House hunting

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beard
Forum Addict

Re: House hunting

Postby Beard » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:43 am

This house is really nice but...

$9,950 per month for rent! HOLY SH*T!

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Yeah that's a big rent check every month. I'm glad they included duplicate pictures of just about everything, in case I couldn't believe my eyes the first time. Also nice that they labeled the BAR in case the vision gets foggy around midnight.

Picture 43: Not sure how wise that wall treatment is next to the toilet. I mean what if you threw up all over it going for the bowl? That's not going to clean up well.

Picture 36: "All you need is love and a sunset" And a ten thousand dollar security deposit.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Beard wrote:
House #2 - I don't know exactly what this one sold for but based on the estimate it was likely over $1.5 million. It was torn down and some sort of gigantic fortress has been under construction for a long time. So far the foundation is all that's done and it's already obnoxious.

This thing is huge. Looking over from BB Clark it just dwarfs everything else over there. For a long time I was thinking it was going to be an interesting flat-roofed Dwell-ish affair, but then they put up the rafters and now it's turning into just another big ol' McManse.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
This thing is huge. Looking over from BB Clark it just dwarfs everything else over there. For a long time I was thinking it was going to be an interesting flat-roofed Dwell-ish affair, but then they put up the rafters and now it's turning into just another big ol' McManse.

It’s got a ways to go before it’s finished but right now it looks more like a large bank or clinic than a house.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Easy enough to pick apart these people's taste in wall art, bathroom decor, and icky bedspreads, but I gotta say that view of the Madison downtown skyline is as good as it gets.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 am

snoqueen wrote:Easy enough to pick apart these people's taste in wall art, bathroom decor, and icky bedspreads, but I gotta say that view of the Madison downtown skyline is as good as it gets.

In my opinion that stretch of Tonyawatha is the best lake property in the Madison area. It certainly has the best views.

That view is a huge asset to that house but also a bit of a downside. The house sits next to the newly renovated Wyldehaven Park. The dock and viewing platform at the park are heavily used (especially at sunset) and sit virtually on top of this house's patio - it starts right next to the rack with the kayaks and paddle boards. You're never going to get to sit peacefully on your patio and watch the sunset by yourself. For $10k a month, people might not appreciate that.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 am

Beard wrote:House #2

Not only a pool, but a pool with lane lines and a diving board. Posthumous respect.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am

massimo wrote:In contrast to the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Monona, here's one that should easily fetch asking price, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one approach or even go north of $350k. Unless there are some hidden gremlins I'm not seeing, it's just a solid, simple home in a pretty good location.

Well I was apparently way off on this one. I posted this on 5/24, and it's still on the market. I don't get it. Maybe only having 3 BR is holding it back? Maybe the color scheme is a bit... bleak.

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:51 am

massimo wrote:
massimo wrote:In contrast to the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Monona, here's one that should easily fetch asking price, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one approach or even go north of $350k. Unless there are some hidden gremlins I'm not seeing, it's just a solid, simple home in a pretty good location.

Well I was apparently way off on this one. I posted this on 5/24, and it's still on the market. I don't get it. Maybe only having 3 BR is holding it back? Maybe the color scheme is a bit... bleak.

It sold at the end of July for $293k, $22k less than the initial asking price in May.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:54 am

Oh, crap, I am confusing it with this one. Sorry!

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:03 am

massimo wrote:Oh, crap, I am confusing it with this one. Sorry!

The house looks to be in solid, albeit dated, shape. If I had to pick one reason that it is having trouble selling I'd blame it on all that paneling.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 am

The paneling is the only thing warming that interior up. It looks like a 3-generation team of Realtors got together and decorated an ice cave.

ichiban71

Postby ichiban71 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am

Ducatista wrote:

Not only a pool, but a pool with lane lines and a diving board. Posthumous respect.

I think that's Len Mattioli's place. I used to deliver food to him and you would get a strong whiff of chlorine when he opened the door. He was a good tipper!

Beard
Forum Addict

Postby Beard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 pm

ichiban71 wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

I think that's Len Mattioli's place. I used to deliver food to him and you would get a strong whiff of chlorine when he opened the door. He was a good tipper!

I can't speak from firsthand experience but I've heard that it was Lenny's house.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Beard wrote:
massimo wrote:Oh, crap, I am confusing it with this one. Sorry!

The house looks to be in solid, albeit dated, shape. If I had to pick one reason that it is having trouble selling I'd blame it on all that paneling.

Maybe — but primer, paint, and updated lighting could work miracles on that place. It's not my style, but if somebody handed me the keys I could turn it into a cozy/mod pad without spending a fortune.

Return to “Town Vibe”