Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Satya Rhodes-Conway
32%
Paul R. Soglin
37%
Nick Hart
11%
Raj Shukla
11%
Mo Cheeks
5%
Write In
5%

Total votes: 19

JoeT
Forum Addict

Re: Who are you voting for in the mayoral primary?

Postby JoeT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:46 am

snoqueen wrote:So far, I'm impressed by Raj Shukla because of his interest in clean energy. Madison is pretty well situated to add to the clean energy commitments it's already made, and I don't see any of the other candidates putting an emphasis on this. I think our county exec has done well in this regard and I'd like to see equal (and well-informed) commitment from our mayor. It's part of dealing with climate change, which is going to affect the city whether we talk about it or not.

Thanks for pointing this out. Otherwise, I had no idea about Shukla. For a long time, I pretty much ignored policy issues, since I basically didn't care how CO2 emission was decreased --- as long as it was.

This is the only thing I could find on his web site:

100% Green, Renewable Energy

The city should reach 100% renewable energy by 2030, with ALL of Madison following by 2045.
Make renewable energy the low cost option for all Madisonians.
Offer additional conditional uses or Expedited permitting for buildings that meet high environmental standards.
Ensure the utility companies are full partners as we reach these goals.
Explore municipal banking to finance residential clean energy projects.

Since I was confused by it, I should point out that by "the city" as opposed to "ALL of Madison" he means "the city government".

I'd like to know how you actually do this. If anyone can find more detailed plans on how to get to 100% renewable by 2045, post them here. What do you use for heat for example? Do you start ripping out gas lines and make everything electric? If so, where do you get the extra electricity from?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 am

This is the major issue that I have with all of the candidates. Pretty much all of them have laudable goals. But they don't tell us how they plan to go about achieving them. I suppose I should be used to that by now but it still bothers me.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm

The city has been putting solar panels on top of all their new buildings -- firehouses, etc -- for some time. The remodeled municipal services building is super energy efficient. These construction standards are expected in 2019.

What we can do with other older facilities --and we have plenty -- is limited by the amount of money we choose to apply. That, in turn is determined by how we prioritize the city's needs. Competing for funding are social programs and necessities like plowing snow.

In addition, we're balancing the short and long term. Energy efficiency may be more costly up front but saves in the long run. And how do we factor in the big picture of climate change and its costs? Even making the calculations raises more questions than it answers. If we wanted the city's facilities to be carbon neutral in five years, it might be possible but also might take the entire city budget to accomplish.

Energy efficient public buildings and decreasing CO2 emissions are a higher priority for some mayoral candidates, social programs take the lead for others, and I tend to think the longer a mayor is in office the more he (Soglin, this is) likes to spend on basic services because that's where people see results and failures first. If he didn't get the snow plowed, he'd never stay in office another year.

So when candidates describe their goals and priorities, it's more aspirational thinking than programming. I don't have a problem with this unless it's totally unrealistic, and I'm not seeing anything totally unrealistic in any of the candidates' statements so far.

JoeT
Forum Addict

Postby JoeT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the input. Energy efficiency is certainly important, but it doesn't get you to 100% renewables by 2045. I'm not questioning his good intent, but I'd like to see a serious plan. The severity of the problem calls for serious solutions. Wisconsin is something like 11th nationwide in relying on coal plants for energy. MGE still gets roughly 50% of its energy from coal plants like the Columbia Energy Center and the Oak Creek Power Plant. If you want to make a sizeable dent in CO2 emission that would be a good place to start.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:05 pm

I see the Mayor is trying to lock up the dog vote. Nice try Mr. Mayor - my dog is still annoyed by that "No Humping" ordinance you passed a few years ago.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm

Igor wrote:I see the Mayor is trying to lock up the dog vote.

I'll bite. How so? My guess is opening up more city parks to dogs?
And when did dogs get the right to vote?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:41 pm

He's letting employees bring their dogs to work in a city building someplace.

Oh, right. The city county building.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Cadfael wrote:He's letting employees bring their dogs to work in a city building someplace.

Oh, right. The city county building.

That's probably it. I'd be surprised if he didn't get the lion's share of the city employee vote. He's been very good to them.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Not anyone, because I don't live in Madison - interesting race though. So what are the odds that the grumpy old guy wins again?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Madsci wrote:Not anyone, because I don't live in Madison - interesting race though. So what are the odds that the grumpy old guy wins again?

90%, considering that he might die first. Otherwise it's a lock.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 am

Madsci wrote:Not anyone, because I don't live in Madison - interesting race though. So what are the odds that the grumpy old guy wins again?

"Soglin - He's not just good, he's good enough"

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

can city employees bring their lions to work?

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:18 pm

How about goats?

Amelia Royko Maurer

Postby Amelia Royko Maurer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Supporting Satya Rhodes-Conway. Before developers threatened to unfriend Soglin, he practically endorsed her.

"Madison Mayor Paul Soglin had all but endorsed former Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway to succeed him. In July, he declared Rhodes-Conway “superior in every way” to the other candidates running for mayor in 2019...”

From “He’s a Relic” Dylan Brogan, Isthmus Oct 20 2018

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Satya Rhodes-Conway is basically Paul Soglin but with a less sunny disposition.

Return to “Local Politics & Government”