retired that isn't as big a deal. I like our neighbors, the convenience of three grocery stores in walking distance and the fact that there's no murders here!!!! A few years before we moved from the SW side, there was a lot of crime.

I don't like what's happened at Hilldale Mall and environs. It's clear the city wants to move the elderly and disabled out of this area so they can totally gentrify it. I like a good mix of people, but the city only cares about the rich.

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:57 am

I am still liking my neighborhood in Shorewood Hills. We were literally next door to flooding this year. Some neighbors have moved out or passed on, but our new neighbors are lovely. I still love being able to bus/walk to work at UW, and walk almost everywhere else I might need to go.

When I go down to Willy St I miss my old condo, (2nd floor overlooking will and few) but for my now 5 person household it would not be possible. But I enjoy going back.

I really miss my old neighborhood in London, it was walking distance to Notting Hill and Kensington Gardens/Hyde park. I loved waking up in London and having so much to be able to go and see.

Oh well... it was a fun few years.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:45 am

Monona -

Small town feel within a short distance to the east side/downtown; we're closer to those areas than a lot of people with actual Madison addresses. Large yards, quiet streets, nice library, park system and access to the lake and lake loop for running/biking. We're a block off of the lake and can easily bring our kayaks or paddleboard to the water - honestly I think that we get more use out of the lake than many of the people with homes on the water, they often seem to be deserted. Good school district.

We've been in our house since 2001. We liked Monona right away but it has been steadily improving and we like it more all the time. The river development should prove to be a very nice addition to the area when it is complete.

I can't think of any real downsides. If I had to wish for something it would be for some better businesses on Monona Drive, a lot of them aren't anything that I have any interest in. Still, there are enough good ones that I can't really complain. Plus, we're so close to the isthmus that anything lacking on Monona Drive is a short bike ride or drive away.

Return to “Town Vibe”